Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nationals Making an Offer for Teixeria
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:13 pm 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3761291

Quote:
The Washington Nationals made their best New York Yankees impersonation on Wednesday.

According to MLB.com, the team made an eight-year, $160 million offer to free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira.

The Los Angeles Angels, Boston Red Sox, and, yes, the Yankees have been rumored to be chasing the switch-hitter, but the Web site reports that Teixeira has been the Nats' top offseason target.

The Los Angeles Times reported on Wednesday that the Baltimore Orioles have also made an offer to Teixeira, believed to be for seven years and about $150 million.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Nationals Making an Offer for Teixeria
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:17 pm 

When will the Nats and O's realize that spending gobs of money on free agents, even great ones like Teixeira, is not going to help them win without a solid core of players that they don't currently have?

Actually, I hope they never realize it. It makes it easier to compete for the Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:19 pm 

Willton wrote:
When will the Nats and O's realize that spending gobs of money on free agents, even great ones like Teixeira, is not going to help them win without a solid core of players that they don't currently have?

Actually, I hope they never realize it. It makes it easier to compete for the Pirates.

If those teams would sign him, he'd only be there a few years before he is disgruntled and wants out and then is dealt for a few fringe prospects and an average fielder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:55 pm 

Willton wrote:

Local connection + grumpy fanbases = questionable decision-making. If Teixiera had grown up a Pirates fan in Wexford, could you imagine the uproar from the omgardds of the world if he was allowed to sign elsewhere without even a token offer?

That said, the O's aren't as far away as many people think — certainly closer to respectability than the Nats — but not close enough to warrant spending $20M/year on anyone. And they do have a vested interest in running the bidding up as high as they can before he eventually slips to the Sawx or Yanks.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:13 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Willton wrote:

Local connection + grumpy fanbases = questionable decision-making. If Teixiera had grown up a Pirates fan in Wexford, could you imagine the uproar from the omgardds of the world if he was allowed to sign elsewhere without even a token offer?

That said, the O's aren't as far away as many people think — certainly closer to respectability than the Nats — but not close enough to warrant spending $20M/year on anyone. And they do have a vested interest in running the bidding up as high as they can before he eventually slips to the Sawx or Yanks.

Win-win scenerio, drive up the price, make Sox and Yanks outbid you and if he decides to take your offer, you have a GG caliber switch hitting firstbaseman.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:57 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:

Win-win scenerio, drive up the price, make Sox and Yanks outbid you and if he decides to take your offer, you have a GG caliber switch hitting firstbaseman.

Yeah, and less money to spend elsewhere. And don't doubt that Tex could extract a no-trade clause from the O's, making him very difficult to flip for good value in return.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 pm 

All this must be driving Hank Blalock insane.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:05 pm 

Kingston wrote:
All this must be driving Hank Blalock insane.

Why do you say that? I'm not sure I understand the reference.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:18 pm 

Back in Texas, Teixeira and Blalock pretty much came up at the same time and were the two cornerstones, supposedly, of the team's future, their 2 elite power hitting prospects. So what happens? Teixeira lives up to the billing and is about to be obscenely overpaid, while Blalock's career has, lets be charitable here, been a disappointment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:54 pm 

Willton wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Yeah, and less money to spend elsewhere. And don't doubt that Tex could extract a no-trade clause from the O's, making him very difficult to flip for good value in return.

They do have a little more financial flexibility with the revenues coming in from MASN. But I would earmark it for extending Nick Markakis, Adam Jones and Matt Wieters (when he comes up next spring, a la the Rays and Longoria) first and foremost.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:59 pm 

As agenting and negotiations go, Im starting to think that Baltimore and DC are to Teixeira what SF and Milwaukee were to Sabathia. Just being used to up the price.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:36 pm 

They do have a little more financial flexibility with the revenues coming in from MASN. But I would earmark it for extending Nick Markakis, Adam Jones and Matt Wieters (when he comes up next spring, a la the Rays and Longoria) first and foremost.

Weiters might be up in 2009 now that Hernandez was traded to the Reds...Pretty much opened the door for him opening day 2009, or after the All-Star Break...

I wonder when we'll see Moskos?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:23 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

Weiters might be up in 2009 now that Hernandez was traded to the Reds...Pretty much opened the door for him opening day 2009, or after the All-Star Break...

When he starts getting batters out with regularity. Don't hold your breath.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:28 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

I think I already have, but I couldn't tell for sure. The paper hat he was wearing while flipping burgers made it difficult to get a good ID.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:35 pm 

BBF wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I think I already have, but I couldn't tell for sure. The paper hat he was wearing while flipping burgers made it difficult to get a good ID.

I heard he was clocked flipping burgers in the low 90's with awesome control...and had an assortment of condiments to go with it too...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:37 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
BBF wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I heard he was clocked flipping burgers in the low 90's with awesome control...and had an assortment of condiments to go with it too...

Ohhh... condiments... hadda read that twice. Too much scotch.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:17 am 

nad69dan wrote:
BBF wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

The Lastest footage of Moskos...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:22 am 

nad69dan wrote:

Wieters will be the full-time catcher for the O's as of May 1st. Book it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:05 am 

Willton wrote:

There's nothing questionable about signing Teixeira. Good move for the Nats. It'd be nice to have a 28 year old in his prime local superstar to go after who actually wanted to sign with us despite our record. That team already has nice young players in Ryan Zimmerman, Lastings Milledge and Elijah Dukes as well as Cristian Guzman coming off a decent year to complement Teixiera in that lineup, when you factor in them drafting Stephen Strasburg in June plus them also having the 10th pick in the draft due to them not signing Aaron Crow, that signing would make them much improved.

The Orioles have probably one of the best minor league systems in baseball led by the top prospect in minor league baseball who I'm sure we've all heard of, a nice young OF in Markakis, Jones and Luke Scott plus 3 quality pitching prospects on the way in Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz and Jake Arrietta. This is a team ready to explode and compete for the division crown in 2010 with a Teixeira in the lineup.

While you all laugh giggle and titter, either the Nationals or Orioles are going to make themselves a whole lot better in a lot faster time if either one of them lands Teixiera and don't have to tell their grumpy impatient fans to wait 5 more years before they start winning. Lucky sonsabitches. I don't think either of these times have anywhere near the money the Sox or the Yankees do, but are building with a combination of young stars and high priced talent. See you can have the best of both worlds guys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:40 am 

omgardd wrote:
Willton wrote:

There's nothing questionable about signing Teixeira. Good move for the Nats. It'd be nice to have a 28 year old in his prime local superstar to go after who actually wanted to sign with us despite our record. That team already has nice young players in Ryan Zimmerman, Lastings Milledge and Elijah Dukes as well as Cristian Guzman coming off a decent year to complement Teixiera in that lineup, when you factor in them drafting Stephen Strasburg in June plus them also having the 10th pick in the draft due to them not signing Aaron Crow, that signing would make them much improved.

The Orioles have probably one of the best minor league systems in baseball led by the top prospect in minor league baseball who I'm sure we've all heard of.

While you all laugh giggle and titter, either the Nationals and Orioles are going to make themselves a whole lot better in a lot faster time and don't have to tell their grumpy impatient fans to wait 5 more years before they start winning.

No, instead they'll have to tell their grumpy impatient fans in 3 years that they still don't have the pitching to compete and need to sell off Tex for pitching prospects.

Signing Teixeira will not make either team a contender. Heck, it may not even make either team over .500. And that is because Mark Teixeira does not pitch, and pitching is what both teams need desperately, almost as desperately as the Bucs.