Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neil Walker
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:51 pm 

It looks like he has a decent shot to get in the Bigs at some point this year, if he performs decently in AAA.

I'm biased because I went to high school with this guy, and he's a phenomenal human being as well as an incredible athlete. But I'm rooting for him like crazy to have an excellent year. If Alvarez is the man at third, Neil could switch to first or even outfield. He's a good enough athlete that he will learn to play defense just fine wherever he ends up. Plenty of guys have struggled in AAA only to outperform their AAA numbers in the majors, and I think he's one of them. Let's get behind Neil Walker and see him be a big part of the turnaround!

Last edited by Pirates4real on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Neil Walker
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:05 pm 

If Walker wants to have any chance at sticking at any of the corner positions, he needs to hit for power and develop much better plate discipline. Striking out almost 3 times as often as one walks in AAA is nearing Brad Eldred territory. As young as he is, I don't hold out much hope for Mr. Walker.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:30 pm 

Pirates4Real,

I grew up in Gibsonia, over on East Hardies. I went to Hampton High, I'm assuming you went to Richland.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:34 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Pirates4Real,

I grew up in Gibsonia, over on East Hardies. I went to Hampton High, I'm assuming you went to Richland.

Yup Richland township and PR high. I don't want to say exactly where I live but it's very close to where you are on East Hardies. Take it from me, Neil is a great guy, not arrogant at all like you would expect from a star athlete and well-liked by everyone in school. It's reason alone to root for his success.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:31 pm 

I am a big supporter of Neil myself, I of course don't know him personally, but would like to see a hometown guy make good.

That said, I'd love to see him improve at AAA this season. He is still relatively young and could very well make the club in 2010. I don't think the Pirates are too concerned about postitions. They just want some talent at the MLB level. The'll figure out the postions later.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:03 pm 
Pirates4real wrote:
It looks like he has a decent shot to get in the Bigs at some point this year, if he performs decently in AAA.

That's a big if, my friend. He has to prove he can master AAA pitching before we can even consider him a big league player.

He's still very young, so there's plenty of time. I hope he reaches his potential.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:10 pm 

Speaking of talented guys who break the mold of being full of themselves ...

I had occasion to spend some time over the Thanksgiving holiday with a first-round draft pick out of Crespi High School in Encino. The young man is Trevor Plouffe, a shortstop in the Twins organization.

He was one of the nicest and most humble guys I met that day. The occasion was a fundraiser put on by the Crespi baseball coach, an event that has been run every year for the past 15 years. The event is an "over the line" tournament.

It is a mini-baseball (kinda) game, using a soft ball about the size of a baseball. Three players per team. Plouffe and one other guy we played against (on a different team) were the only two to hit the ball hard enough to make it "hiss" as it went past.

I played with my son and the school's wrestling coach (and former baseball player). I sucked because, well, I am 47 and not that fleet of foot any more.

Plouffe's squad included another recently-drafted Crespi grad and a college catcher. We were lucky enough to catch that team "three beers in" and went on to dominate in a 6-0 victory. Plouffe was having a great time, and I told him (relative to my team's performance), "Even a blind sow finds an acorn." He said, "Nahh, the better team won."

He was very down to earth and unassuming. We had never spent much time with him before that day, and he treated my son like a friend. I am going to root REALLY hard for him this year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:14 pm 
Bucfan wrote:
Speaking of talented guys who break the mold of being full of themselves ...

I had occasion to spend some time over the Thanksgiving holiday with a first-round draft pick out of Crespi High School in Encino. The young man is Trevor Plouffe, a shortstop in the Twins organization.

He was one of the nicest and most humble guys I met that day. The occasion was a fundraiser put on by the Crespi baseball coach, an event that has been run every year for the past 15 years. The event is an "over the line" tournament.

It is a mini-baseball (kinda) game, using a soft ball about the size of a baseball. Three players per team. Plouffe and one other guy we played against (on a different team) were the only two to hit the ball hard enough to make it "hiss" as it went past.

I played with my son and the school's wrestling coach (and former baseball player). I sucked because, well, I am 47 and not that fleet of foot any more.

Plouffe's squad included another recently-drafted Crespi grad and a college catcher. We were lucky enough to catch that team "three beers in" and went on to dominate in a 6-0 victory. Plouffe was having a great time, and I told him (relative to my team's performance), "Even a blind sow finds an acorn." He said, "Nahh, the better team won."

He was very down to earth and unassuming. We had never spent much time with him before that day, and he treated my son like a friend. I am going to root REALLY hard for him this year.

That's cool, Bucfan. I've had similar experiences.

I've interacted with a number of celebs on a relatively close level (ie not just sharing an elevator). In my experience, a lot of times the guys/gals who are legitimately big celebrities are pretty cool and down to earth. The guys who are kind "B list" celebrities are total @ss holes and think they are bigger deals than they really are.

This isn't always true, but it is true more often than not, in my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:16 pm 

Elmer wrote:

I've interacted with a number of celebs on a relatively close level (ie not just sharing an elevator). In my experience, a lot of times the guys/gals who are legitimately big celebrities are pretty cool and down to earth. The guys who are kind "B list" celebrities are total @ss holes and think they are bigger deals than they really are.

Good point, Elmer. And it explains why my friends refer to me as "B List." :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:26 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Elmer wrote:
I've interacted with a number of celebs on a relatively close level (ie not just sharing an elevator)...

Nothing wrong with the elevator kind, if the celeb is Angelina Jolie, or some version thereof! :shock:

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:34 pm 
Bucfan wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Good point, Elmer. And it explains why my friends refer to me as "B List." :D

Hahaha. B list but think you're A list kind of thing?