Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
Ben Badler said this in his weekly minor league prospect chat today:

Ace (PA): Gregory Polanco is seriously exciting. The defense, arm, plate discipline, bat, and frame all seem to be there. If the power comes what kind of upside does he have?

Ben Badler: You said it—there isn't much Polanco can't do. He's a potential franchise player who just gets better every year. The Pirates have taken a lot of unnecessary shots for their player development in the last year or so, but look at the results—it's working, players like Polanco and Hanson are getting better, and their farm system is one of the best in the game.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1366995901


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Bucfan wrote:
Ben Badler said this in his weekly minor league prospect chat today:

Ace (PA): Gregory Polanco is seriously exciting. The defense, arm, plate discipline, bat, and frame all seem to be there. If the power comes what kind of upside does he have?

Ben Badler: You said it—there isn't much Polanco can't do. He's a potential franchise player who just gets better every year. The Pirates have taken a lot of unnecessary shots for their player development in the last year or so, but look at the results—it's working, players like Polanco and Hanson are getting better, and their farm system is one of the best in the game.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1366995901


Oh please someone tweet that to DK, lol.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm
Posts: 413
Location: Morgantown, WV, via Charleston, WV
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Oh please someone tweet that to DK, lol.


A couple of people on THIS board need to read that, too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Oh please someone tweet that to DK, lol.


A couple of people on THIS board need to read that, too.


No, Ryann only posts when we are losing, so he'll never see it this week. :roll:

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:34 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:28 pm
Posts: 1363
Quote:
No, Ryann only posts when we are losing, so he'll never see it this week. :roll:


This board REALLY needs a "like button". :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1600
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Oh please someone tweet that to DK, lol.


A couple of people on THIS board need to read that, too.


No, Ryann only posts when we are losing, so he'll never see it this week. :roll:



^ This


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:58 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 am
Posts: 273
I could understand the Pirates system catching some flack, since we didn't see a number of those young pitchers pan out at all yet. And it seemed like our position player prospects weren't anything exciting. But then Allen Hansen/Gregory Polanco happened, and it's like new life. Polanco seems like the real deal too, might be more excited for him than Marte, even.

Lets not forget Josh Bell either, he seems to be getting it. Just needs the K/BB to come around.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 5012
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
I fall into the same group as DK. Until the prospects get to the Bigs I'll be skeptical. McCutchen is a star, the jury is out on Marte (although it sure looks good so far), Walker is average, and Alvarez is average to below-average. Until Cole, Taillon, Palanco, Hansen, and Bell prove successful I'll have my doubts. The days of me getting too excited over prospects is fading.

_________________
Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1462
Location: Eastern Shore
Better to think of them as suspects, not prospects, IA.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Oh please someone tweet that to DK, lol.


A couple of people on THIS board need to read that, too.


No, Ryann only posts when we are losing, so he'll never see it this week. :roll:


???

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7311
Ryann wrote:
???


Exactly!

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Ryann wrote:
???


You came back to post after last night's loss to criticize J. Sanchez. So this doesn't really help your cause.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:54 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
TheShark wrote:
Ryann wrote:
???


You came back to post after last night's loss to criticize J. Sanchez. So this doesn't really help your cause.

You look way too far into my posting tendencies. :lol:

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Nah, it's pretty simple. You were accused of only coming around to post negativity when the team isn't winning, and then you come back to post after a 9-1 loss but pretend like that wasn't the reason, hence the "???". But since you brought up your post tendencies, I went ahead and looked and to illustrate this point, your last post before today was 5 days ago (the last Pirates loss) when you bashed Alvarez during a game that he went 2-4 with a HR.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:52 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5705
Ryann wrote:
You look way too far into my posting tendencies. :lol:


Because they exist.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:57 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
TheShark wrote:
Nah, it's pretty simple. You were accused of only coming around to post negativity when the team isn't winning, and then you come back to post after a 9-1 loss but pretend like that wasn't the reason, hence the "???". But since you brought up your post tendencies, I went ahead and looked and to illustrate this point, your last post before today was 5 days ago (the last Pirates loss) when you bashed Alvarez during a game that he went 2-4 with a HR.

I didn't "bash" him if I remember correctly, I think I may have compared him to a worse Mark Reynolds...Anyway I still come to the site everyday. When I post is just a coincidence.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1600
Ryann wrote:
TheShark wrote:
Nah, it's pretty simple. You were accused of only coming around to post negativity when the team isn't winning, and then you come back to post after a 9-1 loss but pretend like that wasn't the reason, hence the "???". But since you brought up your post tendencies, I went ahead and looked and to illustrate this point, your last post before today was 5 days ago (the last Pirates loss) when you bashed Alvarez during a game that he went 2-4 with a HR.

I didn't "bash" him if I remember correctly, I think I may have compared him to a worse Mark Reynolds...Anyway I still come to the site everyday. When I post is just a coincidence.



Riiiight


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
Further tidbit about Polanco, from "Bucco Blog" in the Tribune Review:

- was talking to a scout last week about Gregory Polanco, the Pirates No. 4 rated prospect entering the season according to Baseball America. Polanco is shredding the pitcher-friendly Florida State League, batting .389 over his last 10 games.

He’s a 6-foot-4 left-handed hitter with all five tools, including the speed (9 steals) to perhaps stick in center field at the Major League level, though he’ll move to a corner so long as Andrew McCutchen is in center.

I asked the scout this: ‘Is he your Oscar Taveras (the Cardinals hitting star and top-rated bat in the minors)?’ Thinking, no one is Taveras.

Scout: “He has more power”

Me: Silence.

Scout: “He could be another Dave Parker”

Me: Silence.

Keep an eye on Polanco, he has some serious helium to his game right now.


http://blog.triblive.com/bucco-blog/201 ... mment-6645


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
IA Pirate wrote:
I fall into the same group as DK. Until the prospects get to the Bigs I'll be skeptical. McCutchen is a star, the jury is out on Marte (although it sure looks good so far), Walker is average, and Alvarez is average to below-average. Until Cole, Taillon, Palanco, Hansen, and Bell prove successful I'll have my doubts. The days of me getting too excited over prospects is fading.


Well IA if you discount all the players that have already been developed you'll always be skeptical. Its DK's favorite game, discount the successes and focus on the problems. "Cole, well my daughter could have picked him. McCutchen, he was inherited from DL. Marte, he was signed 3 months before NH. Alvarez was an obvious decision. Polanco nearly had his foot ripped off in paramilitary operations in Beirut"

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: BA comment regarding Polanco, Pirates' farm system
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 5012
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Well IA if you discount all the players that have already been developed you'll always be skeptical. Its DK's favorite game, discount the successes and focus on the problems. "Cole, well my daughter could have picked him. McCutchen, he was inherited from DL. Marte, he was signed 3 months before NH. Alvarez was an obvious decision. Polanco nearly had his foot ripped off in paramilitary operations in Beirut"


Cautiously optimistic would be a good phrase for my view of the farm system. I'm hoping like mad Cole and Co. will keep progressing and be an instant impact for the big club. It also wouldn't surprise me if he has a 5.20 ERA this summer. I guess this part of me is a casualty of 20 years of a poorly run organization.

_________________
Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits