Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1875
Location: Naples, FL
Barrys Dopers wrote:



Well I guess I'm just an asshole because I respond with snark when the other guy started the whole attack acting like I don't know the difference between Hague and Mercer.



Looking back, he kind of did.

So now hopefully everybody can get over it and complain about Pedro not being demoted to single A.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 2793
Barrys Dopers wrote:
At any rate, this kind of thing is what makes this board sometimes so tedious that its not worth posting. My original post was just a jab at the Free Jordy Mercer sign bearing folks. It was deserved because its a tad bit ridiculous to get up in arms about marginal players. I called for Mercer before you did on other threads, we should be agreeing, but instead I'm about done with this crap.


I agree, it has gotten tedious. And it probably doesn't help that a mere two minutes after this "I'm done" post you made up a brand new angle to the argument. If you thought I was "attacking" you by disagreeing about the Hague comparison then that would explain a lot. Once again I would not take it so personally when someone disagrees with your subjective opinion. For me to disagree and you say it was an attack like you didn't know the difference between the two is absurd and you know it. It was the "they're equally useless" point that I was addressing, which you later acted like you didn't say when you said you I should have just agreed with the fanbase point which was only half of it. I understand that you're now saying that your main emphasis was meant to be on the fanbase thing, which is fine, but it wasn't known at the time.

Yeah, the argument has ran it's course and I wish I didn't need to keep correct things that are being said. I did so because of the continuous backpedaling and backpedaling, rather than conceding you were incorrect about something you say I just got lucky, nitpicking certain things you said while ignoring others, now just totally projecting regarding the "you attacked me first" thing. There isn't really much left to say. I'm just saying why it has gotten so drawn out. Whatever. You obviously disagree with every word I said here. Based on the way the dialogue has went up to this point I'm pretty certain that that isn't going to change.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4433
Location: Washington, DC
http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/05 ... .html?wt=2


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 4978
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
J_C_Steel wrote:
http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/05/what-to-do-with-jordy-mercer-when-neil-walker-returns.html?wt=2


A well-reasoned, thoughtful piece IMO.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10210
Barrys Dopers wrote:
I did not call you deceitful or dishonest, just misleading.

misleading
Synonyms: ... deceitful, deceiving, disingenuous ...
Antonyms: honest, truthful

http://thesaurus.com/browse/misleading


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10210
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Thanks for the personal name calling, nothing screams "I'm right and you're wrong" more than that.

You mean like calling a person deceitful, dishonest, etc.?

Gotcha.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
At any rate, this kind of thing is what makes this board sometimes so tedious that its not worth posting. My original post was just a jab at the Free Jordy Mercer sign bearing folks. It was deserved because its a tad bit ridiculous to get up in arms about marginal players. I called for Mercer before you did on other threads, we should be agreeing, but instead I'm about done with this crap.


I agree, it has gotten tedious. And it probably doesn't help that a mere two minutes after this "I'm done" post you made up a brand new angle to the argument. If you thought I was "attacking" you by disagreeing about the Hague comparison then that would explain a lot. Once again I would not take it so personally when someone disagrees with your subjective opinion. For me to disagree and you say it was an attack like you didn't know the difference between the two is absurd and you know it. It was the "they're equally useless" point that I was addressing, which you later acted like you didn't say when you said you I should have just agreed with the fanbase point which was only half of it. I understand that you're now saying that your main emphasis was meant to be on the fanbase thing, which is fine, but it wasn't known at the time.

Yeah, the argument has ran it's course and I wish I didn't need to keep correct things that are being said. I did so because of the continuous backpedaling and backpedaling, rather than conceding you were incorrect about something you say I just got lucky, nitpicking certain things you said while ignoring others, now just totally projecting regarding the "you attacked me first" thing. There isn't really much left to say. I'm just saying why it has gotten so drawn out. Whatever. You obviously disagree with every word I said here. Based on the way the dialogue has went up to this point I'm pretty certain that that isn't going to change.


Wow, just wow, I haven't backpedaled once here. I stand by my situational comparison, I stand by evaluation of Mercer, and I stand by my criticism of the Walker comparison. I have changed none of my argument in any single post.

Your know-it-all approach irked me when you acted like I have no clue about who Hague and Mercer are, that's why you got the chippy reply. I figured that was obvious from my initial reply to you. I never even replied to your original post about Mercer, I was talking to the Free Mercer sign posts. You butted in trying to educate me about how SS is more important than 1B no shit! I have never attacked you in the past when we have disagreed. I generally try and take the higher road here and let others have the last say, but this post is insulting beyond belief. I would think that my track record on this board would buy me some credibility is discussion about this team. I guess not. You compare Jordy Mercer to Neil Walker and I'm the idiot.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Thanks for the personal name calling, nothing screams "I'm right and you're wrong" more than that.

You mean like calling a person deceitful, dishonest, etc.?

Gotcha.


Tim, I said the stats were misleading which they were, for F's sake you made a mistake deal with it. I didn't say Tim lied to everyone here, I said that the post was "pretty misleading" which it was. You used stats incorrectly to reach a conclusion that Barmes isn't playing as well this year and that Mercer is above average at SS.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
I did not call you deceitful or dishonest, just misleading.

misleading
Synonyms: ... deceitful, deceiving, disingenuous ...
Antonyms: honest, truthful

http://thesaurus.com/browse/misleading


BTW, this is about as big of a douche post that I have ever seen here.

Three years of intelligent discussion and this is what I get?!

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10210
Barrys Dopers wrote:
BTW, this is about as big of a douche post that I have ever seen here.

It's a link to show that I correctly interpreted your comment. If you overstated your thought, then say so.

Your response does call to mind Queen Gertrude's comment, "The [gentleman] doth protest too much, methinks."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
At any rate, this kind of thing is what makes this board sometimes so tedious that its not worth posting. My original post was just a jab at the Free Jordy Mercer sign bearing folks. It was deserved because its a tad bit ridiculous to get up in arms about marginal players. I called for Mercer before you did on other threads, we should be agreeing, but instead I'm about done with this crap.


I agree, it has gotten tedious. And it probably doesn't help that a mere two minutes after this "I'm done" post you made up a brand new angle to the argument. If you thought I was "attacking" you by disagreeing about the Hague comparison then that would explain a lot. Once again I would not take it so personally when someone disagrees with your subjective opinion. For me to disagree and you say it was an attack like you didn't know the difference between the two is absurd and you know it. It was the "they're equally useless" point that I was addressing, which you later acted like you didn't say when you said you I should have just agreed with the fanbase point which was only half of it. I understand that you're now saying that your main emphasis was meant to be on the fanbase thing, which is fine, but it wasn't known at the time.

Yeah, the argument has ran it's course and I wish I didn't need to keep correct things that are being said. I did so because of the continuous backpedaling and backpedaling, rather than conceding you were incorrect about something you say I just got lucky, nitpicking certain things you said while ignoring others, now just totally projecting regarding the "you attacked me first" thing. There isn't really much left to say. I'm just saying why it has gotten so drawn out. Whatever. You obviously disagree with every word I said here. Based on the way the dialogue has went up to this point I'm pretty certain that that isn't going to change.


BTW, I said I was done trying to stick to being the bigger person, but your incessant postings to make it look like you prevailed brought out the worst in me. I'm tired of wasting emotion on faceless internet boards. I have tried to bring intelligent discussion to this board over the last 3 1/2 years regarding the team, the minors, MLB overall, and SABR topics. I feel that some here respect my view point and I thank those who do. I have had my run ins with No.9, Sis, and Wilton over the years, but I feel like civility generally prevailed. I apologize to those who I have offended and thank many of you for your unique takes on the greatest game. Its time for me to go.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 2793
Barrys Dopers wrote:
You compare Jordy Mercer to Neil Walker and I'm the idiot.


No, you're not an idiot. Never said you were one and would not say that you are one. I take it you don't feel the same about me though, given that you're essentially calling me one because of the Walker thing. Pretty ironic since you originally took offense to me calling you a name (which I didn't, I just said the tone of your post was making you seem that way). And I never said you attacked me in the past, either. It is downright hilarious to me that you claim that I have a "know-it-all approach" when the whole reason I got into this argument was your post on top of page 5. Not that I consider that an attack by any means, I just didn't appreciate the vitriol and snark in it and I wasn't afraid to express that.

By "backpedaling", I wasn't referring to you not standing by your views. I was referring to things like saying I got lucky when you proven wrong and saying I should have just conceded your point about Hague/the fanbase when it was clear that my qualms was with the other point about management having no faith in Mercer and why that differentiate from Hague, not the fanbase point. Or saying I created a strawman when I did not. Simply put, you say that my post was offensive, and the things you were saying I found offensive, so I added my input to them. That's all.

I like you, BD. Always have. I enjoy the fact that you're a Saber guy and stathead and generally enjoy what you contribute to the board. I think we mostly share the same optimistic view of the team and agree in some of our critiques of the FO. We had a disagreement, I don't see the point in you making a deal out of this and saying you deserved better because of what you usually contribute.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1875
Location: Naples, FL
Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
BTW, this is about as big of a douche post that I have ever seen here.

