Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pressley out to Triple A again!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:19 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
And Mercer, despite only 80 innings, has amassed a -0.5 UZR already....that's poor enough over such a short time period that I don't think we can say he's close to Barmes. That's a drastic drop.

Why do you ignore Mercer's +2.8 UZR in 2012 over a larger sample size? He's clearly been better and can be better with more playing time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:59 pm 

Because the question isn't is he a poor defensive shortstop or a shortstop who is slightly below average. It's a question of if he's better than Barmes. Even at 2.8, he's not close defensively and isn't a revelation offensively to the extent that you'd be okay stomaching a guy that's in the 20-25 range for SS (like a Jed Lowrie, for instance).

Even giving him the benefit of the doubt and saying the 2.8 UZR/150 is more indicative of things, that's worse than Clint by a significant amount. And, in both seasons, his range rating of the UZR component has been a 0.1 (this year he has a worse ErrR than last). So, I think at the very least we can say that he's never likely to be above a fringe-average defender. Maybe just a steady handed SS at his peak, which has value, but shouldn't usurp a plus defender.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:42 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Small sample size, StarlingArcher. Mercer's defense hasn't been bad and, looking at the total numbers, he's been significantly better at the dish. I'm not sure I'm buying that huge UZR discrepancy. The eye test doesn't tell me that Barmes is getting to a ton of balls that Mercer isn't.

Not a huge fan of modern fielding metrics either, but if the eye test was worth a damn nobody would be trying to find better fielding metrics.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:44 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
It's normalized over 150 innings. And I think eyes are inherently biased into showing us what we want to see. Oftentimes chalked up to a mess-up sticking in our minds for guys we dislike and glossing over mistakes of guys we like.

John McDonald is a -31.1, and I'm sure nobody is going to be chalking that up to small sample size bias.

It's not "normalized" over 150 innings; it's projected to 150 innings based on the number of innings played. Mercer's only played 80 innings at shortstop in 2013. And, by the way, I would chalk up John McDonald's numbers to SSS. He's known to be very good defensively.

Moreover, Mercer's UZR for 2012 at shortstop was +2.8. His UZR at second base was +34.3 in 2012 and stands at +12.0 in 2013. How is that a weak defensive player?

If the argument is over who should be playing shortstop, what purpose does it serve to give us his UZR for second, other than to muddy the waters?