Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mr. Hughes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:47 am 

I know I do not care for his "act" on the mound when he pitches. Just pitch...just get players out...just do your job...and because of his so called "act" on the mound combined with questionable pitching (in other words I have no confidence in him), I do not care for the guy.

And, even if I could stomach his "act" on the mound, it would be because of his excellent pitching. He obviously can't back up his "act" with excellent pitching.

I'm from the school of just doing your job on the field and playing good, solid baseball with no drama or theatrics. That's why I do not care for Brandon Phillips and players like him. That's why I do not care for Jared Hughes.

You can argue that Hughes is different from a player like Phillips because he's not showing up the other team or "hot dogging it". To me, it's an "act" Hughes has decided to embrace. To me it's a form of some sort of "intimidation" that Hughes has concocted to make him appear to be a "bad ass" on the mound.

His "act" isn't working IMO. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Mr. Hughes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:05 am 

I'm bored with the theatrics of most ball players, both across sport and across countries. If I want theater, well, I'll go to the theater.

Aside with being childish, most of players' theatrics only serves to make the games go longer. Now, if we didn't have TV and it's attendant commercial breaks, this might not be so bad, but with a busy job and a book I'm trying to write and 2 kids and a third we're in the process of adopting, well, I just don't have the time to watch a 3.5 hour game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:36 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
I know I do not care for his "act" on the mound when he pitches. Just pitch...just get players out...just do your job...and because of his so called "act" on the mound combined with questionable pitching (in other words I have no confidence in him), I do not care for the guy.

And, even if I could stomach his "act" on the mound, it would be because of his excellent pitching. He obviously can't back up his "act" with excellent pitching.

I'm from the school of just doing your job on the field and playing good, solid baseball with no drama or theatrics. That's why I do not care for Brandon Phillips and players like him. That's why I do not care for Jared Hughes.

You can argue that Hughes is different from a player like Phillips because he's not showing up the other team or "hot dogging it". To me, it's an "act" Hughes has decided to embrace. To me it's a form of some sort of "intimidation" that Hughes has concocted to make him appear to be a "bad ass" on the mound.

His "act" isn't working IMO. :roll:

Well said.

Hot Dog players suck and I was thrilled to see Nyjer Morgan fail to find a job in America in the off season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:43 am 

Or why Joba Chamberlain still makes all of the player polls most hated players lists, despite nobody even knowing if he still plays professional baseball or not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 am 

I have no problem with his act. He plays angry because he has found that it works for him.

I have a problem with the gofer balls he is serving up. His stuff is only good enough if he is very precise with his control. Lately he has not been and he is getting burned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:12 am 

I must be missing something. All I see is an angry scowl, which I see from a lot of pitchers. Announcers have hyped it up a lot. He was pretty good last year. Maybe just needs to find the groove. I mean the one other than the one right over the plate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

Just an angry scowl? He acts like a stork addicted to meth.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:07 pm 

I don't care how he acts. I care that he sucks. He's the worst arm in the 'pen at the moment. I do NOT want to see him pitching late in a tie game again...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:06 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I don't care how he acts. I care that he sucks. He's the worst arm in the 'pen at the moment. I do NOT want to see him pitching late in a tie game again...

Not saying I'm a big fan of Hughes but as long as he's a part of the bullpen he needs to be thrown in the fire.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:24 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Not saying I'm a big fan of Hughes but as long as he's a part of the bullpen he needs to be thrown in the fire.

Does it have to be when there's a tie game?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:55 pm 

Could care less about his antics. Its all about results. Kimbrel goes into that silly vulture position while getting his sign, but then he strikes everybody out. I would happily accept scowls, screeches, vulture poses . . . whatever. Just dont keep getting behind every batter and stop throwing gopher balls.

Fingers crossed that Wandy is actually healthy and can put up 7 sttrong tonight. Our backend starters are in shambles. We NEED Wandy to represent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:38 pm 

Willton wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I guess what I meant was I'd rather see the team I root for be able to go to any of the guys in the bullpen in any given situation. A team is only as good as their weakest link phrase. If that weak link is pretty darn good then thar bullpen is probably one of the best. Same with every other part of the team. If Hughes isn't that guy, replace him. Lots of guys looking for oppritunites to make this game their career.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:34 pm 

The strategy behind leaving Hughes in to pitch the eighth was sound ... given that this was the first of a four-game series against the best team in baseball and Locke obviously didn't do a very good job of keeping our bullpen fresh, it's understandable to want to stretch him to two innings there, and he did K two batters in the seventh. However given that this was a winnable game given that the Pirates were able to get to literally the only Braves SP who hasn't been excellent thus far, I think I make a pitching chance with a tie game in the eighth.

I think the thesis of the thread is ridiculous, though. As bassoon admitted himself, if Hughes didn't give up the game-winning HR last night, this thread is never created and the complaints about his "act" are never brought up, just like they weren't last year when he posted a 2.85 ERA. Just an abstract way to try to criticize a guy because he performed poorly. And, quite frankly, the description of said "act" sound really daft. He lowers his head and plays with a competitive scowl on his face. Saying that it is something Hughes does to attempt to intimidate opposing batters or compare it to "drama" or "theatrics" ... please. It is obviously just the way the guy chooses to pitch, I have never once thought of it as a stigma attached to any kind of gimmick or boastful nature.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:08 pm 

Willton wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:25 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Willton wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:

This.

Hughes should just crawl up in a hole then. All you scared of any player Hurdle hands the ball to. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:36 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
All you scared of any player Hurdle hands the ball to. :mrgreen:

:lol:

It comes with the terrain.

But, if there were a hierarchy of pitchers best suited to come into a tie game (and assuming Grilli is preserved for the 'save') it might be:
Melancon
Wilson (assuming a Lefty heavy lineup)
DROP
Hughes/Gomez (tough call... neither inspire confidence, but CAN get the job done. Gomez better to eat innings, if need be.)
Watson
Mazzaro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:22 pm 

TheShark wrote:
I think the thesis of the thread is ridiculous, though. As bassoon admitted himself, if Hughes didn't give up the game-winning HR last night, this thread is never created and the complaints about his "act" are never brought up, just like they weren't last year when he posted a 2.85 ERA. Just an abstract way to try to criticize a guy because he performed poorly. And, quite frankly, the description of said "act" sound really daft. He lowers his head and plays with a competitive scowl on his face. Saying that it is something Hughes does to attempt to intimidate opposing batters or compare it to "drama" or "theatrics" ... please. It is obviously just the way the guy chooses to pitch, I have never once thought of it as a stigma attached to any kind of gimmick or boastful nature.

Sorry Shark, but I'll have to take exception. He stands there and sticks his tongue out and scowls. IF he threw strikes, got ahead of batters, and
held the opposing team to zero runs (which a good bullpen guy is suppose to do especially late in a tight game), I still would not like his act. I might be able to stomach it a bit better, but I still would not care for his demeanor on the mound.

And, last night is not the first time Mr. Hughes has given up the lead.

The combination of him not being a great bullpen guy along with his theatrics is the reason I do care care for him.

And by the way, I do think it's an act.

You are free to your opinion and I'm free to voice mine. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:37 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
TheShark wrote:

Sorry Shark, but I'll have to take exception. He stands there and sticks his tongue out and scowls. IF he threw strikes, got ahead of batters, and
held the opposing team to zero runs (which a good bullpen guy is suppose to do especially late in a tight game), I still would not like his act. I might be able to stomach it a bit better, but I still would not care for his demeanor on the mound.

The combination of him not being a great bullpen guy along with his theatrics is the reason I do care care for him.

Nope, Hughes has the aura of stink about him this year. Yeah, he was good at first last season, but post all-star his ERA balloons to 3.86 and this year he inspires zero confidence. And it is an act.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

Just win. Any player. Any hyperbole. Any antic.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:47 am 

psubar12 wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:
TheShark wrote:

Nope, Hughes has the aura of stink about him this year. Yeah, he was good at first last season, but post all-star his ERA balloons to 3.86 and this year he inspires zero confidence. And it is an act.

Do you know what a league average ERA is?