Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McDonald
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:40 pm 

Again cringing since he starts tonight. I really think he needs to start showing improvement and needs to have a solid outing. I think his career may be in jeopardy if he doesn't soon.

Post subject: Re: McDonald
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:24 pm 

I can't believe the guy gets another start. Of course, Hurdle probably doesn't have any other options right now. Other than Wandy and A.J., these other starting pitchers are very questionable to say the least... :roll:

The way things are going, I'll take Sanchez over JMac and Locke and that's really not saying much... :?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:52 pm 

He pitched a pretty good game tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:06 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
I can't believe the guy gets another start.

You can't believe he got another start?

Hate to break it to you but McDonald is a part of this rotation, and there are two others that will be bumped from it before he is. Just like anyone else in it, he's not going to not make his next start because he had one bad outing, no matter how ugly.

The guy now has 2 excellent starts, one mediocre start and one awful start. Granted, I take it the same "send him to the minors!" comments will be made whenever he has his next bad start as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:17 pm 

The start tonight was good, but 4 walks and an HB put a small blemish on it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:22 pm 

TheShark wrote:
The guy now has 2 excellent starts, one mediocre start and one awful start.

To be fair, the guy is prone to Chaz-Mo/Pedro/Adam LaRoche like hot/cold streaks.

If he doesn't hit the DL this season then if/when the rotation is back at full strength the trick will be quickly identifying/realizing the outings when he 'doesn't have it' and getting him out of there ASAP to lessen the damage.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:24 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
The start tonight was good, but 4 walks and an HB put a small blemish on it.

True, but you can counter that 9 Ks in 6 IP along with it could produce sustainable successful results.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:30 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
To be fair, the guy is prone to Chaz-Mo/Pedro/Adam LaRoche like hot/cold streaks.

Absolutely, just saying that his first awful start of the year wasn't worthy of the "send him to the minors!" and "this guy shouldn't be allowed to make his next start!" cries like these two guys were insistent on making in the thread of his last start (and before today's game in this thread). His consistency is clearly an issue that will be evaluated (especially his early drop in velocity this year), but the bottom line is that he has been very good in half of his starts this year. My point is to not throw in the towel for reactionary reasons and look bigger picture.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 pm 

TheShark wrote:
My point is to not throw in the towel for reactionary reasons and look bigger picture.

It's tough to do with J-Mac, or any polarizing player, but you're absolutely right.

One must try and manage expectations.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:52 pm 

J Mac had been struggling since the second half of last year. In all honesty. He still does have some control issues, and remember he was put in the bullpen last year. He hit a batter and came close a few other times.

Hope he'll start to get better now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:53 pm 

TheShark wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Absolutely, just saying that his first awful start of the year wasn't worthy of the "send him to the minors!" and "this guy shouldn't be allowed to make his next start!" cries like these two guys were insistent on making in the thread of his last start (and before today's game in this thread). His consistency is clearly an issue that will be evaluated (especially his early drop in velocity this year), but the bottom line is that he has been very good in half of his starts this year. My point is to not throw in the towel for reactionary reasons and look bigger picture.

What most were saying was his velocity was down significantly, his breaking stuff wasn't breaking, and his control was erratic. Tonight was wonderful. The only thing you could pick at was his control. Velocity was up and this was the best breaking stuff he's had in awhile. Hopefully this was a "figure it out" moment for JMac and he can build from here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:21 am 

I'm just rolling with Mac from here on out. He can look so dominant and at times so lost.

You're good James. Put it together. You'll be known as one of the greatest pirates ever if you go get it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:30 am 

TheShark wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

Hate to break it to you but McDonald is a part of this rotation, and there are two others that will be bumped from it before he is. Just like anyone else in it, he's not going to not make his next start because he had one bad outing, no matter how ugly.

The guy now has 2 excellent starts, one mediocre start and one awful start. Granted, I take it the same "send him to the minors!" comments will be made whenever he has his next bad start as well.

I'll believe in JMac IF he's pitching games like last night IN August and September.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:35 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
TheShark wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

What most were saying was his velocity was down significantly, his breaking stuff wasn't breaking, and his control was erratic. Tonight was wonderful. The only thing you could pick at was his control. Velocity was up and this was the best breaking stuff he's had in awhile. Hopefully this was a "figure it out" moment for JMac and he can build from here.

Velocity averaged north of 91 for the 1st time this year and he hit 93+ a few times. Its not where he should be, but it was his best of 2013. Encouraging on a feezing cold night, but I'm still worried about him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:09 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
TheShark wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

I'll believe in JMac IF he's pitching games like last night IN August and September.

You'll constantly judge him on his most recent performance, rather than his overall potential and body of work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:22 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
You'll constantly judge him on his most recent performance, rather than his overall potential and body of work.

No Ralphie, I'm judging him on what he did last season...the entire season. He collapsed the second half of the season when the Pirates needed him the most. I'll wait and pass judgement on him at the end of the season this year...if he makes it that far. And hopefully for the Pirates and Pirate fans, he ends the season strong.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:01 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Velocity averaged north of 91 for the 1st time this year and he hit 93+ a few times. Its not where he should be, but it was his best of 2013. Encouraging on a feezing cold night, but I'm still worried about him.

Hmmm. I'm still worried, too. Rediscovered velocity is almost as suspicious as lost velocity. Here's hoping he just hadn't been working well on the side between starts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:13 am 

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/bucs ... z2R6WdZjG9

Quote:
A trip to the movies with catcher Russell Martin might turn out to be the turning point in Pirates pitcher James McDonald's season.

The duo didn't take in a Hollywood blockbuster. Instead, they sat down Saturday afternoon in the video room at PNC Park and screened a highlight reel of McDonald's strikeouts.

After watching his old, dominant self, McDonald went out a few hours later and cooled off the hottest team in baseball. McDonald racked up nine strikeouts as the Pirates clipped the Atlanta Braves, 3-1.

“The confidence of seeing that video carried into the game,” McDonald said. “It was a motivational thing. It worked.”

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 am 
 WWW  Profile

From now on, before every game, each Bucco must watch highlight videos of themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:29 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
From now on, before every game, each Bucco must watch highlight videos of themselves.

So what is Barmes going to do during that time?