Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DK on the Russell Martin signing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:04 am 

Funny, but his blog post on the day of the signing has disappeared, so I must rely on others quoting his comment about Huntington's signing of Russell Martin:

Russell Martin’s deal could easily turn out to be similar to Matt Morris‘. “It’s far clearer now than it was with Littlefield in 2007 that they’re in huge trouble, hanging by a thread. And right along with it comes a monster deal — by Pittsburgh standards — for a light-hitting catcher on the decline… But let’s not pretend this transaction was anything other than what it was: A desperation move.”

Juuuuust a bit outside.

Post subject: Re: DK on the Russell Martin signing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:59 am 

Russell Martin is the first "athletic" and solid MLB catcher for the Pirates since probably Jason Kendall...IMO...

Glad he's a Bucco!

PS: He is the "type" of catcher the Pirates should always strive to have in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:01 am 

Quote:
Juuuuust a bit outside.

lol.

What an absurd criticism. "light hitting catcher on the decline", ummm since when? He didn't look like he was on the decline in NY, or like he was a "light hitter". Even if Martin doesn't end up working out, I see no parallels whatsoever to the Matt Morris trade. What about Russell Martin makes him on his last legs?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

Ok, as a hitter he has declined every season since 2007. His average has plummeted from .293 and (hopefully) bottomed out at .211 last season. Let's not act like this was a no-brainer. I was skeptical and so were a lot of people. I am extremely happy with his production so far and hope he can keep this up. Go Buccos!

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:44 am 

I don't think he was brought in to hit for average. He was brought in for defense and some power at a position we haven't had at it since the oft-injured Doumit. So far he is delivering.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 am 
 WWW  Profile

I liked the Martin signing and I think I remember most people here also liking it. I wasn't around for Morris but remember that being pure desperation for a half season of an expensive name-guy that was done. I think someone pointed me to some thinking here that maybe Morris was a decent add, but that's not what I remembered.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:02 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Ok, as a hitter he has declined every season since 2007. His average has plummeted from .293 and (hopefully) bottomed out at .211 last season. Let's not act like this was a no-brainer.

Take a look at what the FA market for catchers typically looks like every off-season. For a lot of teams, targeting a player like Martin would indeed be a "no-brainer" (especially on a two-year deal like it is), in fact, the Rangers were in hot pursuit of him the same time that the Pirates were, and the Yankees were obviously going back and fourth on the idea of resigning him. They upgraded from a -0.4 WAR player in Bajaras behind the plate to the 2.8 and 2.0 provided by Martin the last two years. Obviously, his major asset is defense and we all know about his excellent pitch framing abilities, and his power has stayed consistent.

I don't read DK but from I remember hearing, he compared it to the Matt Morris signing and most of his critique was focused entirely on Martin's BA. Both of those sentiments are laughable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:21 am 

Morris and Martin are not anywhere close to the same situation.

We acquired Morris in a trade, taking on his entire salary, when everyone in the world except Littlefield knew that Morris was finished, and that SF would gladly pay a big chunk of his salary to get rid of him. This ranks as one of the worst moves any GM has ever made, and we knew that when he made it.

Martin was a free agent that was highly vauled by other teams. NH targeted him as being the best available fit for the hole we had to fill, and he went out and got him. It looked like a very good move at the time, and looks even better today.

DK thinks that Nutting has some line in the sand where we have to make the playoffs or Huntington is going to be fired. I don't know where he came up with that but I don't believe it for a minute.

However I do think we need to break .500 this year to validate this regime and its approach.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 am 

I wonder how much of Martin's poor batting average was part of him trying to be a home run hitter playing in hitter friendly Yankee Stadium?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 pm 
 WWW  Profile

nad69dan wrote:
I wonder how much of Martin's poor batting average was part of him trying to be a home run hitter playing in hitter friendly Yankee Stadium?

He didn't have protection in the Yankees lineup. He's been lucky enough to have Barmes behind him most of this season and that's enough to strike the fear of God in the opposing pitcher.

