Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:56 pm 

Hmmm ... had not checked on Mercer for quite some time, but watching the Barmes-and-Old-McDonald failure-a-thon prompted me to click on the MiLB site.

And guess what? Jordy Mercer is hitting .330/.398/.440, with 10 R's, 15 RBI's, 11 BB's and 3 SB's.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... pid=474568

How is he not an upgrade over Barmes or Old McDonald? I don't have the time to run minors-to-majors conversions, and rely on projections from fantasy sites which generally use these conversion tables.

Steamer indicates that with 130 plate appearances, or 1/4 of a season, Mercer projects to 7 2B's, 1 3B, 2 HR's, 10 RBI's, 11 R's, 2 SB's, .248/.299/.366, and a WAR of 0.2. WAR increases significantly with playing time. Further, the projections indicate that Mercer has a positive defensive WAR, as he did in 2012.

So if the guy produced 8 HR's, 40 RBI's, an OPS in the area of .680, 10 SB's, a positive fielding WAR, and a total WAR of 1.0 to 1.5, why is he not playing SS for the Pirates?

Post subject: Re: Jordy Mercer re-visited
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:06 pm 

Cause Clint Hurdle is the manager who potentially cost us 2 to 3 games so far.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:35 pm 

Because Hurdle has a mancrush on Barmes.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

As well as the club is playing right now it's this crap that drives me crazy about the entire organization. I can't think of one on the field reason why he shouldn't be the regular SS two weeks ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:40 pm 

Fact: Jordy Mercer should be the starting shortstop for the Pittsburgh pirates.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:02 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Fact: Jordy Mercer should be the starting shortstop for the Pittsburgh pirates.

In a true/false test, I go with "true."

For Jeopardy purposes, I posit that the question is, "What is a truism regarding the Pittsburgh Pirates, 2013 edition?"

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:12 pm 

I am baffled by it all. Huntington stated he didn't have much faith in his range. Well when your SS's are hitting a combined buck fifty and have made some key errors, I wouldn't be so picky.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:46 pm 

Barmes doesn't have the range he used to. If its a deep toss its a bloopers that doesn't make it to the bag most of the time. Results in tough picks for first baseman. McDonald probably has a stronger arm. Neither hit.

If that Huntington statement is true then why does the organization play him at short in Indy?

Tired of the love for our current shortstops. I understand the team is playing well given the tough schedule but as a fan I'd love to see a more balanced player at the position.

Bell is the hitting coach but he'd have time to work with Mercer to make him even better.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:05 am 

buccosfan77 wrote:

Bell is the hitting coach....

Forget coaching Mercer. The production couldn't drop off much and might actually improve if you sent Bell out there to do it himself.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:22 am 

NH had always promised that the Pirates would be a team that goes with young internal guys instead of washed up veterans. He has failed on that promise, no way should John Mcdonald be on the team instead of Mercer.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:45 am 
 WWW  Profile

Last year, Barmes at least looked like a guy who could hit the ball hard when he made solid contact. This year, he doesn't.

And McDonald, I believe, crushed one against the Phils. Like he got a high fastball, turned on it and belted it. And it went like 280 feet.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:35 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I am baffled by it all. Huntington stated he didn't have much faith in his range. Well when your SS's are hitting a combined buck fifty and have made some key errors, I wouldn't be so picky.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

This is the whole issue, but with Barmes and Johnny Mac hitting so terribly they are now costing us more runs than the gloves are preventing. Its simple math and guys like Dan Fox in the front office should place a call to NH and make it clear that Mercer should get his chance. At this point it just looks like stubbornness.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:13 am 

RTJR wrote:

And he doesn't like playing rookies.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:21 am 

Willton wrote:
RTJR wrote:

And he doesn't like playing rookies.

He seems to like playing Marte just fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:24 am 

Mercer is not a rookie anymore. HE must have pissed someone off at some point in time..... :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:37 am 

Hurdle clearly has some kind of bias towards Barmes. There's no way that guy should be playing every day. I'm one who doesn't mind the idea of a defensive SS who can't hit, as long as we have good enough pop elsewhere. But the problem is, I don't even feel Barmes is THAT good defensively. If you're going to have a "defensive SS", then he should be really good defensively, in my opinion. Not just kind of good or passable. If it's like that, then you might as well give a guy like Mercer, who has more potential with the bat, the opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:50 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
Hurdle clearly has some kind of bias towards Barmes. There's no way that guy should be playing every day. I'm one who doesn't mind the idea of a defensive SS who can't hit, as long as we have good enough pop elsewhere. But the problem is, I don't even feel Barmes is THAT good defensively. If you're going to have a "defensive SS", then he should be really good defensively, in my opinion. Not just kind of good or passable. If it's like that, then you might as well give a guy like Mercer, who has more potential with the bat, the opportunity.

When I think of defensive shortstops that can't hit, the first two I think of are Mark Belanger and Rafael Belliard. Their lifetime batting averages are .228 and .221, respectively. Barmes will never sniff .220 again. He's done. Whatever he is gaining for us defensively he is giving away by giving the opposition 2 automatic outs in a row in our order. That's huge. I'm not saying Mercer is the long term answer, but he needs to be playing now over the other two.

I've said it before, we need to be looking for a lead off hitting shortstop with a minimal amount of service time, and pay the piper.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:00 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
I've said it before, we need to be looking for a lead off hitting shortstop with a minimal amount of service time, and pay the piper.

Queue the 'Miguel !@#$%^& Sano!!1' remarks...

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:52 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

When I think of defensive shortstops that can't hit, the first two I think of are Mark Belanger and Rafael Belliard. Their lifetime batting averages are .228 and .221, respectively. Barmes will never sniff .220 again. He's done. Whatever he is gaining for us defensively he is giving away by giving the opposition 2 automatic outs in a row in our order. That's huge. I'm not saying Mercer is the long term answer, but he needs to be playing now over the other two.

Come on now. Even Barmes can't make two outs in one at bat. You phrased that like its Barmes' fault the pitcher can't hit.

No sense arguing amongst ourselves, because we are all in agreement. Barmes has had his chance and failed. Next!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Queue the 'Miguel !@#$%^& Sano!!1' remarks...

Well Sano is not a SS and he is certainly not a lead-off type hitter :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next