Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mets-Mariners-Indians Trade
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:04 am 

In the deal that was announced late Tuesday night, the Mets receive Putz, middle reliever Sean Green and outfielder Jeremy Reed, all from Seattle. The Indians get reliever Joe Smith from the Mets and second baseman Luis Valbuena from the M's.

Seattle gets six players from the Mets: reliever Aaron Heilman, outfielder Endy Chavez and minor leaguers Maikel Cleto, Ezequiel Carrera, Jason Vargas and Mike Carp. The M's also get outfielder Franklyn Gutierrez from Cleveland.

Wow! I am not sure who got the best of this trade because I have not heard of a lot of the players.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_s ... tz-to-mets

Post subject: Re: Mets-Mariners-Indians Trade
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:08 am 

If Putz can stay healthy, the Mutts have just turned their games into 7 inning contests. A tremendous move.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:59 am 

Heilman is going to be turned into a starter. He could be the best player involved in this deal. He reminds me of Derek Lowe at his best, with a 93 mph sinker and filthy breaking ball.

I would not be surprised to see Heilman pitch 200 innings, win 15 games and fan 175 batters.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 am 

Mariners got quite a haul here. Adding Endy Chavez to their outfield makes me wonder if Ichiro's days in Seattle are numbered.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 am 

Finally somebody other than the Bucs receives a "Putz" is a trade...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:03 am 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Mariners got quite a haul here. Adding Endy Chavez to their outfield makes me wonder if Ichiro's days in Seattle are numbered.

Well, one way or another they are. People forget that Ichiro isn't a kid anymore. His freaky physical gifts make people overlook the fact that he's on the downside of his 30s. His next contract will probably be his last one. But with that being said, Seattle needs help everywhere. They were right there with Pittsburgh for the worst team in the majors last season and they didn't have the pieces to move in trades that Pittsburgh does. JJ Putz was the big veteran trade piece that they felt comfortable moving. Besides, Chavez is probably an upgrade for Wladimir Balentien

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:20 am 

This is a great example of a team realizing there is no reason to hold on to a good closer if you have a losing team. A losing team can find somebody competent enough to be a closer for them when they need it. Then you flip your good closer for a lot of potential. Good move. It's something the Pirates should consider with Capps. However he would not bring as much as Putz, and is also younger which makes him more worthwhile holding on to. But it is something to consider if the right deal came about....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:39 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
This is a great example of a team realizing there is no reason to hold on to a good closer if you have a losing team. A losing team can find somebody competent enough to be a closer for them when they need it. Then you flip your good closer for a lot of potential. Good move. It's something the Pirates should consider with Capps. However he would not bring as much as Putz, and is also younger which makes him more worthwhile holding on to. But it is something to consider if the right deal came about....

Agreed. Capps is probably our last valuable trading chip.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:11 pm 

Do the Pirates play Seattle in 2009? If not that trade helped the Pirates the most...

Endy Chavez is a big time Pirate killer....He's like Ruth, Williams, and Aaron combined

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:44 am 

I'm wondering why my man Ollie hasn't re-signed with the Mets. What does their starting rotation look like without Perez? Santana, Maine, Pelfrey.. who else?

The Indians couldn't find a competent closer last season. I say we hold onto Capps.