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:15 pm 

He has become a parody of the stereotypical sports fan. He whines about the Pirates so much the Bucs should send him a wheel of Gruyere. I am glad I am not as outwardly unhappy as he seems to be. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:20 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
He didn't have protection in the Yankees lineup. He's been lucky enough to have Barmes behind him most of this season and that's enough to strike the fear of God in the opposing pitcher.

DK gets paid money to discuss Pittsburgh sports teams, among them, the Pirates.

Batting average is not a good indicator of a player's offensive contribution. It is an arcane and discredited statistic. The proper statistics are OBP and slugging. DK did not bother to research the fact that Martin's career-low BA was attributable to an extremely low BABIP of .222.

Further, he failed to report that among catchers in 2012, even with the low BABIP (and resultant lessening of his offensive contributions), his WAR of 2.0 ranked 11th. He was the 11th best catcher in baseball in terms of WAR (combining offense and defense), even with the ridiculously low BABIP.

That data show that Martin's BA is very, very likely to climb, probably by a good 40 or 50 points, moving his OBP from .311 to something around his career average of .352.

Further, DK failed to do the research to point out that Martin had an 11% walk rate in 2012, which was right around his career average. Or that his 19.4% line drive percentage was exactly at his career rate. Or that his groundball to flyball rate did not spike, and therefore would NOT explain the very low BABIP.

I am a lawyer in Los Angeles, and found this information pretty quickly. The comment, "He is in decline because his BA has declined," was fundamentally wrong and just plain lazy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 pm 

Exactly. DK cherry picked a stat that supported his negative view, rather than truly evaluating the player and the signing.

Smizik does something similar all the time. He uses stats from a very small sample size to support his opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:55 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Exactly. DK cherry picked a stat that supported his negative view, rather than truly evaluating the player and the signing.

Smizik does something similar all the time. He uses stats from a very small sample size to support his opinions.

BTW Smizik was giving NH a pat on the back this morning, his readers were livid, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:22 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
BTW Smizik was giving NH a pat on the back this morning, his readers were livid, lol.

That's a great example of the "fan" who would rather be right about the Pirates failing than to actually watch the team succeed.

Who the hell can call himself or herself a fan and wish for failure so that he or she can proclaim, "See, I told you so"?

I believed Jonathan Sanchez would fail. His struggles the past 2 years, his lousy spring, etc. were the reasons.

But I sure as heck rooted for him to prove me wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
But I sure as heck rooted for him to prove me wrong.

Me too but there sure doesn't look like there is anything left in the tank. :( :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:07 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
That's a great example of the "fan" who would rather be right about the Pirates failing than to actually watch the team succeed. Who the hell can call himself or herself a fan and wish for failure so that he or she can proclaim, "See, I told you so"?

Unfortunately, there are many of those types of fans who post on this message board. Fortunately, they rarely post when we win, so we haven't heard as much whining lately.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:51 pm 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
That's a great example of the "fan" who would rather be right about the Pirates failing than to actually watch the team succeed. Who the hell can call himself or herself a fan and wish for failure so that he or she can proclaim, "See, I told you so"?

Unfortunately, there are many of those types of fans who post on this message board. Fortunately, they rarely post when we win, so we haven't heard as much whining lately.

Yes, it is an annoyance. It's easy to become guilty of such an offense when someone is a fan of a team like the Pirates.

But as the Python troupe said...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 pm 

Great scene. As close to a musical as I can get.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:27 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Ok, as a hitter he has declined every season since 2007. His average has plummeted from .293 and (hopefully) bottomed out at .211 last season. Let's not act like this was a no-brainer. I was skeptical and so were a lot of people. I am extremely happy with his production so far and hope he can keep this up. Go Buccos!

Skeptical, well, okay. No problem with that. Dejan went trucking right on past skeptical. Calling it a desperation move was ridiculous enough, but comparing it to the Morris trade, well, c'mon. Try to have some basis in reality.