It's a link to show that I correctly interpreted your comment. If you overstated your thought, then say so.

Your response does call to mind Queen Gertrude's comment, "The [gentleman] doth protest too much, methinks."



Holy mother of f, people.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Last edited by SUPERCHARGED APE on Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3212
Location: Economy, PA
Barrys Dopers wrote:
TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
At any rate, this kind of thing is what makes this board sometimes so tedious that its not worth posting. My original post was just a jab at the Free Jordy Mercer sign bearing folks. It was deserved because its a tad bit ridiculous to get up in arms about marginal players. I called for Mercer before you did on other threads, we should be agreeing, but instead I'm about done with this crap.


I agree, it has gotten tedious. And it probably doesn't help that a mere two minutes after this "I'm done" post you made up a brand new angle to the argument. If you thought I was "attacking" you by disagreeing about the Hague comparison then that would explain a lot. Once again I would not take it so personally when someone disagrees with your subjective opinion. For me to disagree and you say it was an attack like you didn't know the difference between the two is absurd and you know it. It was the "they're equally useless" point that I was addressing, which you later acted like you didn't say when you said you I should have just agreed with the fanbase point which was only half of it. I understand that you're now saying that your main emphasis was meant to be on the fanbase thing, which is fine, but it wasn't known at the time.

Yeah, the argument has ran it's course and I wish I didn't need to keep correct things that are being said. I did so because of the continuous backpedaling and backpedaling, rather than conceding you were incorrect about something you say I just got lucky, nitpicking certain things you said while ignoring others, now just totally projecting regarding the "you attacked me first" thing. There isn't really much left to say. I'm just saying why it has gotten so drawn out. Whatever. You obviously disagree with every word I said here. Based on the way the dialogue has went up to this point I'm pretty certain that that isn't going to change.


BTW, I said I was done trying to stick to being the bigger person, but your incessant postings to make it look like you prevailed brought out the worst in me. I'm tired of wasting emotion on faceless internet boards. I have tried to bring intelligent discussion to this board over the last 3 1/2 years regarding the team, the minors, MLB overall, and SABR topics. I feel that some here respect my view point and I thank those who do. I have had my run ins with No.9, Sis, and Wilton over the years, but I feel like civility generally prevailed. I apologize to those who I have offended and thank many of you for your unique takes on the greatest game. Its time for me to go.


Well I figured it would come to this. Over a completely unnecessary argument. It takes two people to have one of these you know. All you have to do is stop responding and the argument goes away.

I hope you don't go. I value your judgements and look forward to your posts moreso than anyone else on this board. And I know you enjoy posting otherwise you wouldn't do it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1875
Location: Naples, FL
Did he just retire from a message board?

This place should be sponsored by Charmin.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4433
Location: Washington, DC
Wow. It's weird when there's a huge p*ssing contest on this board and I'm not in the middle of it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4433
Location: Washington, DC
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Did he just retire from a message board?

This place should be sponsored by Charmin.


Or Marc-Andre Fleury.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1875
Location: Naples, FL
J_C_Steel wrote:
Wow. It's weird when there's a huge p*ssing contest on this board and I'm not in the middle of it.



It's the weakest-streamed pissing contest ever.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1875
Location: Naples, FL
Also, JC, did you just call this place weird?

http://thesaurus.com/browse/weird

Main Entry:
weird  [weerd] Show IPA
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: odd, bizarre
Synonyms: awful, creepy*, dreadful


Did you just call everybody awful, creepy with an asterisk and dreadful? Was that really necessary?

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 2793
Looks like TheShark has become a board villain.

My intent was never anything. I thought I was having a typical argument about baseball on a baseball message board. If anyone wants to go back and read the exchange, let it be known that this was just ultimately a baseball argument. I never attacked the guy personally and he never attacked me personally. If I had known that it had offended him like it was going to, mark my words, I would have stopped the bickering immediately. I truly never thought anything of it. Like he said himself about trying to avoid confrontation, I have been posting here 7 or so years and always did the same. Yeah, it was a stupid argument but the same can be said for just about anything posted on the internet. There has been much worse on the board but people ultimately know what they're getting into and move on. Once again, had I known he was taking this so personally and found it "offensive" I would have gladly told him sooner than later that I valued him as a board member and there was absolutely nothing personal about what I was saying. I figured he already know that.

My last post there about telling him I liked him wasn't even in response to his last post there about quitting. As you can see from the times they were posted, he actually posted that last message after I was already writing mine and getting ready to post it. I was letting him know that I liked him because I honestly did. I could send him a PM but I don't know that it would ultimately accomplish anything.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits