Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedro
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:43 pm 
 WWW  Profile

DK wrote a blurb today that the Buccos might be interested in signing Pedro Martinez. Now I know what risks come with Pedro but I think for the right price he would be great for the team. First off, it would put butts in the seats whenever he pitches. Second, maybe he can teach some of these young guys (Snell) how to pitch.

For the right price, whatever it is...I'd be happy. The 2009 team has the makings of an amazingly, depressingly, historically boring team. He would add some spice.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

Post subject: Re: Pedro
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:02 pm 
IA Pirate wrote:
DK wrote a blurb today that the Buccos might be interested in signing Pedro Martinez. Now I know what risks come with Pedro but I think for the right price he would be great for the team. First off, it would put butts in the seats whenever he pitches. Second, maybe he can teach some of these young guys (Snell) how to pitch.

For the right price, whatever it is...I'd be happy. The 2009 team has the makings of an amazingly, depressingly, historically boring team. He would add some spice.

I agree, so long as they don't sell the farm to get him. For one thing, there's a chance he'd be an upgrade over what the Pirates already have. More than that, though, is the entertainment/attendance value.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:07 pm 

I find Pedro to be a very interesting prospect. His days of blowing people away are gone, but he still has two quality pitches, a curve and change, that he could use with a fastball thrown in as the off balance pitch. Basically he'd have to reinvent himself as a control pitcher.

If the price was right, I could stomache watching a shoe-in HOFer for a summer as long as he a) earns his keep b) doesn't mind watching his lifetime win% (currently in the top 5 all time I think) drop like a rock.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:57 pm 

You gotta remember, Kerrigan is his guy. If anyone can turn him around...

But forget most of the pros and cons. Like Elmer said, it would just be alot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:08 pm 
Kingston wrote:
You gotta remember, Kerrigan is his guy. If anyone can turn him around...

But forget most of the pros and cons. Like Elmer said, it would just be alot of fun.

Exactly. The business of baseball is entertainment to a certain extent ... I'd like to see Pedro in a Bucs uniform.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:28 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Only if you could channel him into Ian!

ZM