Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obsessed With Velocity ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:02 pm 

I keep reading about the Pirates brass talking about this guy's velocity and that guy's velocity. BUT, it's always guys with control issues.

I would rather have someone that knows how to pitch, than a blazing walk machine.

Post subject: Re: Obsessed With Velocity ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:05 pm 

Pirates are hoping to find guys who can gun the ball 92-97 MPH with control. It might take them 100 pitchers to find 4-5 guys but Huntington and company seem like they are intent on making it happen in this building phase.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:08 pm 

I hope some of these guys pan out, but it just seems like a big part of our pitching problem is guys not knowing HOW to pitch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:08 pm 

Littlefield was committed to finding the crafty finesse guys. I prefer this approach.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:12 pm 

Greg Maddux is available. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:40 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

His retirement says otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:43 pm 

Willton wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

His retirement says otherwise.

Its just sad that his numbers last season were still better than any Pirates starter not named Maholm...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:57 pm 

Its easier to teach control then velocity. The 2 togethor makes a great combination

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:17 pm 

I wonder if this is the same VanSlick who used to be on the Penn State Scout boards.

Anyway, if it's a velocity versus control debate you take velocity every time. Guys like Greg Maddux are few and far between.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:29 pm 

Not the same Vanslick. I'm in Tennessee and I'm a Vols fan. :D

(Let the bashing begin)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:33 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
Not the same Vanslick. I'm in Tennessee and I'm a Vols fan. :D

(Let the bashing begin)

Indeed. Guess which Tennessee team is going to a bowl game this year? Not UT! GO DORES!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:23 pm 

Scouts love velocity because it is easily recognized, is a trait that can yield great rewards, and will not get a scout demoted or fired.

Draft a guy who throws 97 mph with the first round pick. Guy has control issues and does not pan out. Oh well, the guy was worth the pick.

Select a guy who throws 87 mph with the first pick. He does not pan out. Scout is lambasted for a stupid pick ("Geez, the guy was throwing only 87; why take him in the first??").

The same is true for the NFL draft and things like the 40 yard dash. Year, after year, after year, a player slips because of a "bad" 40 time (e.g., Anquan Boldin). He is taken, and turns out to be a very good football player. But the guy drafted higher, with the better 40 time, just stinks (e.g., Troy Williamson). The scout who took the guy due to his 40 time defends the pick, "Hey, he ran a 4.3 40!!" The scout who drafted the guy with the blazing 40 time very often keeps his job.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:34 pm 

How true, how true Bucfan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:55 am 

Speaking of pitchers with a ton of velocity and no control, the Pirates are interested in Daniel Cabrera. I think would be a good signing if we could get him cheaply for a year to see if Kerrigan could restore him.

However being that 10 other teams are showing interest and according to his agent one team has already offered a multiyear deal it doesn't look like a possibility here being that giving this guy a multiyear right now is a ridiculous move.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:08 am 

I don't care if NH brings in 20 of these guys, if he can find one Sandy Koufax, that makes it worth it. Leave no stone unturned.

You just never know what makes a professional player click. A different coach or different place, you just never know. I like the attitude that we should try them out here first so that we don't have to read about some other team that found a "diamond in the rough."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:48 pm 

omgardd wrote:
Speaking of pitchers with a ton of velocity and no control, the Pirates are interested in Daniel Cabrera.

Cabrera is a classic case of a guy whose velocity and movement, along with the knee-buckling break of his breaking ball, will always have a team interested in him. And for good reason - he had a really good year for Baltimore a couple of years ago. He had some starts where he was simply unhittable. His control is a problem but part of that is due to the amount of movement he gets on his 2-seam fastball. The thing dives and weaves so much that Cabrera cannot keep it in the strike zone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:23 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
omgardd wrote:
Speaking of pitchers with a ton of velocity and no control, the Pirates are interested in Daniel Cabrera.

Cabrera is a classic case of a guy whose velocity and movement, along with the knee-buckling break of his breaking ball, will always have a team interested in him. And for good reason - he had a really good year for Baltimore a couple of years ago. He had some starts where he was simply unhittable. His control is a problem but part of that is due to the amount of movement he gets on his 2-seam fastball. The thing dives and weaves so much that Cabrera cannot keep it in the strike zone.

As Charlie said on his blog, Cabrera has "not just good but great stuff, and absolutely no clue where it is going."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:59 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Can you say... Kippy!?

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:00 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Can you say... Kippy!?

ZM

No, Kip Wells had pretty good control over his stuff. He was just too afraid to throw it where a batter could hit it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:23 pm 

Willton wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
Can you say... Kippy!?

ZM

No, Kip Wells had pretty good control over his stuff. He was just too afraid to throw it where a batter could hit it.

That kid really broke my heart. By '03 I really thought he was on the brink of a fine career. Then, kaboom. In many ways, just in terms of my own expectations, I felt like i was watching a replay last year with Gorzelanny.