Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Since May 3rd . .
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 am 

Player #1: 8-31; 2 doubles; 3 HRs; 4 RBIs; 1 BB; 6 Ks; .258 BA; .281 OBP; .613 SLG; .894 OPS
Player #2: 8-24; 0 doubles; 2 HRs; 4 RBIs; 1 BB; 4 Ks; .333 BA; .360 OBP; .583 SLG; .943 OPS

Not advocating a "keep Mercer" or a "demote Mercer" viewpoint here - just posting comparative stats. I think that rational arguments can be made on either side of the equation - although I definitely fall in the "Mercer needs to get regular play" category.

Post subject: Re: Since May 3rd . .
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:20 am 

It will be interesting to see what they do today. I would dump McDonald, but I won't be shocked if they send Mercer down.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:25 am 

I think most of us fans are aware that Barmes has picked it up lately. It's great to see. But the real decision is Mercer versus McDonald, and that's no contest.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I think most of us fans are aware that Barmes has picked it up lately. It's great to see. But the real decision is Mercer versus McDonald, and that's no contest.

I think that's too simplistic.

Depends upon the role that you see for the player occupying that spot on the roster.

If the role is back up SS, late inning defensive double-switch rare replacement, the pick is McDonald.

If the role is "roving" back-up who will force Walker, Barmes and Alvarez to the bench on a rotating basis, then the pick should be Mercer.

I'd be willing to bet big money that, if Barmes were to pull his hamstring tomorrow and went on 15 day DL, Mercer would be called up to be the everyday SS.

The difference in perspective doesn't lie with who is a better everyday player, the difference lies with the role currently played by McDonald and how keeping Mercer would change others' roles.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:59 am 

No. 9 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I think that's too simplistic.

Depends upon the role that you see for the player occupying that spot on the roster.

If the role is back up SS, late inning defensive double-switch rare replacement, the pick is McDonald.

If the role is "roving" back-up who will force Walker, Barmes and Alvarez to the bench on a rotating basis, then the pick should be Mercer.

I'd be willing to bet big money that, if Barmes were to pull his hamstring tomorrow and went on 15 day DL, Mercer would be called up to be the everyday SS.

The difference in perspective doesn't lie with who is a better everyday player, the difference lies with the role currently played by McDonald and how keeping Mercer would change others' roles.

Agreed. Mercer should be handed the Inge role, Inge should be given the McDonald role, and McDonald should be sent packing. That's what should happen.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:20 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Agreed. Mercer should be handed the Inge role, Inge should be given the McDonald role, and McDonald should be sent packing. That's what should happen.

Not going to happen. Bucs see Inge as being a superior defensive replacement for Alvarez and McDonald as the equivalent defensive replacment for Barmes. Either can man second base defensively equal to Walker. Inge offers the ability to play some outfield.

Mercer may be Alvarez's equivalent at 3B, he is not the defensive equivalent of Walker at 2B (although not a marked drop-off) or Barmes at SS. Given the Bucs focus on defense and run prevention in the infield and desire to have a strong defense on the field for late game situations, Mercer's superior bat (compared to McDonald's) won't carry the day. Not with the current emphasis on defense and run prevention.

I'm not claiming that anyone is crazy or insane for wanting Mercer on the active roster. I'm simply pointing out that the roster is currently structured in a manner that values defense at the cost of some offense. I don't expect that the Bucs are suddenly going to shift their strategy based upon Mercer's 32 plate appearances. They picked a route on 4/1 and they are going to stick to it.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:52 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Not going to happen. Bucs see Inge as being a superior defensive replacement for Alvarez and McDonald as the equivalent defensive replacment for Barmes. Either can man second base defensively equal to Walker. Inge offers the ability to play some outfield.

Mercer may be Alvarez's equivalent at 3B, he is not the defensive equivalent of Walker at 2B (although not a marked drop-off) or Barmes at SS. Given the Bucs focus on defense and run prevention in the infield and desire to have a strong defense on the field for late game situations, Mercer's superior bat (compared to McDonald's) won't carry the day. Not with the current emphasis on defense and run prevention.

I'm not claiming that anyone is crazy or insane for wanting Mercer on the active roster. I'm simply pointing out that the roster is currently structured in a manner that values defense at the cost of some offense. I don't expect that the Bucs are suddenly going to shift their strategy based upon Mercer's 32 plate appearances. They picked a route on 4/1 and they are going to stick to it.

Defense in your lineup is fine. But keeping guys on the bench as defensive helpers is insane. Mercer can man second base very well and he can play a dependable shortstop. He's be perfectly capable at third base as well. He SHOULD get the Inge role. That he won't is frustrating because McDonald's glove hasn't been nearly good enough to make up for the sub-.300 OPS he's registered in his at-bats.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm 

This club has 3 defensive minded players at short in barmes and the two bench guys. That's to much. I'll again make the argument that barmes shouldn't ever have to be double switched for unless the club needs runs. That is was Mercer can provide or at least has the potential to provide. Inge maybe, McDonald not a chance. And Mercer isn't a prospect any longer ala Hague.

To review, barmes should've ever be double switched for, because of his durability, unless offense is needed. That'll be late in a game anyways. Mercer would fill in adequately at short for barmes, walker at second and for Alvarez at third if need be. That's Inge 's and martins spot anyways when its not alvarez'.

The argument that at 26 Mercer needs to play everyday is squash. He's been doing that for 3 years now while posting solid numbers. Ask the kid where he'd rather be?