Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Brewers
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:55 pm 

Milwaukee built themselves up and now it seems their window has closed. During their six year stretch, they finished over .500 four times, won one division title, made the playoffs twice and won one playoff series.

What's next for them? If they were your team, what would you want them to do?

And can they trade us Roid Boy? :shock:

Post subject: Re: The Brewers
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:05 pm 

Personally dont care.go bucs!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:11 pm 

Most small market teams have there runs, then have to unload. This happened to the pirates after winning three division titles in the early 90s. It's taken them 20 years to recover, however.

I think right now the Houston Astros are the victims of there past success. All those division titles, world series appearance. Buying randy Johnson etc. just happens.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 pm 

I hate them. Mostly for their antics when they were beating us repeatedly. There wasn't an ounce of humbleness.

Frustration, even early as this year towards them as they took the first two in Milwaukee but the tides are turning.

Bringing Braun here would be heartbreaking. Wouldn't want him in Pittsburgh if he was free.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:22 pm 

I'd take him, but he'll command a huge salary. Braun is one of the best players in baseball. But I think the team we have is starting to gell

Barry bonds was a dick, but liked him when he played for us. Just sayin.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 pm 

Pirates have beaten the Brewers 4 out of the past 5. The Brewers' pitching looks really suspect beyond Gallardo (where his velocity seems down in any event), Kyle Lohse, and Willy Peralta. I don't include Estrada in this discussion since he gives up way too many HR's to be considered a viable, reliable SP'er.

Hiram Burgos? Mike "Nobody" Fiers? Jesus, they make Josh Fogg look like Justin Verlander.

And their farm system is bare. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

But I am developing serious antipathy for the Angels for dealing Segura to the Brewers for 8 @#$*ing weeks of Zack Greinke.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:42 pm 

I feel zero pity for those arrogant pricks.

They've been twats for several years and I'm going to eat popcorn while watching their ship sink.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:53 pm 

Since putting a piss-pounding on the Bucs in the first 2 games of the series at the House That Roids Built to close out April, the Brewers are 2-12 in May, including a 1-11 record against the NL Central opponents in that time.

And they are heading to The Gateway City to face a very hot Cardinals team.

Hey Milwaukee....how's the view of the Cubs' ass from beneath them in 6th place?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:20 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Milwaukee built themselves up and now it seems their window has closed. During their six year stretch, they finished over .500 four times, won one division title, made the playoffs twice and won one playoff series.

They're in an awful situation, that's for sure. The pitching staff is pretty bad, with nothing in the pipeline.

Honestly, I don't know what I'd want if I were in their shoes. Weeks has tanked so badly that he's pretty much unmovable due to his contract.

I don't think there's any way I'd want them to move Segura or Braun.

Maybe deal Lucroy? Decent hitter for a catcher and a reputation for being a great pitch framer...but he's a catcher so who knows what his shelf life is.

A tip of the cap to the Brewers for going for it with Greinke, CC, and holding onto Fielder. But man, they decimated their system by trading for, or not trading, those assets and are paying the price. That said, if they win a WS, it's all worth it. Really fine line you have to walk as a small-market team who can't keep everyone or fill multiple holes in free agency every year.

That said, I'm loving this. I loathe Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:28 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

They're in an awful situation, that's for sure. The pitching staff is pretty bad, with nothing in the pipeline.

Honestly, I don't know what I'd want if I were in their shoes. Weeks has tanked so badly that he's pretty much unmovable due to his contract.

I don't think there's any way I'd want them to move Segura or Braun.

Maybe deal Lucroy? Decent hitter for a catcher and a reputation for being a great pitch framer...but he's a catcher so who knows what his shelf life is.

A tip of the cap to the Brewers for going for it with Greinke, CC, and holding onto Fielder. But man, they decimated their system by trading for, or not trading, those assets and are paying the price. That said, if they win a WS, it's all worth it. Really fine line you have to walk as a small-market team who can't keep everyone or fill multiple holes in free agency every year.

That said, I'm loving this. I loathe Milwaukee.

