Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tony Sanchez
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:15 am 

News of his demise as a prospect was greatly overstated, it would seem. Check him out - now posting a .936 OPS at Indianapolis, a tough hitter's park and a league where pitching is favored.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... pid=506997

Post subject: Re: Tony Sanchez
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:20 am 

A late bloomer? Mckenrys defense is susceptible and as much as I like him I'd have to think Sanchez will be getting the call. For Sanchez to learn under Martin either this year or next would be key. Either way having depth at most positions up and down the farm system is good to have. Martin is in the middle of his prime, at least he plays like it. Maybe next year, if he continues this level of play the bucs would think about extending him.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:36 am 

buccosfan77 wrote:
A late bloomer? Mckenrys defense is susceptible and as much as I like him I'd have to think Sanchez will be getting the call. For Sanchez to learn under Martin either this year or next would be key. Either way having depth at most positions up and down the farm system is good to have. Martin is in the middle of his prime, at least he plays like it. Maybe next year, if he continues this level of play the bucs would think about extending him.

I'm pretty confident that Sanchez will be the subject of Martin's tutelage next year.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:02 am 

It seems pretty clear that Sanchez will replace McKenry. It's just a quesion of will it happen in July or will it happen during the offseason.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:05 am 

Maybe McKenry can find a way to play at first or third. I definitely don't like him behind the plate, but he has very deceptive raw power at the plate.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:13 am 
 WWW  Profile

Leway512 wrote:
Maybe McKenry can find a way to play at first or third. I definitely don't like him behind the plate, but he has very deceptive raw power at the plate.

I agree, maybe see if he can stick around somehow and function as an emergency catcher. I'd hate to lose his bat off the bench, although that is a rather small concern.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:56 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

I agree, maybe see if he can stick around somehow and function as an emergency catcher. I'd hate to lose his bat off the bench, although that is a rather small concern.

What to do with McKenry if Sanchez comes up next season...

Yeah. I'd keep him. He has a decent arm and he can move, so maybe the Bucs could try him at 3B? With his bat, he could be a potential platoon partner with Alvarez.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:16 am 
 WWW  Profile

J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

What to do with McKenry if Sanchez comes up next season...

Yeah. I'd keep him. He has a decent arm and he can move, so maybe the Bucs could try him at 3B? With his bat, he could be a potential platoon partner with Alvarez.

It would also allow Sanchez to get some ABs, as Clint wouldn't be afraid to burn his backup catcher.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:34 am 

Hurdle had McKenry throwing baseballs from 2nd base to 1st base a few days ago to 'clear his head' for allowing the Brewers to pretend they were Willie Mays Hayes.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:52 am 

McKenry is most valuable as a #2 catcher. That's what he is, and that's what he will almost certainly remain.

Since we won't be needing him soon, it makes sense to trade him to a team that does need him, in exchange for something of value from that team.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 am 
 WWW  Profile

nad69dan wrote:
Hurdle had McKenry throwing baseballs from 2nd base to 1st base a few days ago to 'clear his head' for allowing the Brewers to pretend they were Willie Mays Hayes.

I saw that, and I think I read into it as much as you are. I don't think it was just a "clear your head" move.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:58 am 
 WWW  Profile

Ralphie wrote:
McKenry is most valuable as a #2 catcher. That's what he is, and that's what he will almost certainly remain.

Since we won't be needing him soon, it makes sense to trade him to a team that does need him, in exchange for something of value from that team.

I don't know...as a number 2 catcher, it almost eliminates him from being considered for pinch-hit duty. I'd think having him around, if he's able to play some occasional 2B or 3B, along with Sanchez would really open up the bench.

That being said, if another team makes a good offer, that also makes sense for the Bucs. I just think he could also add value outside of being a #2 catcher.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:47 pm 

Well he would basically have to take Inge's spot if you're going with 3 catchers. And while he might be able to hit better than Inge, I don't know if he can field well enough to take that spot.

Inge is old and slow and not especially athletic, but he does have some ability, both at the plate and in the field.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:31 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Well he would basically have to take Inge's spot if you're going with 3 catchers. And while he might be able to hit better than Inge, I don't know if he can field well enough to take that spot.

Inge is old and slow and not especially athletic, but he does have some ability, both at the plate and in the field.

I'm really not even sure that he's an appreciably better hitter than Inge. Has some pop, sure, but also sports a .230 average and isn't particularly adept at drawing walks....to say nothing of his 25+% K rate. Not the best profile for a pinch hitter, and with how teams have been victimizing him all year in the run game I don't think he has much defensively to offer behind the dish.

Really encouraging to see Sanchez turn things around. Might wait a bit longer just to make sure SSS bias is pretty well avoided, but he was Tweeting around the time of Sid's broken jaw that it took him until the end of last season to fully regain all of his strength back from his 2nd one. So, this could be totally legit and that would be a reasonable explanation for his hitting swoon after a big first year.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:14 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I saw that, and I think I read into it as much as you are. I don't think it was just a "clear your head" move.

As Az, Bucfan and Sisyphus will attest, catchers don't throw like any other position player. They cannot afford the time to "wind up" or "reach back" to get a throw off to second. Instead, a good catcher has an incredibly short throwing motion and quick release - from about the catcher's ear.

A second baseman's throw, as is obvious, is much shorter than SS or 3B where you see guys really reach back to fire the ball. A throw from the OF also involves reaching back to generate arm speed. If you wanted to give a player some time to "clear his head" and work on form other than from behind the plate. This wouldn't be the first time this ploy has been tried.

I really don't think that he is being tested to become a back-up second baseman.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:15 pm 

I think McHenry is going to be the "Mike Diaz" of this crop of building the winning team Pirates. The popular guy who was here during the process but won't be here in the long run.

He will be here for awhile and be a fan favorite, but next year it will be Sanchez and Martin as it has to be, and McHenry will be traded, proabably for a bag of balls.

But maybe not, remember Mike Diaz brought us key bench/role player Gary Redus!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:43 pm 

It would be great if TS turned into a productive MLer.

I would be so glad to have been wrong about him.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:52 pm 

Update:

Sanchez now at .310/.425/.550, a great .975 OPS, with 12 2B's, 4 HR's, 18 RBI's, 14 R's in 100 at-bats.

He is hitting .424/.525/.818 with 2 HR's, 9 RBI's, 6 BB, 6 K his last 10 games.

Yes, a .525 OBP his last ten games and .425 for the season.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:31 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Update:

Sanchez now at .310/.425/.550, a great .975 OPS, with 12 2B's, 4 HR's, 18 RBI's, 14 R's in 100 at-bats.

YADIER MOLINA TIME!

(I love giving up on a guy and then getting super psyched about him again.)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:36 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Update:

YADIER MOLINA TIME!

(I love giving up on a guy and then getting super psyched about him again.)

Garrett Jones took a pretty long damn time to come around, but he is a pretty damn good baseball player. Guess he is the model of 'old prospects' finally getting it.