All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Twitter fight with Phillips defender
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:22 pm 

Million dollar talent.
10 cent head.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:27 pm 

Beat 'em Bucs wrote:
My link WAS the conclusion of the story. Look at the dates.

Okay, given that I was already familiar with the story (I live in Cincinnati and attended most of the games in that series as well as heard all about in the local sports media here), I only scanned the article you posted and given that it didn't say exactly what Phillips said in the NBC interview and just made vague reference of him repeating the claim, I thought it just read as one of the pre-phone conversation articles about the subject. My mistake.

Still, I just chalk it up as an aforementioned misunderstanding. Yeah, Phillips should have let it go after the conversation they had but if it was his belief that something more was said despite clearing things up afterard, that's his prerogative. Given that this was a very heated series with a bunch of HBPs, bad blood after Chapman beamed McCutchen, Hurdle's ejection, etc. I don't think it's that unrealistic for Phillips to have misheard something yelled at him in the heat of the moment following getting plunked (especially when Hughes admitted he shouted "profanities" at him). I'm not a professional baseball player but picturing myself in that scenario, combined with what is being yelled from the crowd and dugouts, I could see a misinterpretation happen. Of course, you're welcome to think that Phillips made it up on the spot (for what payoff? I'm not sure). Considering he has no other history of that kind of thing and actually has a contrary image off the field I'm going to assume the opposite.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:38 pm 

After Phillips threw the ball back towards the mound after getting plunked, Hughes said "Throw the ball in the f-----g dugout, Mother F---er." Phillips wants us to believe that he heard "Throw the ball in the f-----g dugout, Mother F---ing N----r."

Yeah . . . I believe him when he claims that he must have heard wrong. :roll:

And I've never heard of someone playing the "race card" for sympathy or to play the victim. :roll:

Again . . . . the guy plays some outstanding baseball. No doubt about it. Not debating that. The "act" is what I don't like.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:52 pm 

If you want to simplify it as such and think that the only thing that could have been said in the whole sequence was that little bit that was caught on camera where they deciphered that profanity line, that's fine. I happen to think it was a lot more nuanced than that for the reasons I listed above. By the way, the default racial term you used is not the one Phillips thought he heard: http://deadspin.com/5942361/source-brandon-phillips-thought-jared-hughes-called-him-boy. And as you can tell from the video, Phillips is pretty calm when he jogs to first base and is standing there while the benches were warned and umpires met with Hughes. That tells me that what Phillips thought he heard might have occurred at a different point than exactly when the ball was getting thrown back to the mound like all of the reporting focused on. He is upset at the end of the inning and says something to McCutchen as he is jogging back to the dugout (also shown in the video). Alas, not going to argue this any longer, we know Hughes didn't say anything racial and we'll never know what Phillips thought he heard. It's fine if you think he's lying for sympathy or whatever. I happen to think that's not the case.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:25 pm 

Sorry, but you don't throw around racist accusations around like that. After they cleared the air, that should have been it and to anyone with any class, that would have been it. But he wouldn't let it go even after at first saying they had cleared the air. My recollection is that it really upset Hughes because non-racists, you know, don't like being called racists.

He's a punk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:38 pm 

TheShark wrote:
If you want to simplify it as such and think that the only thing that could have been said in the whole sequence was that little bit that was caught on camera where they deciphered that profanity line, that's fine. I happen to think it was a lot more nuanced than that for the reasons I listed above. By the way, the default racial term you used is not the one Phillips thought he heard: http://deadspin.com/5942361/source-brandon-phillips-thought-jared-hughes-called-him-boy. And as you can tell from the video, Phillips is pretty calm when he jogs to first base and is standing there while the benches were warned and umpires met with Hughes. That tells me that what Phillips thought he heard might have occurred at a different point than exactly when the ball was getting thrown back to the mound like all of the reporting focused on. He is upset at the end of the inning and says something to McCutchen as he is jogging back to the dugout (also shown in the video). Alas, not going to argue this any longer, we know Hughes didn't say anything racial and we'll never know what Phillips thought he heard. It's fine if you think he's lying for sympathy or whatever. I happen to think that's not the case.

Did Phillips look calm after he re-made his accusation against Hughes AFTER calling the whole thing a misunderstanding?

I understand that Phillips is popular with his teammates and beloved by the Cincinnati community. Doesn't change the fact that he's a lying son of a bitch.