Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who's Seeing 42 ?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:35 pm 

Anyone seen 42 yet?

Being a history major, the factual innacuracies bug the crap out of me in "historical" movies, usually because they are so easily fixed. I will probably wait a while to see this one, mostly because we are in the process of acquiring an African American foster child (she's already living with us) and I'm not ready to have a Jim Crow conversation with her. We'll probably wait until it comes out on netflix. Although that's actually the SOP for most movies these days....

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/92079 ... nversation

Quote:
I smiled, and told him I was happy the movie was made because we were having this conversation. There was so much more, and we would discover all of it together. I told my boy the game had broken a piece of Robinson, aged him, killed him prematurely. Baseball honors him today, but during his life it praised him while simultaneously refused to hire him after he was done playing, despite everything he had done for it and America.

He asked me why this part, the rest of the Robinson story, wasn't in the movie. An 8-year-old could handle these truths but a country apparently couldn't. It was a good question, and I smiled a different smile. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. In Hollywood, saints aren't allowed to have tears.

Post subject: Re: Who's Seeing 42 ?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:46 pm 

Most of the reviews by baseball enthusiasts suggest its a narrowly focused propaganda piece where the villians are unbelievably bad and the heroes are all too good. I have no interest if they are not willing to dig into the realities of the story and work from the grey rather than black and white or morality.

Here is Woodrum's review at fangraphs -

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/a-movie-review-of-42/

Hist 1st line summation - " This was the master’s clay in the dropout’s hands."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:52 pm 

What a stunningly awesome review.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:57 pm 

Saw it this afternoon... Harrison Ford NAILED the part of Branch Rickey!! He should get some serious Oscar consideration...
The movie itself was good, but not great...my biggest problem was missing a gigantic part of Jackie's journey...he hit a home run in Montreal and George "Shotgun" Shuba shook his hand when he crossed home plate...it was a huge deal because it had been the first time that a white man shook a black mans hand on the baseball diamond...Life magazine made a big deal out of it...being from Shotgun's hometown of Youngstown, OH I was a little dissapointed that it wasn't in the movie...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:03 pm 

I am going to try and see it soon. I also heard that Harrison Ford was unbelievable!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:44 pm 

House of Poe wrote:
Saw it this afternoon... Harrison Ford NAILED the part of Branch Rickey!! He should get some serious Oscar consideration...
The movie itself was good, but not great...my biggest problem was missing a gigantic part of Jackie's journey...he hit a home run in Montreal and George "Shotgun" Shuba shook his hand when he crossed home plate...it was a huge deal because it had been the first time that a white man shook a black mans hand on the baseball diamond...Life magazine made a big deal out of it...being from Shotgun's hometown of Youngstown, OH I was a little dissapointed that it wasn't in the movie...

You sure the part about the handshake wasn't in there?? I cant remember the specifics but there was a scene where Jackie hit a HR and got a congratulatory handshake from one of the guys.

I saw it and loved it...and you are right, Harrison Ford was phenomenal. Of course, I had never seen Branch Rickey, but from what I had seen and read, he was fantastic.

I really enjoyed the movie..thought the actors playing Jackie and his wife were really good....very believable. They were actually paired up as boyfriend and girlfriend in The Express (Which I also loved!).

I wonder how much was really factual... regarding the guys in his corner and against him. Did the catcher, whose name escapes me at the moment, really request a trade then change his mind? Who was the pitcher against him, and did he really get sent to Pittsburgh?

As a baseball fan, I really enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to any baseball fan, especially the hard -core ones and the older guys like me. I remember my dad loving Jackie Robinson, which was really interesting since he was a bit on the prejudice side. My wife, who is NOT a baseball fan, enjoyed to movie too...(but now I have to go see a chick flick next!)