Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Offense
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:43 am 

Has been the weakness recently. Of course the calibar of pitching we've faced has been top notch as well. But the bats are the short coming.
Look we are and will continue to be bad at ss, but the insistance of playing Inge at third is more then ridiculous. Yhe other day we had Fort, Inge, Barmes, pitcher in a row from 6 to 9. Here's a surprise-- we got shut out!
Marte has slowed and Cutch is not on top of his game. They will both perform better as time goes on. And when will we realize that Alverez against lefties is better then Inge against everyone.

Post subject: Re: Offense
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:10 am 

Couldn't agree more. Sure guys need days off and in Alvarez's defense it should come on a day against a lefty but other than that he should be in there. Inge is a defensive guy and pinch hitter. That should be it.

Barmes plays the majority of the time because there's nobody blocking him. I wonder if management ever looks back and wishes they had spent more money on another player at shortstop?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:53 am 

I was encouraged by finally getting some runs yesterday. I think this offense is better than what they have hit so far.

I also think we need a better hitter in Inge's spot, and we need to find a buyer for McKenry because Sanchez is tearing it up in AAA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 am 

Early in the season, the Pirates showed some signs of working the count, grinding out good at-bats, and wearing down opposing pitchers. That's gone out the window lately, with Porcello and Cueto cutting throw our boys like a hot knife through butter. As others have noted, hitting the other way is key. There are few others. I put them in this order:

1. Taking breaking balls in the dirt. Let them go. Please.
2. Crushing mediocre fastballs up in the zone. The Bucs have been sub-par at this.
3. Hitting outside fastballs to the opposite field. Again, we're seeing a lot of guys rolling the top hand over and grounding out meekly to short or second.

If Pirate hitters do those three things simultaneously, you could see a return of the 2012 June-July offense.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 pm 

The Inge experiment needs to end. This is exactly why I am typically so critical of these types of off-season moves. On their basis it is always easy to brush them off as minor, stopgap "veteran fills a bench role, who cares" scenarios. But the reality is that playing time will come in bunches when inevitable injuries and roster moves happen in a 162-game season. I will even concede that his defense, while I anticipated that it would be good, has been better than I expected. Yeah, he seems to have a nice sense of humor and is probably a good clubhouse guy and I get why the intangibles and credentials are appealing. But with the overall make-up of this line-up there is simply no room for a 36-year old with a .484 OPS and who has posted a career sub-.700 figure. Subsequently, I agree that Alvarez platooning needs to end given the internal alternatives.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:07 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I think KDro is about to get hot soon. He's not K-ing as much (purely anecdotal - at least as far as the really bad K's are concerned), and outside of the homerun had two flies to center that he just missed.

That and I have a bet on him to lead the NL in homers this year, so some extra walking around money would be nice!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:28 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I think KDro is about to get hot soon. He's not K-ing as much (purely anecdotal - at least as far as the really bad K's are concerned), and outside of the homerun had two flies to center that he just missed.

That and I have a bet on him to lead the NL in homers this year, so some extra walking around money would be nice!

I posted somewhere earlier that now he got his wisdom teeth out he's going to hit 50 homeruns.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:27 pm 

I've been as hard on Pedro as anyone, but I'm amazed that they continue to "platoon" one of their cornerstone players...especially when the alternative is Brandon Inge. I'm with Shark...enough Brandon Inge!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:30 pm 

For all of Pedro's faults, he is leading the team in RBIs and can change a game at any time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:06 pm 

11 HR's 30 RBI's has been huge for this team, even if his metrics are dreadful. He's been a huge boost to the offense. And really, by sheer luck, he's got to turn that average around at least to .230 or something. When it's said and done, I think he's going to have a slightly better season than last year.

Agreed that they need to stop this platoon crap, though. Pedro needs to play every day, and he should start against lefties. If he's slumping badly and you need to sit him? Okay, do it. But planning ahead to sit him, when his bat is a difference maker is silly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:22 pm 

TheShark wrote:
The Inge experiment needs to end. This is exactly why I am typically so critical of these types of off-season moves. On their basis it is always easy to brush them off as minor, stopgap "veteran fills a bench role, who cares" scenarios. But the reality is that playing time will come in bunches when inevitable injuries and roster moves happen in a 162-game season. I will even concede that his defense, while I anticipated that it would be good, has been better than I expected. Yeah, he seems to have a nice sense of humor and is probably a good clubhouse guy and I get why the intangibles and credentials are appealing. But with the overall make-up of this line-up there is simply no room for a 36-year old with a .484 OPS and who has posted a career sub-.700 figure. Subsequently, I agree that Alvarez platooning needs to end given the internal alternatives.

Free Steve Pearce!
Free Matt Hague!
Free Jordy Mercer!
Free Chase D'Arnaud, Alex Presley or Jerry Sands!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:24 pm 

Scoobiedoo wrote:
For all of Pedro's faults, he is leading the team in RBIs and can change a game at any time.

Jeez I thought RBI is a meaningless stat...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:48 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Scoobiedoo wrote:

The fact that Alvarez is indeed leading the team in RBIs should tell you all you need to know about how useful the RBI stat is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:55 pm 

Willton wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Scoobiedoo wrote:

The fact that Alvarez is indeed leading the team in RBIs should tell you all you need to know about how useful the RBI stat is.

Let's try not to get hung up on the RBI thing. Think-- who should be playing 3rd base ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:57 pm 

Willton wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:01 pm 

It's only meaningless when comparing elite player A to elite player B. In a lineup like the Pirates, where few people drive anyone in, I'd say it has meaning. Especially when you lead the team while batting under .200 :shock:

The only MLB 3rd baseman with more HR's than him is the god of all things hitting, Miguel Cabrera. So Pedro is putting up more HR's than most MLB third baseman, while being platooned. That speaks pretty highly of his power capability.

Quote:

No, it should tell you all you need to know about how bad our lineup is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:03 pm 

Alvarez has an OPS of .678 which is only slightly below average for his position. And that number is still rising of course. I would play him nearly every day but I still want a better backup than Inge.