I imagine a lot of teams might be inquiring about what it would take to get Segura and Braun. Might be able to fill a few pieces of the puzzle if they were to move either of these guys. If I were the Bucs, I would be calling to see what kind of package might get Segura. Would they take Tabata or Snider? What about Jones or Sanchez? Some pitching? Would you part with Talliion or Cole to get Segura? I would consider it.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:38 am 

I absolutely would part with some of those guys for Braun or Segura, I just don't know that they'd do it. At least not with Segura. I didn't realize how old Braun was (29...middle of his prime so might be on the downside of his career by the time they get another window), maybe they do listen to offers for him although I'd prefer it isn't us.

I feel like they'll probably view Segura as their McCutchen circa 2009. Young guy, lots of years of control, and the guy you build your future around.

If they'll listen on Segura, though, I'd offer a package with one of Bell/Polanco, Taillon/Heredia, and Tabta/Snider or Black/Welker (according to Gammons, 10+ scouts were at the Indy game watching them) without thinking twice.

Always held out hope that the Rangers would deal Elvis Andrus to make room for Profar but at this point, trading for a SS or praying that Alen Hanson figures it out seems like this franchise's best bet for an impact guy at short.

Edit: Heck, if they'll part with a cheap, controllable asset like Segura, I'd gladly take on Weeks' bad contract if it'll drive down what we need to forfeit. Can't be much worse than what we're paying Inge and McDonald to hit .230 for us :lol:

This is all hypothetical of course.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:58 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Since putting a piss-pounding on the Bucs in the first 2 games of the series at the House That Roids Built to close out April, the Brewers are 2-12 in May, including a 1-11 record against the NL Central opponents in that time.

And they are heading to The Gateway City to face a very hot Cardinals team.

Hey Milwaukee....how's the view of the Cubs' ass from beneath them in 6th place?

Love that quote dude but you know we only have five teams in the Central right? :D

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:05 am 

Milwaukee is available ...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:38 am 

VanSlick wrote:
I feel zero pity for those arrogant pricks.

They've been twats for several years and I'm going to eat popcorn while watching their ship sink.

And I'm still pissed off over the sb from a few years ago. F you Wisconsin! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:17 am 
 WWW  Profile

Clevelandsux wrote:
I'd take him, but he'll command a huge salary. Braun is one of the best players in baseball. But I think the team we have is starting to gell

Barry bonds was a dick, but liked him when he played for us. Just sayin.

He's already signed for 8-years and $120 mil. He's going to be 37 when the contract is up. Paying 34-37 year old Braun all that money is going to hurt them even further down the road.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:37 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

StarlingArcher wrote:

Note to DK, this is what kills systems, and why last years trades were good trades.

I don't tip my cap to them, well I do because of what its done to them, but you get my point. You have to compete with what you've got. You can't trade out your system for a meth high.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:52 am 
 WWW  Profile

ZelieMike wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

Note to DK, this is what kills systems, and why last years trades were good trades.

I don't tip my cap to them, well I do because of what its done to them, but you get my point. You have to compete with what you've got. You can't trade out your system for a meth high.

ZM

You play to win the game. At some point, you gotta go for it. The Brewers tried to win a title with the Braun/Fielder/Weeks core and brought in a couple of big-time pitchers. That is a noble effort, and they qualified for the playoffs twice.

I don't advocate absolutely emptying the farm system, but if this fairly deep Pirates team is 15-20 games over .500 around the trade deadline, I would not have a problem with the PBC trading away a couple of big-time prospects with an eye toward a potential title...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 am 
 WWW  Profile

The only guys I absolutely would not trade are Cole and Taillon. Simply because it's impossible for a small market team to sign an "ace" pitcher in free agency. Gotta groom those guys.

Last year, I thought Taillon was a good deal behind Cole (hence perhaps tradeable), but after seeing him pitch a bit in 2013 and looking at the numbers, I'd slap the "untouchable" tag on him now.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:13 am 
 WWW  Profile

J_C_Steel wrote:
You play to win the game. At some point, you gotta go for it. The Brewers tried to win a title with the Braun/Fielder/Weeks core and brought in a couple of big-time pitchers. That is a noble effort, and they qualified for the playoffs twice.

I don't advocate absolutely emptying the farm system, but if this fairly deep Pirates team is 15-20 games over .500 around the trade deadline, I would not have a problem with the PBC trading away a couple of big-time prospects with an eye toward a potential title...

I completely agree with this. The Brewers took a shot, I commend them for it.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:22 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

And, if the Pirates do it, and are going where the Brewers are going, you would also be the first to call for the GM's head.

ZM