Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liriano dominating in AAA start
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:36 pm 

Four shut out innings thus far- no walks, 7 strikeouts, 2 hits. Doesn't exactly look like a great lineup he's facing, but still. Looks like he's pretty close! Buh-bye, Jonathan!

Post subject: Re: Liriano dominating in AAA start
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:41 pm 

If the Pirates don't bring him to the majors and dump Sanchez ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:46 pm 

Pretty efficient through 5. Only 69 pitches, 50 of them strikes! That has been his issue- control. Looks like he's throwing it pretty well right now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:05 pm 

Heard a Bucs' announcer (I think that it was Greg Brown) comment yesterday that the Pirates want Liriano to have an outing where he throws 100 pitches before they bring him up. I also thought that someone indicated that Liriano is in line to start a game on May 10th. Based upon the lineup below, the Bucs will first "need" a 5th starter on Sunday 5/12. After tomorrow, I'm thinking that we won't see Gomez start another game for the Pirates and that Liriano will be inserted into the rotation during the 5/9-5/12 four game series in New York against the Mets. If he is pitching today, he can have one more rehab outing on 5/5 and he should be set to go as early as 5/10.

I'm also thinking that Sanchez will be cut on the earliest date possible. Assuming that the Pirates can't cut him during a suspension, let's hope that the suspension is reduced so that they can cut him as soon as possible. His hearing is Friday so . . . even if it is upheld . . . his 6 game suspension will be over by the weekend of the Mets series and he won't be travelling with the team to NY.

5/1 - Gomez
5/2 - off day
5/3 (Fri) - Burnett (5 days rest)
5/4 (Sat) - Locke (5 days rest)
5/5 (Sun) - Rodriguez (5 days rest)
5/6 (Mon) - off day
5/7 (Tue) - McDonald (6 days rest)
5/8 (Wed) - Burnett (4 days rest)
5/9 (Thurs) - Locke (4 days rest)
5/10 (Fri) - Rodriguez (4 days rest)
5/11 (Sat) - McDonald (4 days rest)
5/12 (Sun) - 5th starter needed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:25 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Heard a Bucs' announcer (I think that it was Greg Brown) comment yesterday that the Pirates want Liriano to have an outing where he throws 100 pitches before they bring him up. I also thought that someone indicated that Liriano is in line to start a game on May 10th. Based upon the lineup below, the Bucs will first "need" a 5th starter on Sunday 5/12. After tomorrow, I'm thinking that we won't see Gomez start another game for the Pirates and that Liriano will be inserted into the rotation during the 5/9-5/12 four game series in New York against the Mets. If he is pitching today, he can have one more rehab outing on 5/5 and he should be set to go as early as 5/10.

I'm also thinking that Sanchez will be cut on the earliest date possible. Assuming that the Pirates can't cut him during a suspension, let's hope that the suspension is reduced so that they can cut him as soon as possible. His hearing is Friday so . . . even if it is upheld . . . his 6 game suspension will be over by the weekend of the Mets series and he won't be travelling with the team to NY.

5/1 - Gomez
5/2 - off day
5/3 (Fri) - Burnett (5 days rest)
5/4 (Sat) - Locke (5 days rest)
5/5 (Sun) - Rodriguez (5 days rest)
5/6 (Mon) - off day
5/7 (Tue) - McDonald (6 days rest)
5/8 (Wed) - Burnett (4 days rest)
5/9 (Thurs) - Locke (4 days rest)
5/10 (Fri) - Rodriguez (4 days rest)
5/11 (Sat) - McDonald (4 days rest)
5/12 (Sun) - 5th starter needed

McDonald won't start on short rest on 5/11 that would be the day for Liriano. Incidentally, Morton is only 3 days behind him.

Also, the thing about the suspension is not accurate, the Indians dropped Carrasco to AAA immediately and he's facing a 8 game suspension, the suspensions just stay pending at the MLB level. I can't find a clear answer, but such a rule would be pretty ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:35 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
McDonald won't start on short rest on 5/11 that would be the day for Liriano. Incidentally, Morton is only 3 days behind him.

Also, the thing about the suspension is not accurate, the Indians dropped Carrasco to AAA immediately and he's facing a 8 game suspension, the suspensions just stay pending at the MLB level. I can't find a clear answer, but such a rule would be pretty ridiculous.

You're right. My math was off. MickieD's next "scheduled" start would be Sunday the 12th. The Bucs will need a 5th starter other than Gomez/Sanchez on 5/11.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

You're right. My math was off. MickieD's next "scheduled" start would be Sunday the 12th. The Bucs will need a 5th starter other than Gomez/Sanchez on 5/11.

Saw your other post on the rules, I have to say I'm still unclear on this circumstance.