Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:05 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Wow. It's weird when there's a huge p*ssing contest on this board and I'm not in the middle of it.

Get your shit together, J_C.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 pm 

I quit posting here for 8 or 9 months and had even requested my account be deleted to which I got no response. I see not much has changed...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:20 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Also, JC, did you just call this place weird?

http://thesaurus.com/browse/weird

Main Entry:
weird  [weerd] Show IPA
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: odd, bizarre
Synonyms: awful, creepy*, dreadful

Did you just call everybody awful, creepy with an asterisk and dreadful? Was that really necessary?

F*CK YOU, APE! I HOPE YOU DIE! I HOPE YOUR LIFE IS FILLED WITH UNENDING PAIN AND ENDS IN DESPAIR!

Anyway, that's what I meant by "weird," based on its archaic Middle English etymology.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:21 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Wow. It's weird when there's a huge p*ssing contest on this board and I'm not in the middle of it.

Get your shit together, J_C.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I hope your life ends in desmoines!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:34 pm 

Big Lebowski - great movie.

Mrs. Bucfan and I are friends with Leon Russom, who played the Police Chief of Malibu in that movie (the cop who throws the coffee cup at Jeff Bridges).

Live in LA, hang out with movie stars.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Also, JC, did you just call this place weird?

http://thesaurus.com/browse/weird

Main Entry:
weird  [weerd] Show IPA
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: odd, bizarre
Synonyms: awful, creepy*, dreadful

Did you just call everybody awful, creepy with an asterisk and dreadful? Was that really necessary?

:lol:

TheShark wrote:
Looks like TheShark has become a board villain.

To be honest, as a spectator to this crash I have no idea what the F is going on.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:20 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Ahem . . . some of us happen to have a fair amount of fondness for Des Moines . . . don't knock it until you visit. My door is always open for fellow members (with exception of Gary and VOR) ;)

Come on over. We've got some outstanding restaurants, some fantastic brew pubs, low cost of living, low crime, low unemployment and a highly educated population. Its a great place to live.

Nationwide ranking in 2012 - top 6 cities for startup businesses (CNN money), #1 city to raise families (Kiplinger), 4th best city for business and careers (Forbes), #2 city for jobs (Forbes).

As for the state . . . #3 in best states to "be young in America" (Business Insider) and #5 of "best run states. (Yahoo).

Ok . . I'm off my Des Moines Chamber of Commerce soapbox . . . ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Maybe its time to come back? If only as a calming influence. :D

Or, maybe just to agitate JC...

ZM

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
Ahem . . . some of us happen to have a fair amount of fondness for Des Moines . . . don't knock it until you visit. My door is always open for fellow members (with exception of Gary and VOR) ;)

Come on over. We've got some outstanding restaurants, some fantastic brew pubs, low cost of living, low crime, low unemployment and a highly educated population. Its a great place to live.

Nationwide ranking in 2012 - top 6 cities for startup businesses (CNN money), #1 city to raise families (Kiplinger), 4th best city for business and careers (Forbes), #2 city for jobs (Forbes).

As for the state . . . #3 in best states to "be young in America" (Business Insider) and #5 of "best run states. (Yahoo).

Atta baby No. 9! You saved me from having to rant about Des Moines. I love that city!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 pm 

Why is it every time I bring up Jordy Mercer we have to argue about Des Moines?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:21 am 

Bucfan wrote:

Where's Buck when we need him.

No. 9 wrote:

Does it snow there????

ZelieMike wrote:
Maybe its time to come back? If only as a calming influence. :D

Where the hell have you been....Mars? Pa.?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:40 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I found myself getting way too pissed at the antics of the Judge last year, and had to take a break from running baseball comments through the prism of political views and baiting.

I tend to fall into the BD and Shark school on Mercer (their arguments don't seem to revolve around him) in that he looks like he might develop into a functional MLB SS. Not sure, given his development history of slow starts at new levels, if you want to abandon Barmes at this point though.

Since Mercer looks to be the only thing close a young SS in the higher systems, I hope he can become a "Gene Alley" type. That would work for me.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 am 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

I'm sure it's a wonderful place. Was just a play on 'despair'.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:31 pm 

This is not a great place for political discussion or things like that. It turns sour quickly and this place is for baseball. Personally I shy away from heated arguments, here or anywhere else, but not everyone does.

We've always strived to keep the discussion here intelligent, civil, and relatively clean, and for the most part we are successful. Certainly Barys Doper's comments were in that vein.

Shark, I didn't read all your posts in great detail but I'm pretty sure you did nothing wrong and are certainly not a board villain. Hopefully Barrys will continue to post here but if not oh well its a free country.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:55 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Big Lebowski - great movie.

One of the best.

Bucfan wrote:
Mrs. Bucfan and I are friends with Leon Russom, who played the Police Chief of Malibu in that movie (the cop who throws the coffee cup at Jeff Bridges).

That's pretty awesome. My only claim to fame in that department was having an impromptu breakfast with former Buffalo Bills' coach Marv Levy in Century City at a hotel. As a football fan, it was great. His best line? "Parcells stole the snap count on us in that Super Bowl. Pissed me off." Too bad his Bills could never bring home a Lombardi for Buffalo.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:50 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Bucfan wrote:

That's pretty awesome. My only claim to fame in that department was having an impromptu breakfast with former Buffalo Bills' coach Marv Levy in Century City at a hotel. As a football fan, it was great. His best line? "Parcells stole the snap count on us in that Super Bowl. Pissed me off." Too bad his Bills could never bring home a Lombardi for Buffalo.

My claim to near greatness: I once stopped to pick up a hitch hiker and it turned out to be Meatloaf. And my wife is an acquaintance of Linda Hamilton's brother and I've had lunch with her. Even told her a very amusing anecdote of her show, Beauty and the Beast, and didn't make an idiot of myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:17 pm 

val wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Bucfan wrote:

My claim to near greatness: I once stopped to pick up a hitch hiker and it turned out to be Meatloaf. And my wife is an acquaintance of Linda Hamilton's brother and I've had lunch with her. Even told her a very amusing anecdote of her show, Beauty and the Beast, and didn't make an idiot of myself.

OK....I have to gloat. An old friend of mine is a Grammy winning music producer and I've gotten to hang out with some legends with him....like John Paul Jones, Dave Grohl and just last Wednesday......RUSH.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:20 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

OK, since we are at almost good.

I was climbing the stairs at college to the college cafe when I saw Bruce Jenner and entourage coming down the stairs. This was just after his Olympic feats and well before he met a Khardasian.

Me: "Hey"
Bruce: Briefly slowing down "Hey".

ZM

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:29 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

OK....I have to gloat. An old friend of mine is a Grammy winning music producer and I've gotten to hang out with some legends with him....like John Paul Jones, Dave Grohl and just last Wednesday......RUSH.

Jealous! Rush=Greatest Band of All Time!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next