Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I am glad about the Marlins signing Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:52 pm 

More proof that "smaller market" teams can scout talent and keep it long term.

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"

Post subject: Re: I am glad about the Marlins signing Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:17 am 

I honestly don't know why Hanley would sign that deal. I guess $70 mil is a lot of money, but now he is stuck in FLA. I personally don't believe that the team will have enough money (or choose to spend enough money) on top of that contract to ever build a winner.

I'm not saying Hanley isn't worth every penny of that, in fact he would probably get more on the open market. However, I doubt he remains a SS throughout the life of that deal, as his defense isn't great.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:59 am 

FLA had no choice but to sign Ramirez to the deal with new ballpark on the way. This won't turn out like the Pirates and Jason Kendall but I do agree, a position move to the outfield should be in the cards within the next year or so.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:19 am 

Welfare_Fraud wrote:

No, it isn't. The Marlins haven't kept him long term. They've signed him to a long term contract. Whether they can hold on to him remains to be seen. They had a helluva lot of talent under contract after their first World Series, and most of it was gone before the next Opening Day.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:29 am 

He's the face of the team right now. You can't haggle a new stadium from the state and then dump the best player on your team before the yard is scheduled to open.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:26 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
He's the face of the team right now. You can't haggle a new stadium from the state and then dump the best player on your team before the yard is scheduled to open.

Good point. I have to spend a week in south Florida every summer, and while there I try to get to at least a couple of Marlins' games. Ramirez always draws the loudest cheers (from the 6,000 or so people in attendance) when the starting lineup is introduced. When the new stadium opens and attendance grows, I'd expect even more of a reaction because he's a terrific ballplayer.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:13 pm 

I agree! I hope the Pirates make some similar signings.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:02 pm 

Zane41 wrote:
I agree! I hope the Pirates make some similar signings.

First we need similar ballplayers. We don't have that right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:57 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Welfare_Fraud wrote:

No, it isn't. The Marlins haven't kept him long term. They've signed him to a long term contract. Whether they can hold on to him remains to be seen. They had a helluva lot of talent under contract after their first World Series, and most of it was gone before the next Opening Day.

That first World Series was over 10 years ago, and kind of irrelevant now. A rich owner bought a championship team and dismantled it the next year. Can happen anywhere. People often say how the Marlins had fire sales after their two World Series, which is completely untrue. After the second one, they spent money and tried to compete for the next two years (added Paul Lo Duca, Carlos Delgado,etc) when they didn't win the blew it up and started again. Even blowing it up they didn't fall as far as the Pirates have been hovering the last 9 years. And they are seeing the benefits already. I'd sure as h*ll take what they do over the Pirates being in year 12 of their 3rd five-year rebuilding plan in the last 15 years. I think Florida's business plan is commendable and proof that Major League Baseball's system works.

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Welfare_Fraud wrote:

No, it isn't. The Marlins haven't kept him long term. They've signed him to a long term contract. Whether they can hold on to him remains to be seen.

For $11.5 million over 6 years, this contract is a bargain. I think ownership would have been foolish to not sign him for this amount. Ramirez's tradability just increased exponentially, unless of course he falls on his face, which has about a 2% probability. So for the Marlins, this is a win-win scenario, if they can keep him great, they're getting tremendous value for his services, if they can't, he gets traded at a higher premium as he no longer is eligible for restricted free agency. Heck, Cabrera won $7.4 million in arbitration last year so you know Ramirez would be getting at least that amount.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:53 am 

Argentum wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Welfare_Fraud wrote:

No, it isn't. The Marlins haven't kept him long term. They've signed him to a long term contract. Whether they can hold on to him remains to be seen.

For $11.5 million over 6 years, this contract is a bargain. I think ownership would have been foolish to not sign him for this amount. Ramirez's tradability just increased exponentially, unless of course he falls on his face, which has about a 2% probability. So for the Marlins, this is a win-win scenario, if they can keep him great, they're getting tremendous value for his services, if they can't, he gets traded at a higher premium as he no longer is eligible for restricted free agency. Heck, Cabrera won $7.4 million in arbitration last year so you know Ramirez would be getting at least that amount.

It is a great deal for the Marlins. I can't see them losing out on it, barring severe injury or an unforeseeable catastrophic decline in performance. I just don't trust the Marlins ownership. Loria ran one club into the ground, and he's doing a pretty good job of repeating that performance in Florida. They'll have him locked up at a bargain price, but it wouldn't surprise me if they dealt him for a mess of pottage three years from now in another salary cutting binge.