Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Mock Draft
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:41 pm 

Keith Law released his first mock draft today, which he says is based on information from his industry contacts. Obviously won't be 100% accurate as there's conflicting information, but interesting to see where things stand currently. Based on the chat, he's saying there seems to be a flight to safety occurring right now, with HS players seeing their stock drop and college players seeing it rise (specifically bats).

Bad news is, he says 3B Colin Moran won't make it past Cleveland at #5. Pirates have been heavily linked to him, and the consensus has been that he has no chance of making it past #9 (Pirates 1st pick).

Law has the Pirates taking DJ Peterson, 3B from New Mexico, at #9. He says they've also been linked to Reese McGuire (HS C) and Austin Meadows (HS OF). Both Meadows and McGuire fall to the Pirates in his mock.

At 14, he has the Pirates taking HS LHP Trey Ball. He's pretty much an ideal Pirates pick from a HS pitcher perspective, except he's left-handed instead of right. Tall (6'6"), athletic (also viewed as a 2nd round talent as a OF prospect), with a 94 MPH fastball already. He mentioned that he thought Ball would be more appropriate at #9 but he thinks teams are going to target bats early.

Thought it was interesting. Draft is a month away and is always something I enjoy following so I'll try to keep this updated with any new mocks from either Law or Baseball America as they're released.

Post subject: Re: New Mock Draft
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:43 pm 

Did he have Appel No. 1?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I've liked McGuire at 9 for awhile. I also like the power hitter from USC, although another high-K power guy may not be what the Pirates need right now.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
Did he have Appel No. 1?

According to info I've gleaned from Google, no.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:08 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Did he have Appel No. 1?

Gray #1, Appel #2. Said he thinks the Astros will cut a below slot deal with Gray and use the money on guys with signability issues in the 2nd and 3rd rounds again.

Has Bryant at #3, Kohl Stewart #4 (with a mention of Reese McGuire possibly going), Moran at #5, then the 3 college arms at 6-7-8 before a bit of a run on bats with Ball being the only pitcher taken in the next 8 picks.

Baseball America had Moran going #9 to the Pirates, but that was about 2 weeks earlier. Sean Manaea was their guy for us at #14.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:18 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I've liked McGuire at 9 for awhile. I also like the power hitter from USC, although another high-K power guy may not be what the Pirates need right now.

I didn't see a guy from USC in the mock so maybe he'll be an option in round 2. Worth a shot at that point. Unless you're thinking of Bryant from San Diego? No chance he gets past #3 it sounds like, which is a shame.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Can't remember the guy from USC's name. He was bandied about as a possible top-10 pick a few months back. Said to have the most power in this year's class.

EDIT: Domonic Smith. Kind of leery of prospects named Domonic at the moment, though.

EDIT 2: Signed with USC, isn't with them. My bad. High school hitter, so he'd be in the minors for awhile. Hopefully Moran falls to 9 and McGuire to 14.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:52 pm 

Not a fan of drafting high school arms in the first round unless they are Taillon-like in talent.

The kid mentioned at 14 is not close to that talent level, so pass. Just waaaay too many problems likely in terms of injury, developing secondary pitches, command, etc.

Get the hitters unless the pitcher is Taillon, Bundy, Cole, Strasburg level.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 pm 

Colin Moran and Reese McGuire are two solid lefty bats. I'd like to see the Bucs pick up at least one of those two.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:47 pm 

It's looking like a BPA draft for the Bucs, but, with one of their first two picks, it couldn't hurt them to choose a 3B as Pedro insurance (should he leave or continue to struggle).

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:19 pm 

New Baseball America draft has the Bucs picking Reese McGuire 9th and Hunter Renfroe 14th.

Also, once again, mentioned Trey Ball as a possibility and they said if Peterson is there at 14 he'll be the pick. Renfroe is considered Best College Bat Available after Moran, Bryant, and Peterson, hence the selection.

Callus said they'll likely go BPA from college bats...Baseball America's is Renfroe but they mentioned Austin Wilson, Aaron Judge, Ervin, and Jaglieo (sp) from Notre Dame as possibilities.

McGuire, Ball, and Peterson have been heavily tied to the Pirates recently, particularly McGuire, who Huntington has scouted personally on multiple occasions. McGuire and Peterson were noted as being our best-case scenario. Cleveland is apparently locked in on Moran.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:54 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
New Baseball America draft has the Bucs picking Reese McGuire 9th and Hunter Renfroe 14th.

I would be thrilled with that. McGuire and Renfroe are legit bats, and Renfroe has a cannon in the OF.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:02 pm 

Kiley McDaniel released another mock draft today and once again had McGuire going 9 and Renfroe at 14.

Pirates seem to be locking in on McGuire...which I definitely like hearing. If they go college bat at 14, that's about the best draft they could have unless a big time guy (Meadows, Ball) drops.

I think going upside at 9 and need/close to the majors at 14 is a solid strategy.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:07 pm 

Law's new mock has Pirates taking McGuire at 9 (with Meadows, Frazier, and Ball getting consideration) and then DJ Peterson at 14 (with the aforementioned guys considered if available).

In a big shocker, he has Colin Moran going #1, with Houston cutting a big deal with him. It's been rumored that they might do that but apparently it's picking up steam. Of course, it could just be a bargaining ploy. But since Moran seems locked in at 5 they think they might offer a bit over the 5th pick's slot.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Anybody familiar with the dude from SD with 30 HRs? Kris something? Is he another college power hitter who doesn't really translate to MLB? Most mocks have him top 5 but you never know.

He does seem to be another high-K type, but I like power!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:31 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Anybody familiar with the dude from SD with 30 HRs? Kris something? Is he another college power hitter who doesn't really translate to MLB? Most mocks have him top 5 but you never know.

He does seem to be another high-K type, but I like power!

Kris Bryant. No chance he falls to us, unfortunately. Haven't seen him anywhere but #3 for months. K Rate and BB Rate are much improved this year but the main attraction seems to be 30+ HR power....not contact. Doesn't seem as regarded as Pedro, but I don't think anybody projected Pedro to never learn to hit curveballs consistently.

Jonathan Mayo's new mock has McGuire at 9 and Renfroe at 14.

I think any combination of these 6 who have been mentioned would be a fantastic haul.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:51 pm 

Newest Baseball America mock has Pirates going McGuire-Peterson. Pretty consistent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:39 pm 

Mayo, Callis, and Law all have the Pirates taking McGuire at #9.

At 14, they have Renfroe, Peterson, and Dominic Smith, respectively.

Again, I think any combo of them, in addition to Ball, Meadows, Frazier, and Crawford is a really nice haul.

Obviously if you get a guy like Shipley or Stewart or Moran to fall to you that'd be a home run pick.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:55 pm 

Kiley McDaniel has McGuire and Smith, too.

Will be interesting to see what might happen if 2 of Peterson, Renfroe, and Smith are there. I think Smith is BPA but Peterson and Renfroe are closer to the bigs and could move pretty quickly.

Rumors that the Rockies might take Smith at 3, but those seem unlikely and more just a case of really liking him.