Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: Brewers vs. Pirates 5/16
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:41 pm 

I'm disappointed there are so few game reports this year. I love reading them, and also love posting them. Hopefully, I'll be attending several more games, and would like to post reports if anyone will read them. There are several things I noticed from last night's game that I believe are worth mentioning that it could be tough to see from home.

1. Ryan Braun straight dogged it to Barmes' game-tying double at the base of the wall. I know there are several reasons to dislike him as a player, but to me this adds to the list. Braun was playing in a bit because Barmes doesn't hit well, but he still gets an attempt at the ball if he sprints. Thank you Ryan Braun for lazing out on that one.

2. The Brewers, in general, have the look of a bad team. That error charged to Segura was really on Gonzalez. It allowed Barmes to get on in our 4-run 6th. Gonzalez gave up on the play when he saw Segura bobble the grounder, then, oops the throw is right by the glove. This Brewers lineup is pretty scary, but they don't score many runs (as evidenced by their 7th ranked slugging percentage, but 22nd in runs scored). It could just be bad luck, but it also could be that this is not really a team, but rather a collection of players. Last night, I saw the latter.

3. For the Pirates, they battle all night. I wish we could see this at the end of the year. The past two years, the team has been burned out, especially the pitchers. But, it happened to the hitters, too. I really hope this battling attitude from game to game can translate to the end of the year as well. I mentioned before that I am really impressed with the Pirates' play from innings 5-7. Last night's game was another example of a game that wasn't going so well through four, but we just keep sending up batters who have talent and battle, and we put up 6 in the 5th and 6th innings. Indeed, I believe I heard a stat mentioned regarding our outscoring of opponents in innings 5-9 last night and if someone remembers it, I would like to be reminded.

4. Alvarez. What can be said at this point? He drops to 7th in the order last night, he dribbles the ball to the pitcher, to the first baseman with opportunities to drive in runs. As electric as he can be, his big hits always surprise me. He is hardly ever up at the plate where you feel the other team is in trouble. He bombs one, and the thought is, wow, where did that come from? or, wow, I knew he had it in him somewhere! It is that feeling that Pedro has it in him that keeps us hoping and believing in him. The same analogy could be used for the Pittsburgh Pirates. We feel they have it in them, so we believe. I truly believe this team could be in the playoffs this year, I believe they have it in them. Last night I saw a playoff team. Whether that team can stick around till September remains to be seen, but last night I saw a glimpse.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: Brewers vs. Pirates 5/16
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:07 am 

I have moved this to The Rotunda. All Game Reports should be posted here. It then will eventually be moved to the Game Reports room.