Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Twitter fight with Phillips defender
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:59 pm 

I replied to a Rob Biertempfel tweet and some Reds fan didn't agree with my assessment of Brandon Phillips.
By the end of the conversation, he was criticizing my grammar which is usually the white flag of message boards and twitter. Fun stuff.

Post subject: Re: Twitter fight with Phillips defender
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:37 am 

You win. Phillips is an ass-clown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:37 am 

Let me know the next time Grilli does the "make it rain" symbol after a save. Until then, Phillips is a showboating a-hole.

By all means, feel free to do those things, but don't turn around and cry about being plunked. Be a man.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:51 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Let me know the next time Grilli does the "make it rain" symbol after a save. Until then, Phillips is a showboating a-hole.

By all means, feel free to do those things, but don't turn around and cry about being plunked. Be a man.

There's a difference, Grilli isn't doing that after every pitch.

Also, you get no excuse to cry over being plunked after your manager pretty much said it's ok to do.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:53 am 

Last night, you had two reds guys calling the game. You kept hearing them defendIng Phillips. He did not win a defensive award because he was voted down by his peers. It's not just the pirates and our fans that don't like him. The guy is a piece of shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:58 am 

Sorry BB...you lose...for arguing with a guy that puts a hat on his kids head like that. :o

On the Phillips thing...I think it's the old if you're a Reds fan you love him, if not you hate him. I think he does have fun, but he is definitely a baby and doesn't seem to get that other teams don't care for his antics.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:00 am 

Based on Kevin Carver's avatar it looks like your case was deconstructed an extremely intelligent individual.

EDIT: Dang, it looks like PP beat me to it. Great minds think alike? ;) :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:25 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Sorry BB...you lose...for arguing with a guy that puts a hat on his kids head like that. :o

On the Phillips thing...I think it's the old if you're a Reds fan you love him, if not you hate him. I think he does have fun, but he is definitely a baby and doesn't seem to get that other teams don't care for his antics.

I know I can say for myself that I didn't like Nyjer Morgan's act while he was a Pirate.

I'm glad he had to take his act to Japan and is killing it with his .200 avg

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:59 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

I know I can say for myself that I didn't like Nyjer Morgan's act while he was a Pirate.

I didn't care for it either, but he also sucked. Barry Bonds on the other hand...I tolerated his act. Not that Phillips is Bonds, but he sure as heck isn't Nyjer Morgan either. And for the record I enjoy every time we hit him with a pitch...I'm just making the argument...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:19 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

I didn't care for it either, but he also sucked. Barry Bonds on the other hand...I tolerated his act. Not that Phillips is Bonds, but he sure as heck isn't Nyjer Morgan either. And for the record I enjoy every time we hit him with a pitch...I'm just making the argument...

And that's shit the reds started with us last season.and I agree, if there is anyone you want to plunk, it's a punk like Phillips.

Another guy I couldn't stand was Andrew jones. He just had this stupid smirk on his face all the time. Just wanted to make you want to bean him.lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:26 pm 

I'm one of the few Phillips defenders here, despite how cliche this line of thinking seems at times, as a Cincinnati resident I do think he comes off as a genuinely solid person off the field and in the community and personally I have always seen his play on the field of more of just an energetic, "having fun" approach rather than showboating. The "love him if he's on your team / loathe him if he's not" line is pretty much accurate.

That being said, I agree with the point earlier about the Reds announcers still randomly complaining about the fact that he didn't win the gold glove over Darwin Barney last year is beyond ridiculous and painfully biased/annoying. This was almost unbearable in the local sports media here (which I mostly avoid) when Barney got the GG over Phillips. To them it was simply unfathomable that someone with a better fielding percentage could win the GG over someone who makes the more flashy, highlight reel players (not taking anything away from Phillips, who is certainly one of the better defensive players in the league). Without even mentioning how GGs are always a crapshoot and not always representative of the best defensive player, Phillips already has three anyway. For Phillips to say the voters were biased against him because of his play on the field is absurd. The announcers in this series (they bring in Sean Casey for a lot of Pirates/Reds games now) still deciding to harp on it currently was painful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:52 pm 

TheShark wrote:
I'm one of the few Phillips defenders here,

Actually, I think you are the only Phillips defender here. The guy is a punk, and the more times he chooses to show how big of an ass he is, the more times it's likely that he's going to get hit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:59 pm 

I don't have a problem with Brandon Phillips, either. So TheShark is not alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:47 pm 

Add me to the list of people who don't mind Phillips as well. Showboating doesn't bother me in the least if you can back it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:22 pm 

BBF wrote:
Add me to the list of people who don't mind Phillips as well. Showboating doesn't bother me in the least if you can back it up.

Sorry, against MLB protocol: you're not allowed to have fun while playing the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:24 pm 

I would take him on my team in a heartbeat....... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 pm 

Andrew McCutchen has fun while he is playing. Do you notice a difference between him and Phillips behavior?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:27 am 

Were the Phillips defenders defending him last year when he accused Hughes of racism?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/pittsburgh-pirates-defend-reliever-Jared-Hughes-claims-of-racial-slur-by-cincinnati-reds-brandon-phillips-091212

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:59 am 

Beat 'em Bucs wrote:
Were the Phillips defenders defending him last year when he accused Hughes of racism?

Well, why not also post the conclusion of the story? Phillips and Hughes had a phone conversation afterward in what Phillips admitted was a "big understanding." http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/09/11/phillips-hughes-speak-resolve-things/

A snippet of what Phillips had to say after:

Quote:
We reached out, and me and Mr. Hughes had a great conversation before I came to the stadium today. It was the best thing that ever happened, just talking to him about what happened, talking to him about things that I heard and stuff.

“It was great to hear what he had to say and him to hear what I had to say. It made us both feel better about the situation. I respect him as a player and a man from the conversation we had.

“It was just a big misunderstanding. When you say certain things in the heat of the moment, you really don’t mean it. You forgive people. He forgave me. I forgive him. It’s the baseball family. I love him as a brother.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:48 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Beat 'em Bucs wrote:

Well, why not also post the conclusion of the story? Phillips and Hughes had a phone conversation afterward in what Phillips admitted was a "big understanding." http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/09/11/phillips-hughes-speak-resolve-things/

A snippet of what Phillips had to say after:

Quote:
We reached out, and me and Mr. Hughes had a great conversation before I came to the stadium today. It was the best thing that ever happened, just talking to him about what happened, talking to him about things that I heard and stuff.

“It was great to hear what he had to say and him to hear what I had to say. It made us both feel better about the situation. I respect him as a player and a man from the conversation we had.

“It was just a big misunderstanding. When you say certain things in the heat of the moment, you really don’t mean it. You forgive people. He forgave me. I forgive him. It’s the baseball family. I love him as a brother.”

My link WAS the conclusion of the story. Look at the dates. Your link is dated 9/11/12, the link I posted is dated 9/12/12 and titled "Hughes, Phillips Isaue Flares Up Again". After Phillips and Hughes seemingly "made up" Phillips later continued to chirp about racism to the local news and Hughes had to defend himself AGAIN:

"The issue flared anew Wednesday after Phillips and Hughes seemingly had made peace during a cell-phone conversation that took place after Phillips said an unnamed Pirates player had said something racist toward him on Monday night.

Phillips, after his conversation with Hughes, repeated his claim in an interview with NBC SportsTalk, promoting Hughes to issue a statement Wednesday."

I stand by my opinion that he is a jackass.