Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The 'what I like about this team' thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:28 pm 

As in past years, the Bullpen looks solid early.

AJ-Wandy 1-2.

Gaby.

Post subject: Re: The 'what I like about this team' thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:49 pm 

This team is playing good solid baseball right now, with some areas of concern.

If this Pirate team is playing good solid baseball in August and September and is in the playoff hunt and above .500, I'll be really happy.

I'm happy for their current success and I hope it will continue.

Go Bucs!

PS: I agree with NSMasters 56 about the bullpen and I like how Hurdle is using all of the players. I like Martin as our catcher, and I like the Bench depending on who is in the starting line up. The versatility of the players on this club is a big plus. I also really like Marte!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
This team is playing good solid baseball right now, with some areas of concern.

If this Pirate team is playing good solid baseball in August and September and is in the playoff hunt and above .500, I'll be really happy.

I'm happy for their current success and I hope it will continue.

Go Bucs!

PS: I agree with NSMasters 56 about the bullpen and I like how Hurdle is using all of the players. I like Martin as our catcher, and I like the Bench depending on who is in the starting line up. The versatility of the players on this club is a big plus. I also really like Marte!

I like the bench regardless of who is starting. If Snider is starting, then Tabata is on bench and vice versa, Same with Gaby and Jones. I like the Fort as backup catcher and think he could be a PH if Inge could go in emergency. The only thing I really don't like is McDonald on the bench. I would rather see a bat there than a defensive guy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:59 pm 

In the last 7 games, Cutch is 4-27. In that span, the Bucs are 6-1 against the Braves and Phillies. Winning while Cutch is struggling .... I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:05 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:26 pm 

They make the other team get 27 outs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 pm 

I like our pinch hitting, which is pretty darn good right now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The wave.

;)

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:56 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I like that they were able to shut it down in 8-9 today without throwing Melancon/Grilli. That's important.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 pm 

THE PEN!

Our pen vs the Phils pen!

The pen is what won this series for us. Our guys got it done and the Phils did not. And I pen can get stronger too!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:55 pm 

The depth of this club is what has been most refreshing. The bullpen goes 5 deep, our rotation goes 7 deep, our bench has 4 legitimate guys. I could be wrong, because I'm just going on perception, but it seems like the Pirates would get dominated in innings 5-7 in the past because our bench would just send up scrubs in pinch-hit situations. Now we have guys like Gaby Sanchez, Tabata, McKenry, even Inge coming off the bench, and they actually produce for us. We are winning lots of games by having the ability to score in those middle/late innings, where in the past if we were behind by even a run it seemed insurmountable. Wasn't it beautiful today to have Garret Jones pinch-hitting in a huge spot, producing the go-ahead runs for us? In the past, Jones would have been our best available starter, and a guy like Xavier Paul would have been the pinch-hitter. Having a solid bench guy like Gaby Sanchez is such a huge plus and allows us to do this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 am 

Definitely like Melancon-Grilli at the back end more than anything. People sometimes underestimate how many wins that can get you when there's a reliable presence back there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:04 am 

I thought closers were overrated.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:36 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I thought closers were overrated.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty sure Grilli proves the concept that proven closers are massively overrated (and that anyone can close). A good RP is a good RP regardless of role. What's your point?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:41 am 

I like the fight that they show when down in games, that is a big change from the Russell era. I like the bench depth, despite Smizik promising that the bench was terrible. I like the eventual pitching depth, even though it is a bit painful right now to watch Sanchez. I like CH as a leader of men, which may be more important than his game management. I really like the current run differential which suggests that our start is not a fluke despite the horrendous BB/9IP rate and league best babip we are sporting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:58 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I like the fight that they show when down in games, that is a big change from the Russell era. I like the bench depth, despite Smizik promising that the bench was terrible. I like the eventual pitching depth, even though it is a bit painful right now to watch Sanchez. I like CH as a leader of men, which may be more important than his game management. I really like the current run differential which suggests that our start is not a fluke despite the horrendous BB/9IP rate and league best babip we are sporting.

You know, as a casual observer of the Buccos, Hurdle's relentless optimism at the start of his tenure here was beyond refreshing. He was able to change the culture of a team mired in an 18 year losing streak pretty successfully.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I really like the current run differential which suggests that our start is not a fluke despite the horrendous BB/9IP rate and league best babip we are sporting.

A certain someone who receives his checks from the Tribune-Review has in the recent past days cited the Pirates current run differential (+7) as potentally indicative that they are a fluke right now. Funny thing is . . . if you are a strict adherent to the Pythogariam (or however the hell you spell it) expected win/loss record formula . . . and setting aside whether that formula has any applicabilty or relevance after 22 games . . . the Bucs' expected win/loss record is 12-10 instead of 13-9. A +7 run differential after 13.5% of the season translates to a +54 over the course of the season. And a 12-10 record translates to an 88 win season.

Jus' saying.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:34 am 

They are four games over .500 despite being at or near the bottom third of the National League in many team offensive categories. Finding a way to win.

Last edited by clueless on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:35 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
I really like the current run differential which suggests that our start is not a fluke despite the horrendous BB/9IP rate and league best babip we are sporting.

A certain someone who receives his checks from the Tribune-Review has in the recent past days cited the Pirates current run differential (+7) as potentally indicative that they are a fluke right now. Funny thing is . . . if you are a strict adherent to the Pythogariam (or however the hell you spell it) expected win/loss record formula . . . and setting aside whether that formula has any applicabilty or relevance after 22 games . . . the Bucs' expected win/loss record is 12-10 instead of 13-9. A +7 run differential after 13.5% of the season translates to a +54 over the course of the season. And a 12-10 record translates to an 88 win season.

Jus' saying.

Yeah, there are caveats to pythagorean record as we both know, but if he were to look at deeper stats he would see that we are playing like a good team on paper too. The offense is league average across the board right now despite the terrible start (even the team BB rate is decent this year). We have the 6th best team batting WAR so far.

The pitching does have some babip regression coming, but I'd argue that we will also not continue to walk the most batters in the NL which will compensate some. I'd also argue that the pitching numbers will improve when Morton, Liriano, and Karstens return.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:00 pm 

Anybody think Jay Bell is making a difference at all?