Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 2792
2 HRs for Stetson Allie tonight, making it 8 on the season as it is just April 29th ... hitting .351.

Also in WV, Josh Bell went 2-4 with a pair of doubles.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10202
If Stetson Allie faced Jonathan Sanchez, how many HR's would he hit? 1000?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6022
Sweet!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1817
This is good news. Even if he's not a pitcher, it's nice that an early round pick might work out after all.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 4869
Bucfan wrote:
If Stetson Allie faced Jonathan Sanchez, how many HR's would he hit? 1000?


:lol:

The universe would explode. :lol:

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4431
Location: Washington, DC
The 33:11 K:BB ratio is less inspiring than the average and power, but it's looking like he has a chance as a hitting prospect.

Quick question: With his arm, why aren't the Pirates trying him out in right field? If he can learn to, you know, catch the ball, that rocket arm would be helpful out there.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3187
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
J_C_Steel wrote:
Quick question: With his arm, why aren't the Pirates trying him out in right field? If he can learn to, you know, catch the ball, that rocket arm would be helpful out there.


Good point, although I thought he was playing an outfield position. What position is he playing???

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 1624
I've been to a couple of the powers games and he played first base. I believe they've tried him at third as well but that I'm not positive of.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1875
Location: Naples, FL
J_C_Steel wrote:
The 33:11 K:BB ratio is less inspiring than the average and power, but it's looking like he has a chance as a hitting prospect.

Quick question: With his arm, why aren't the Pirates trying him out in right field? If he can learn to, you know, catch the ball, that rocket arm would be helpful out there.



GFJ can teach him the subtle nuances!

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:18 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:30 pm
Posts: 110
Location: South Carolina
Allies was DH on Friday and Monday. Not sure about the other two days.

I did not attend last night's game as planned as the weather was threatening. But I can you that Grayson Stadium is not easy to hit homeruns out of. It's at sea level and the fence from left center around to right is pretty high.

_________________
Bible Broadcasting Network
[url]bbnradio.org[/url]

Let this be the year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1875
Location: Naples, FL
donburgh wrote:
Allies was DH on Friday and Monday. Not sure about the other two days.

I did not attend last night's game as planned as the weather was threatening. But I can you that Grayson Stadium is not easy to hit homeruns out of. It's at sea level and the fence from left center around to right is pretty high.



http://metsmerizedonline.com/2013/04/me ... ctors.html

That article says that is not just difficult, but indeed the toughest stadium in the minor leagues in which to go yard. Interesting.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Bucfan wrote:
If Stetson Allie faced Jonathan Sanchez, how many HR's would he hit? 1000?

That's too kind to Sanchez. It presumes that Sanchez could thrown 1000 pitches in the strike zone.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
J_C_Steel wrote:
Quick question: With his arm, why aren't the Pirates trying him out in right field? If he can learn to, you know, catch the ball, that rocket arm would be helpful out there.

You don't think a strong arm is helpful at 3B? Plus, we have no idea how fleet of foot Allie is. Perhaps a lack of mobility makes him more suited for an infield corner than an outfield one.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
TheShark wrote:
2 HRs for Stetson Allie tonight, making it 8 on the season as it is just April 29th ... hitting .351.

Also in WV, Josh Bell went 2-4 with a pair of doubles.




... and 3K's for Allie, he is not a prospect when he is K'ing 30% as a 22 year old first baseman in A ball. Curb your enthusiasm.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10202
This article includes a clip, showing the second HR. Amazing blast to center, just a tad towards right-center, off a ball down and in. The CF fence reads 420', so the ball traveled at least 430'.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ym ... b&sid=milb


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 2792
Barrys Dopers wrote:
... and 3K's for Allie, he is not a prospect when he is K'ing 30% as a 22 year old first baseman in A ball. Curb your enthusiasm.


Well, I don't really think anyone (myself included) considers him a prospect in the traditional sense. I barely even considered him one as a pitcher because he was such a high risk type of gamble that I thought the best case scenario turnout was a flamethrowing reliever, and I had a hard time putting much stock into such as a legitimate prospect. But Allie doesn't really fit the bill of an organization depth type piece either, more of just an interesting "experiment", really.

As far as your dismissal of him due to his high K rate, I think there's a grace period in place. Regardless of age or what level he's playing it, first and foremost he's a recently converted pitcher learning to be a pro hitter in his first full season. As far as how he was profiled as a third to fourth round hitting talent in the draft, I don't think that's insignificant but I also don't know if there's much to really make up of it. The K rate I would assume is about what was anticipated at this point in his career, but I would assume that the legitimate power numbers (regardless of how much they are of a product of the A ball tier) were not. I know that he was said to have some of the best raw power in the system when he was converted, but obviously I agree with you, it's going to be a long uphill battle. I am at least curious to watch it though.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
... and 3K's for Allie, he is not a prospect when he is K'ing 30% as a 22 year old first baseman in A ball. Curb your enthusiasm.


Well, I don't really think anyone (myself included) considers him a prospect in the traditional sense. I barely even considered him one as a pitcher because he was such a high risk type of gamble that I thought the best case scenario turnout was a flamethrowing reliever, and I had a hard time putting much stock into such as a legitimate prospect. But Allie doesn't really fit the bill of an organization depth type piece either, more of just an interesting "experiment", really.

As far as your dismissal of him due to his high K rate, I think there's a grace period in place. Regardless of age or what level he's playing it, first and foremost he's a recently converted pitcher learning to be a pro hitter in his first full season. As far as how he was profiled as a third to fourth round hitting talent in the draft, I don't think that's insignificant but I also don't know if there's much to really make up of it. The K rate I would assume is about what was anticipated at this point in his career, but I would assume that the legitimate power numbers (regardless of how much they are of a product of the A ball tier) were not. I know that he was said to have some of the best raw power in the system when he was converted, but obviously I agree with you, it's going to be a long uphill battle. I am at least curious to watch it though.


I'm all for him doing well, but what one calls a grace period another can call it lost development time that he will not be able to recover. I still maintain that if you can throw 100mph you should be on the mound not K'ing in A ball. Get him back on the hill as a closer prospect, which is what he wanted to do all the way back on draft day. Otherwise he will be a fun experiment but no real use. PP had a picture of him the other day, he is huge (as in fat) right now, there is no way he's playing 3B or RF.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:46 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 4869
Barrys Dopers wrote:
TheShark wrote:
2 HRs for Stetson Allie tonight, making it 8 on the season as it is just April 29th ... hitting .351.

Also in WV, Josh Bell went 2-4 with a pair of doubles.


... and 3K's for Allie, he is not a prospect when he is K'ing 30% as a 22 year old first baseman in A ball. Curb your enthusiasm.


If Allie could have flashes of Ankiel it'd be good enough, be it for the Buccos or as trade bait.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
How topical - Mike Newman is much more optimistic than I am -

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/stetson- ... et-button/

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Allie with 2 more HRs
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Barrys Dopers wrote:
How topical - Mike Newman is much more optimistic than I am -

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/stetson- ... et-button/


I asked Mike today about Kyle Stark -


"Comment From John
Curious about your opinion of Kyle (HokaHey) Stark. Is he more competent than the local press would have us believe?
1:01

MN - I spoke with him for 40-minutes and came away impressed. Their system and team is as strong as it has been in many years. I don't understand what the griping is about."


Its so important to get outside opinion when writing about things close to your heart.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits