Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I am glad about the Marlins signing Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:53 am 

Argentum wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Welfare_Fraud wrote:
More proof that "smaller market" teams can scout talent and keep it long term.

No, it isn't. The Marlins haven't kept him long term. They've signed him to a long term contract. Whether they can hold on to him remains to be seen.

For $11.5 million over 6 years, this contract is a bargain. I think ownership would have been foolish to not sign him for this amount. Ramirez's tradability just increased exponentially, unless of course he falls on his face, which has about a 2% probability. So for the Marlins, this is a win-win scenario, if they can keep him great, they're getting tremendous value for his services, if they can't, he gets traded at a higher premium as he no longer is eligible for restricted free agency. Heck, Cabrera won $7.4 million in arbitration last year so you know Ramirez would be getting at least that amount.

It is a great deal for the Marlins. I can't see them losing out on it, barring severe injury or an unforeseeable catastrophic decline in performance. I just don't trust the Marlins ownership. Loria ran one club into the ground, and he's doing a pretty good job of repeating that performance in Florida. They'll have him locked up at a bargain price, but it wouldn't surprise me if they dealt him for a mess of pottage three years from now in another salary cutting binge.