Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Yeah, forget the home run he hit earlier. Why not bash Cutch? He was 0 for 4.

I agree 100%. Plus, Cutch stood there and took strike three looking from a AAA pitcher his first AB...sad... :roll:

On a pitch that was 6 inches outside. But he should have figured that the ump was going to give the kid a Greg Maddux strike zone...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:55 pm 

No way. That pitch was maybe an inch off the plate.

Not only has the concept of protecting the plate with 2 strikes gone by the wayside. It's now common practice to look at a fastball down the middle for strike 3.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:18 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

Not only has the concept of protecting the plate with 2 strikes gone by the wayside. It's now common practice to look at a fastball down the middle for strike 3.

I watched that pitch, Ralphie. Kratz was set up a good foot off the plate and he caught the ball square. The ball ended up being at least 6" wide.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:20 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

I watched that pitch, Ralphie. Kratz was set up a good foot off the plate and he caught the ball square. The ball ended up being at least 6" wide.

It was an awful call. Not even close

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:28 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Kratz actually pulled it back and it was STILL outside!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:29 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

It was an awful call. Not even close

It's infuriating that Cutch doesn't seem to get the "superstar" strike zone yet. Not that it should be that way(it is), but what does he have to do to qualify for that club???

The other interesting thing is that on Sunday they kept saying how Hurdle said he stressed to the players he didn't want them watching fastballs down the middle for called third strikes. Since then I've seen Snider, Alvarez, Walker twice, and someone else(can't recall who) do it. Guys guessing too much with two strikes...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:06 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Sorry in advance but I can't let this go.

Your post reminds me of a joke . . . "Q: Why are women horrible at judging distances? A: Because they've been told by men that [hold fingers 3 inches apart] this is 6 inches."

I watched the broadcast live and thought the pitch was outside but close. I just watched the Phillies and Pirates broadcasts on MLB.TV (12:12 if anyone wants to check) and the video doesn't change my opinion. It was very close. No more than a ball outside the black. Pretty much the same location as the 3-1 pitch that McCutchen fouled back to the screen.

Kratz's called for the pitch on the black (he didn't appear to be set up 12 inches off the plate) and gave Pettibone a target on the outer portion of the plate. Pettibone hit the mitt square and, more often than not, a pitcher will get that call.

Its a pitch that many pitchers want and would be shaking their heads if they didn't get it. Put me in the "not surprised" category that it was called a strike.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:21 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Your post reminds me of a joke . . . "Q: Why are women horrible at judging distances? A: Because they've been told by men that [hold fingers 3 inches apart] this is 6 inches."

I watched the broadcast live and thought the pitch was outside but close. I just watched the Phillies and Pirates broadcasts on MLB.TV (12:12 if anyone wants to check) and the video doesn't change my opinion. It was very close. No more than a ball outside the black. Pretty much the same location as the 3-1 pitch that McCutchen fouled back to the screen.

Kratz's called for the pitch on the black (he didn't appear to be set up 12 inches off the plate) and gave Pettibone a target on the outer portion of the plate. Pettibone hit the mitt square and, more often than not, a pitcher will get that call.

Its a pitch that many pitchers want and would be shaking their heads if they didn't get it. Put me in the "not surprised" category that it was called a strike.

So why didn't Cutch at least swing at that pitch? Going back to what Ralphie said, hitters NEED to protect the plate with two strikes on them if the pitch is close. Shame on Cutch and any player who stands there with two strikes on them and takes strike three (on a close pitch). That might just be the most infuriating play in baseball for me. I just hate it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:22 am 

Last seven games for El toro.

4 HR
7 rbi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:00 am 

Yeah, he's in one of his streaks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:36 am 

No. 9 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Thank you No. 9. I thought maybe I wasn't correctly recalling what I had seen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 pm 

The feed I watched was the Phillies home feed, which does not give the true center field view. Generally, with the camera off to the 3rd base side of home plate, the ball is actually closer to the R-handed batter's box than it appears. I base this on comparing the K zone to where I "see" the ball crossing the plate.

If J_C were looking at the same feed I was, that would explain his belief that the ball was that far outside. I think No. 9 is correct that the ball was outside but a bit, but not much.

However, it was a ball. The strike zone is the strike zone. It should not vary from pitch to pitch, batter to batter, and pitcher to pitcher, yet we all know that it does. If Roy bleeping Halladay is so good, he does NOT need your help, umpire. (Yes, I know the pitch in issue was dealt by Pettibone, but the Halladay strike zone was stoopid.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:29 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
If J_C were looking at the same feed I was, that would explain his belief that the ball was that far outside. I think No. 9 is correct that the ball was outside but a bit, but not much.

However, it was a ball. The strike zone is the strike zone. It should not vary from pitch to pitch, batter to batter, and pitcher to pitcher, yet we all know that it does. If Roy bleeping Halladay is so good, he does NOT need your help, umpire. (Yes, I know the pitch in issue was dealt by Pettibone, but the Halladay strike zone was stoopid.)

Bingo. Thanks for clearing that up, Bucfan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:32 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The feed I watched was the Phillies home feed, which does not give the true center field view. Generally, with the camera off to the 3rd base side of home plate, the ball is actually closer to the R-handed batter's box than it appears. I base this on comparing the K zone to where I "see" the ball crossing the plate.

Another reason for robot strike zones...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:01 pm 

My reasoning for Pee dros hot and LONG cold streaks is that he 'almost' refuses to hit the ball to the opposite field. Then all of the sudden he will get a few hits to left field, and pitchers will start pitching him middle in, and he will start hitting tons of homeruns, but still gets back into trying to pull every single pitch that is on the outside corner.

Sometimes he will get lucky and be able to pull an outside pitch out of the park. He was probably used to being able to do that a lot in the minors, and in college, but not in the pros.

But, in the end, I trust Jay Bell and Pee Dro to figure it out.