Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting Rotation
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 am 

Our current 5 man starting rotation is looking mighty good right now. I know Liriano has only made one start and Gomez will likely go back to a long reliever spot soon, but still, success has got to start somewhere. Here are their current ERAs.

AJ Burnett- 2.57 (leads NL is strikeouts)
Wandy Rodriguez- 3.62
Jeff Locke- 2.95
Francisco Liriano- 1.69 (5.1 innings)
Jeanmar Gomez- 2.28

What a pleasant surprise Gomez has been. Even if he goes to the bullpen, it's nice to have a solid option if a starter has a bad start and has to be pulled early.

Post subject: Re: Starting Rotation
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:31 am 

Gomez has been quite good this year even when he was filling in during his long relief roles (cleaning up Sanchez's mess). I wouldn't really say he's been a surprise, more like a relief. Just a couple weeks ago it seemed like the rotation was in scrambles. The only sure thing was Burnett at that time. Rodriguez had a bum hammy, Locke was still trying to figure things out and Liriano and Morton was still rehabbing.

No worries right now to speak of. Morton's setback was minor, Cole is dominating while still working on command and he'll be ready soon. Depth is great to have in a system but it also allows for great trading pieces as well.

Even the offense is put together well. A star, stars on the rise, solids everyday players and nice little platoons for righty / lefty matchups.

And Walker comes back tomorrow (I'll be sad to see Mercer go if he does but he showed he belongs) and that'll be a big boost.

Post subject: Re: Starting Rotation
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:44 am 

The starting pitching has been great outside of a certain someone. Adding Kartens and Morton to the mix and figuring out the rotation is a problem I'm sure Hurdle won't mind having considering he'll have so many starting-quality guys to choose from. That's not even counting JMac, if he can ever get his head straight, and Cole waiting in AAA...plus Taillon...plus Pimentel.