Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Catching up with Mike Lincoln
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:49 am 

As many of you know, I live in Cincinnati. Tonight a buddy of mine who is a Reds STH offered me one of his free tickets to Redsfest (I'm pretty sure there is also a "Piratesfest" and every team does this) where you can get players/coaches autographs, buy stuff, batting cages for kids, ect. We were already going to a hockey game that night and he just wanted to go from 4-6, so I went ahead and tagged along, although not with much interest. He was mostly hunting for autographs and I figured I would see what kind of former Pirates were signing that day (I'm not really an autograph person at all, but it gave me something to do). I was thrilled to see that Mike Lincoln would be signing, but unfortunately it was at a kids-only table that a couple of players were at. I showed up with a Pirates hat and when he saw me standing outside (I went when his session was almost over and the line was almost died down) he signaled to come on over. I told this to the guy watching the gate and I was allowed in even though it was supposed to be for kids. He looked surprised to see the hat and said "Pirates, huh?" I responded that I was a longtime fan living in Cincy ... he was very friendly so I asked what he thought of his time with the Bucs. He said that he loved the guys there but, I quote directly "it was hard when you just lose all the time like that". We then talked a few minutes, mostly him talking about how great the ballpark is and how awesome it would be if they finally got a winning team going. Most players were ready to leave when their time was up but he was an extremely nice guy who spent extra time to chat with me and seemed really appreciative to see a knowledgeable Bucs fan. Not the most exciting story in the world, but I haven't posted in a while so figured I would share, I was always a fan of Lincoln's.

Post subject: Re: Catching up with Mike Lincoln
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:25 am 

He's experienced the good and bad! He was on a 100 loss Pirates team, eventually traded to the Cardinals who went to the World Series. I don't know if he got to play in the series (swept by Red Sox) but the Cardinals had five or six ex Buccos on that team.. Tony Womack etc.

Post subject: Re: Catching up with Mike Lincoln
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:17 pm 

Good point Ollie. So on this subject how does Piratesfest usually fair? Is it normally well attended?