Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Allie hits 10th
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:47 am 

Stetson Allie hit his 10th homer yesterday and is still hitting at a .314 clip.

Post subject: Re: Allie hits 10th
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 am 

I got to see him in Charleston, WV a couple of weeks ago. He's listed at 6-2, 220lbs but looks much bigger. Glad to see him doing well, and you never know what can happen in the futures.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 am 

Like I said, if he's Rick Ankiel but good, that would be awesome.

Still can't believe where is now compared to when we drafted him. It was thought to be such a huge victory getting him signed and that he would be a future dominant fireballer in our rotation.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:34 am 

Leway512 wrote:

Still can't believe where is now compared to when we drafted him. It was thought to be such a huge victory getting him signed and that he would be a future dominant fireballer in our rotation.

Even when the Bucs drafted him there were discussions about Allie being better suited for relief. If he turns into a prospect as a hitter, I'll be duly impressed. And if he can get away from first base and become a decent right fielder or third baseman, his value could be quite high.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:44 am 

I wonder if they will leave him at WV all season since he is just new at being a full time hitter. It would be good to see what he can do at high A.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:34 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
I wonder if they will leave him at WV all season since he is just new at being a full time hitter. It would be good to see what he can do at high A.

I'm more interested to see what they do with Bell in this regard given that he's a year behind because of the injury/surgery. He has cooled off lately but was arguably dominating prior. The strikeouts are still a concern but he has been balancing it with a lot of walks and the power has been there. I would anticipate patience ... he's still a hitting prospect unlike any other in the system.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:58 pm 

Leway512 wrote:

If he's anything like Rick Ankiel (meaning he makes the majors as a hitter) that would be awesome by itself.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 pm 

How 'bout both?

I mentioned it before..how bout a Brooks Kieschneck guy?? Let him pitch in relief AND be a position player. Wouldn't that be an awesome 25th guy?

He had some moderate success but proves it can be done. In 2003, Kieschneck hit .300 with 7 HR and 12 RBI.....970 OPS in 70 at bats. He also pitched in 42 games with 1-1 record 5.26 ERA. IN 2004, he pitched better 1-1 3.77 in 32 games and hit .270 with 1 HR, 7 RBI in 63 ABs. These are not too bad of numbers off the bench.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:45 pm 

Animal wrote:
How 'bout both?

I mentioned it before..how bout a Brooks Kieschneck guy?? Let him pitch in relief AND be a position player. Wouldn't that be an awesome 25th guy?

He had some moderate success but proves it can be done. In 2003, Kieschneck hit .300 with 7 HR and 12 RBI.....970 OPS in 70 at bats. He also pitched in 42 games with 1-1 record 5.26 ERA. IN 2004, he pitched better 1-1 3.77 in 32 games and hit .270 with 1 HR, 7 RBI in 63 ABs. These are not too bad of numbers off the bench.

It is highly unlikely that Allie will pitch in the majors, even as a reliever. The Pirates and Allie have agreed that Allie is too wild to be an effective pitcher at the major league level, and since he's been converted into a hitter, he hasn't practiced pitching. I find it difficult to imagine Allie fixing his control issues when he doesn't do anything pitching related.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:59 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Too early, but what the hell, Bob Robertson comparison, anyone?

ZM

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:32 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Bob Robertson comparison, anyone?

Ah, the Mechanical Man. Let's hope he can learn to field his position as Bob Robertson... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:29 am 

Hoping to see him when he comes around to Salisbury (MD) in two weeks....

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:08 am 

Animal wrote:
How 'bout both?

Would be a very cool asset if he could eat up garbage innings and be a productive hitter.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:53 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

Even when the Bucs drafted him there were discussions about Allie being better suited for relief. If he turns into a prospect as a hitter, I'll be duly impressed. And if he can get away from first base and become a decent right fielder or third baseman, his value could be quite high.

Maybe he's stuck at 1st because it's the only way to get his bat in the lineup? Doesn't Josh Bell play RF?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:57 am 

nad69dan wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

Maybe he's stuck at 1st because it's the only way to get his bat in the lineup? Doesn't Josh Bell play RF?

...and a few years down the road, 1b may be our most glaring need.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:52 pm 

Add #'s 11 and 12 for him tonight. IF this power can carry into the upper levels, he's a legitimate 1B prospect. And not in the Matt Hague sense, but the Jhonathan Singleton and Yonder Alonso sense (Top 100 guy).

Obviously has a ton of raw power, just a matter of keeping it game power too.

Also, yeah I'm thinking 1B is likely to be our most glaring need. Polanco getting a ton of praise, Sanchez seems like he might be legit, and Hanson has turned his season around. Jones and G. Sanchez aren't young and Dickerson is really scuffling. Don't think Curry or Hague are answers.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:35 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Polanco getting a ton of praise, Sanchez seems like he might be legit, and Hanson has turned his season around.

And don't forget Bell.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:52 am 

Agreed, he's also had a very strong first (for all intents and purposes) season after missing all of last year. I just think Polanco might make the majors first, and plug the RF hole. Ben Badler (Baseball America) was asked on Twitter if he thought Polanco or Marte had more upside and he said Polanco. So, that's some mighty high praise considering the flashes Marte has shown already.

Was thinking today that maybe Bell could wind up at 1B at some point? Purely hypothetical but he was regarded as a guy who was a fringy runner with a slightly below average arm for right field. He's 6'4" and the bat could play there. Was more thinking of ways to maximize the bats in the lineup than anything that's particularly plausible. But maybe it's something they try from time to time as he works his way up.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:02 am 

Josh Bell has decent wheels and an average to above average arm. He'll stay in the corner outfield. Remember, players have more value away from first base. Don't worry about logjams until the players are closer to the majors.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:31 am 

and we have tons of pitching.

I definitely think we are headed in the right direction and the future could be very very fun!