Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Come on now...
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

ZelieMike wrote:
Will you all like Mercer until he gets past 30 AB's and the league sees him for a second time and he reverts to his usual transitional phase to the next level. This is, he slumps badly, and cannot play SS nearly well enough to offset that. Who will be the backup quarterback then?

You are sitting in a wild card race with one of the best records in the NL. Yep, let's dump an untested rookie at the key position in the middle of that and see how it goes.

ZM

You're worried that if Mercer can't cut it, the Bucs will lose out on...John McDonald?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:36 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Will you all like Mercer until he gets past 30 AB's and the league sees him for a second time and he reverts to his usual transitional phase to the next level. This is, he slumps badly, and cannot play SS nearly well enough to offset that. Who will be the backup quarterback then?

No need to make stuff up. He has not had enough playing time for you to say "revert back to his usual phase". Nor is he not good defensively.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:42 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
And he's on pace to break the team's record for hit by pitches too.

I love that he doesn't even try to get out of the way. He doesn't move. And he takes his base. Doing his job.

He won't be doing his job when he gets a hand broken. He practically holds them in the strike zone.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:32 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

TheShark wrote:

No need to make stuff up. He has not had enough playing time for you to say "revert back to his usual phase". Nor is he not good defensively.
'

Whoa there big guy.

I am not making stuff up. His "usual phase" at every level he's played at is to start very slow take about a season to adjust.

I have seen him play enough. He has been at 2B for 3 years running in the minors and not played SS regularly until this year when d'Arnoud got hurt. Now how does Chase d'Arnoud take the SS job all through the minors when they are together? It has to be one of two reasons, right? Either Mercer is such a fabulous SS that you can plug and play him there at any time, or d'Arnoud is the better option.

You don't think they've watched him at every level? You don't think they've seen him at SS at ST for extended periods of time to establish if he can or cannot, (or is behind others) at playing SS?

Hurdle has to win. NH h as to win to keep a job. You don't think they go with the best option?

Now, I will reiterate that I believe he could become a Gene Alley type. And further, I would release J Mac and try to work Mercer in at 2b, 3b and SS during the season for regular play to see how he does and where he fits. Keep Inge on the bench for his potential 8th inning HR.

My comments are directed at those that want to ditch Barmes.

I think I see the outline of a screenplay "Pining for Frank Reich - a baseball birthday wish" The Jordy Mercer Story!

ZM

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:46 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I have seen him play enough. He has been at 2B for 3 years running in the minors and not played SS regularly until this year when d'Arnoud got hurt.

He has been playing SS regularly since the middle/end of 2010. Including last year in AAA when he was promoted. And he played all of 2011 at short in AA. Yes, he, d'Arnaud and Harrison were sometimes moved around because there was an infield logjam in the minors. He eventually replaced d'Arnaud there (in 2010) because of his play, before d'Arnaud was injured. The Pirates view him as a shortstop and as an option there next year. The position isn't an issue.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:56 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Maybe. I hope that is the case. NH certainly implied it during the one interview I heard. Still, there is nothing he has done a SS in MiLB that I could trust TODAY to ditch Barmes.

I would like to see him stay on though. He looks better at the plate than Harrison to me.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:23 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

My comments are directed at those that want to ditch Barmes.

I think I see the outline of a screenplay "Pining for Frank Reich - a baseball birthday wish" The Jordy Mercer Story!

ZM

Fair enough. I don't think many of us here want to ditch Barmes. We want an end to a Barmes and McDonald platoon. And I'd Mercer to get an honest chance to see if he belongs, to see if he can contribute something to this team.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:55 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

During the 70's, a decade in which the Bills went 0-20 against the Dolphins, a bumper sticker made the rounds in WNY.....

"Go Bills, and take the Sabres with you." 8-) 8-) :D :D

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:22 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
TheShark wrote:

'

Whoa there big guy.

I am not making stuff up. His "usual phase" at every level he's played at is to start very slow take about a season to adjust.

I have seen him play enough. He has been at 2B for 3 years running in the minors and not played SS regularly until this year when d'Arnoud got hurt.

Mercer has played more games at shortstop than any other position every year of his minor league career but one.

Quote:
Now how does Chase d'Arnoud take the SS job all through the minors when they are together? It has to be one of two reasons, right? Either Mercer is such a fabulous SS that you can plug and play him there at any time, or d'Arnoud is the better option.

That could be. Or it could be that they decided that d'Arnaud needed more work at shortstop than Mercer did, as I hear Neil Huntington say in an interview back in 2010.

I do agree with you that Barmes has to continue at short, as long as he doesn't plunge off of a cliff. We should keep Mercer as the middle infield backup and bid sayonara to McDonald. And I think that we would if the manager wasn't Clint Hurdle, who would definitely anchor Mercer to the bench again, just like he did last year.