Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marlins, Pirates Talk SS Prospect
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:49 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08345/934137-100.stm

Quote:
The Pirates and Florida are discussing a deal that would bring shortstop prospect Robert Andino to Pittsburgh. It is not known who might go the other way, but the Marlins long have liked catcher Ronny Paulino, who is on the block.

Andino, 24, batted .206, two home runs, nine RBIs in 44 games for the Marlins last season.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Marlins, Pirates Talk SS Prospect
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:59 pm 

Andino cant hit and cant field. Even if the price is just Paulino, thered just be no point to this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:59 pm 

Pirates can't expect to get much more than that for Paulino so make the deal and move on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:06 pm 

Andino has some pretty good numbers in the minors. Only draw back is that they were in Albuquerque and the thin air that is there. I have a good friend who is a season ticket holder for the 'Topes. Will have to give him a call and report back. Well maybe. I am about to kiss this board goodbye.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:12 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Andino has some pretty good numbers in the minors. Only draw back is that they were in Albuquerque and the thin air that is there. I have a good friend who is a season ticket holder for the 'Topes. Will have to give him a call and report back. Well maybe. I am about to kiss this board goodbye.

Why are you kissing this board goodbye? Did I miss something?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:54 pm 

Since you asked, Elmer is accusing me of being a bigot because of my apparent weak attempt at humor in regards to the signing of the reality winners from India. Of course I guess that means that Colbert and Stewart are in the same category as myself. I could work anywhere but chose to teach at a middle school that is 5% Anglo and 95% minority with 80% of the students receiving free or reduced lunch. Somehow, although I could be wrong, it seems it would be the wrong place of employment for a bigot. I have been called a lot of things (just don't call me late for dinner) but never a racist or a bigot. Anyone who has been on this board for a long time has seen the loss of just about all the longtime members. The only ones left are myself, Bucfan, the Parrot, ZM and Brad F. If I missed an;yone, I apologise. I wonder why the longtimers have left? It seems tooooo easy for posters to spout off behind a pseudonym without any accountability. The pages and pages of argumentation over silly topics illustrates this.

Again, if I offended anyone over the reality twins, my sincerest apologies. It WAS an attempt at humor in an instance of frustration. I try to use humor as much as possible to deal with such. I may check in but I doubt if I will post anything. Not worth the time

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:55 pm 
Piratefan13 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Is this to suggest they would trade the Andino kid for Paulino straight up??? If so, they should jump now. That would be a steal for the Pirates.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:56 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Probably because of the huge amounts of personal attacks on people lately being called fair-weathered, strawmen, douche bags, etc....I know it is getting to the point of irritating myself too...

I just know I will have the last laugh...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:03 pm 
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Since you asked, Elmer is accusing me of being a bigot because of my apparent weak attempt at humor in regards to the signing of the reality winners from India. Of course I guess that means that Colbert and Stewart are in the same category as myself. I could work anywhere but chose to teach at a middle school that is 5% Anglo and 95% minority with 80% of the students receiving free or reduced lunch. Somehow, although I could be wrong, it seems it would be the wrong place of employment for a bigot. I have been called a lot of things (just don't call me late for dinner) but never a racist or a bigot. Anyone who has been on this board for a long time has seen the loss of just about all the longtime members. The only ones left are myself, Bucfan, the Parrot, ZM and Brad F. If I missed an;yone, I apologise. I wonder why the longtimers have left? It seems tooooo easy for posters to spout off behind a pseudonym without any accountability. The pages and pages of argumentation over silly topics illustrates this.

Again, if I offended anyone over the reality twins, my sincerest apologies. It WAS an attempt at humor in an instance of frustration. I try to use humor as much as possible to deal with such. I may check in but I doubt if I will post anything. Not worth the time

I commend you for working in such a school. And your honest apology is just as commendable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:11 pm 

First of all, I don't think Paulino is worth much, but I do not think Andino is worth obtaining. He never hit at all in the minors until he repeated AAA. Granted, he was young for almost every level, so that may play a role. However, even when he did hit, his home-road splits were atrocious (OPS>1.000 in Albuquerque, 0.500 on the road). Given that Albuquerque is the most hitter friendly ballpark in baseball, I am not sure this kid is any better than Bixler. Additionally, he seems to have a pretty high error rate, that did not decrease as he moved up through the minors (meaning as he played on better and better field conditions).

Quite frankly, I'd rather NH acquire another power-arm-with-no-control type fringe prospect that he seems to have a fetish for if this is the best SS prospect we could hope to obtain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:25 pm 

I'm not too impressed with his numbers either...

Though I dont know about Paulino though, he has hurt his trade potential with his lack of hustle and decline at the plate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:29 pm 

Meh...Paulino isn't out of options, is he? Let him hit .330 for a while at Indy. There is a league-wide lack of depth at catcher. He can rebuild value very very quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:08 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Anyone who has been on this board for a long time has seen the loss of just about all the longtime members. The only ones left are myself, Bucfan, the Parrot, ZM and Brad F. If I missed an;yone, I apologise. I wonder why the longtimers have left? It seems tooooo easy for posters to spout off behind a pseudonym without any accountability. The pages and pages of argumentation over silly topics illustrates this.

I may check in but I doubt if I will post anything. Not worth the time

As one of those to whom you may be referring, AZ, I lost my enthusiasm when reasoned debate gave way to ad hominem attack. And I speak not just of my own posts; I mean in terms of the board generally.

We didn't used to treat each other that way. But such is life, it seems.

Best wishes to you for Christmas and the new year.