Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morton removed from AAA rehab start
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:44 pm 

Looks like a setback (to what extent, unsure) for Charlie Morton who was progressing very quickly -- was removed from tonight's rehab start in Indianapolis with right shoulder tightness after 49 pitches.

Post subject: Re: Morton removed from AAA rehab start
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ugh.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:40 am 

Bummer, that buys JMac and Locke a few more starts to decide who stays and who goes.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:29 am 

Well, sh*t.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:57 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Bummer, that buys JMac and Locke a few more starts to decide who stays and who goes.

Hey, I like Charlie Morton. I like where he seemed to be going before he got hurt. But, why are we all assuming he takes a spot away from Locke or JMac? Locke has pitched very well. JMac has been up and down, but has potential. Why are we all assuming an injury-recovering Morton is better and will take their place?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Animal wrote:
Hey, I like Charlie Morton. I like where he seemed to be going before he got hurt. But, why are we all assuming he takes a spot away from Locke or JMac? Locke has pitched very well. JMac has been up and down, but has potential. Why are we all assuming an injury-recovering Morton is better and will take their place?

I agree with this. All Locke has done is go 3-1 with a 2.83 ERA. JMac isn't being removed from the rotation any time soon either. The Pirates need him to be a successful starter. His stuff is filthy, if he can only get his head straight.

I'm not sure if Chuck goes to the bullpen or stays near the phone in Indy but it's nice that he is throwing well. Hopefully the bum shoulder is nothing, just a minor setback.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:30 pm 

...and the same with Liriano... I realize he is going to go into the rotation, and rightly so...but maybe when Morton is ready HE is the oddman out?

He was GREAT in 2003.
Good in 2010.

In 2011, he was 9-10 5.09, with 5 BB per 9 innings.
In 2012, he was 6-12 5.34, with 5 BB per 9 innings.

He is coming off a couple different injuries...so what makes him better than Locke, JMac or even Morton??

Let's just be happy with what we have so far, Burnett, WRod, Locke, and JMac... find someone for #5, and go from there!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:02 pm 

Animal wrote:
He is coming off a couple different injuries...so what makes him better than Locke, JMac or even Morton??

The hope with Liriano is that the transition to a new league/division, better ballpark and better defense behind him can work in the same vein that it did with a guy like Burnett and he can keep a respectable ERA while his strike out stuff is able to flourish. Liriano has an arsenal that includes mixing a mid-90s fastball with a high 80s slider, and obviously control is the achilles heel. Also provides a second LHP to the rotation to Locke, or perhaps the sole one if Locke gets bumped. If with the changes listed above he is able to work his ERA more in line with his xFIP then he could be a fine addition to the rotation.

As for the Morton comparison, keep in mind that Morton is just as injury-prone as Liriano if not moreso, and as far as consistency goes, Morton is just as inconsistent except he has never attained the success that Liriano has. 2011 was his most successful full, healthy season, and while it was very good, it was a roller coaster ride: he was dominant to start the season but was awful in June/July and then average the last few months. Combine that with the fact that the struggles have been way more prominent than the positives in his career (with those struggles sometimes being absolute disasters) while also factoring in the problems with his health and it isn't the most optimistic outlook. I have no idea where Morton fits into the rotation plans, he is surely behind Karstens and Liriano when they're healthy. If hypothetically McDonald does get bumped out of the rotation at some point, that will make things interesting. But it will all hinge on how McDonald and Locke perform as those three guys get healthy.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Animal wrote:

The hope with Liriano is that the transition to a new league/division, better ballpark and better defense behind him can work in the same vein that it did with a guy like Burnett and he can keep a respectable ERA while his strike out stuff is able to flourish. Liriano has an arsenal that includes mixing a mid-90s fastball with a high 80s slider, and obviously control is the achilles heel. Also provides a second LHP to the rotation to Locke, or perhaps the sole one if Locke gets bumped. If with the changes listed above he is able to work his ERA more in line with his xFIP then he could be a fine addition to the rotation.

As for the Morton comparison, keep in mind that Morton is just as injury-prone as Liriano if not moreso, and as far as consistency goes, Morton is just as inconsistent except he has never attained the success that Liriano has. 2011 was his most successful full, healthy season, and while it was very good, it was a roller coaster ride: he was dominant to start the season but was awful in June/July and then average the last few months. Combine that with the fact that the struggles have been way more prominent than the positives in his career (with those struggles sometimes being absolute disasters) while also factoring in the problems with his health and it isn't the most optimistic outlook. I have no idea where Morton fits into the rotation plans, he is surely behind Karstens and Liriano when they're healthy. If hypothetically McDonald does get bumped out of the rotation at some point, that will make things interesting. But it will all hinge on how McDonald and Locke perform as those three guys get healthy.

I certainly understand all of that...but the point is that Liriano is still not any guarantee of being any better than any of them.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:05 pm 

Animal wrote:
I certainly understand all of that...but the point is that Liriano is still not any guarantee of being any better than any of them.

First, you need to keep the scorecard straight.

Liriano is replacing Sanchez/Gomez.

I would bet Oprah's real weight in platinum that Liriano is an upgrade over Sanchez/Gomez.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:28 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Animal wrote:

First, you need to keep the scorecard straight.

Liriano is replacing Sanchez/Gomez.

I would bet Oprah's real weight in platinum that Liriano is an upgrade over Sanchez/Gomez.

Well, I agree with that 100%, but I meant more along the lines of when Morton and Karstens come back. I see the three of THEM fighting for one rotation spot

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:13 pm 

Been so long for Charlie, sometimes I forget he's still on the team. Hoping Karstens is back soon.