Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Alvarez:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 am 

He continues to try and pull an outside pitch. Pitchers are throwing the ball on the outside corner or off the plate and he is trying to pull. Maybe go with the pitch a few times. I agree with everyone else on the first pitch fastball.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 am 
 WWW  Profile

J.D. wrote:

How dare I criticize him.

You mean "how dare I start a thread on a public forum about how he should be sent down to the minors and have to watch as people disagree"?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:42 am 

It would be nice if we could move past this nonsense. Pedro is not going to get any better, eh is what he is. Over the course of a season he will be a league average 3B, but most of that production will come in spurts where he will carry the team to wins and valleys where he looks lost. This isn't hard to understand, stop all the hand wringing. His K rate and BB rate are right at his career norms while he is sporting a .120 babip. That will change and he will hit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:51 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
It would be nice if we could move past this nonsense. Pedro is not going to get any better, eh is what he is. Over the course of a season he will be a league average 3B, but most of that production will come in spurts where he will carry the team to wins and valleys where he looks lost. This isn't hard to understand, stop all the hand wringing. His K rate and BB rate are right at his career norms while he is sporting a .120 babip. That will change and he will hit.

He's definitely not out there dogging it. He had that at bat in the 3rd lastnight, where he fouled off a pitch behind 3rd and slammed down his bat. He cares.

Is he trying too hard to get the perfect pitch to drive?

Is it the pressure from the fan base that he is supposed to be the savior of the franchise like the build up was when he was drafted?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:21 pm 

If Edwin Encarnation can hit 42 HR's with a 900+ OPS, I don't see why Pedro Alvarez can't.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:38 pm 

And yet, if he goes just 17 for his next 59, which wouldn't exactly be red hot, he will be at the Mendosa line. It's a long season...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:49 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

He's definitely not out there dogging it. He had that at bat in the 3rd lastnight, where he fouled off a pitch behind 3rd and slammed down his bat. He cares.

Is it the pressure from the fan base that he is supposed to be the savior of the franchise like the build up was when he was drafted?

Watch when Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones hit routine ground balls. 9 out of 10 times they bust it down the line. They even commented on Joe Madden raving about Cutch doing that in spring training. Then watch Pedro. 9 out of 10 times he jogs down the line. I'm sure he cares. Anybody that walks to the plate WANTS to hit. But he doesn't carry himself well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:52 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
It would be nice if we could move past this nonsense. Pedro is not going to get any better, eh is what he is. Over the course of a season he will be a league average 3B, but most of that production will come in spurts where he will carry the team to wins and valleys where he looks lost and he drags the team down to lose. This isn't hard to understand, stop all the hand wringing. His K rate and BB rate are right at his career norms while he is sporting a .120 babip. That will change and he will hit.

Fixed.

If Kdro gets credit for carrying the team to wins then it is fair to give Kdro credit for dragging the team down for losses. While his numbers at the end of the year may be "league average," I'd personally prefer to see him reach those numbers with less severe peaks and valleys.

The Bucs have completed 8% of the season and Pedro is now just short of 8% of the number of PAs from last year and one must stretch to find anything positive from him at the plate. He's struck out 35% of his PAs this year (16Ks in 46 PAs). Of the 25 times that he's put the ball in play, 16 of them have been ground balls; 4 have been fly balls, 5 have been line drives. He hasn't just been bad. He's been terrible. He hardly puts the ball in play and when he does, he is making minimal contact and nothing good is coming from it. Was watching last night's game with my Cards fan neighbor and he absolutely mocked Kdro's effort on the 3 strike K in the 4th (or maybe 5th) when the Bucs still had a sliver of hope to come back. Pathetic PA.

My edit: My K numbers for Kdro were off. Now fixed.

Last edited by No. 9 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Watch when Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones hit routine ground balls. 9 out of 10 times they bust it down the line. They even commented on Joe Madden raving about Cutch doing that in spring training. Then watch Pedro. 9 out of 10 times he jogs down the line. I'm sure he cares. Anybody that walks to the plate WANTS to hit. But he doesn't carry himself well.

You act like Pedro can run. He's a very large dude. When he sprains his ankle trying to beat out a routine groundout, then we can watch this board explode with "What an idiot, Pedro" posts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:59 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

I have no problem with the Pirates choosing him. I know he is going to strikeout at a high rate. I know he is streaky. I know everyone doesn't interview well, etc. Doesn't mean I have to like it. His cold streaks are too long, and unfortunately this team needs him to be their cleanup hitter. He needs to develop into a more consistent hitter. He needs to be better than he was last year for this team to take another step forward. As others have said...there are plenty of examples of other players that developed into better, more consistent hitters during their careers. It's time for Pedro to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:01 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
You act like Pedro can run. He's a very large dude. When he sprains his ankle trying to beat out a routine groundout, then we can watch this board explode with "What an idiot, Pedro" posts.

Oh c'mon...Jones is fast???? I don't care how fast he runs, I'm talking about playing the game the right way. If he sprains his ankle running to first then maybe he should stay in bed all day...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:02 pm 

So after reading through all these posts I've come to this conclusion. Pedro is good. Pedro is not good. Confusing to say the least all while he's fat and cannot run.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:04 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

If Kdro gets credit for carrying the team to wins then it is fair to give Kdro credit for dragging the team down for losses. While his numbers at the end of the year may be "league average," I'd personally prefer to see him reach those numbers with less severe peaks and valleys.

Hear Hear!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:13 pm 

After 13 games, here is your list of NL third basemen and their production thus far.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp?c ... sition='5'

We can celebrate that Kdro is tied for 4th place in walks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It's April 16. Pedro doesn't platoon, he plays every day. He has zero extra base hits. He has one RBI. That's one more RBI than I have.

#15 Kansas State Wildcats (1-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (0-1)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 6, 2014
11:00 AM CST
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

IA Pirate wrote:
It's April 16. Pedro doesn't platoon, he plays every day. He has zero extra base hits. He has one RBI. That's one more RBI than I have.

You're also tied with Giancarlo Stanton.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:24 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
If he sprains his ankle running to first then maybe he should stay in bed all day...

Jose Bautista agrees with this comment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:56 pm 

Pedro should be released. We all know he can't hit. Or run or field for that matter. What are they waiting for?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:42 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Agree 100%. It's still way early. Yes, he has stunk up the joint with his bat. But his glove has been okay, very good at times. He works hard. He cares. One of his hot streaks sooner, rather than later, and he will be among the Buc leaders. Let's back him as Pirate fans. Cheer for him now, instead of just when he is going great. Show him we are Pirate fans, and appreciate the effort!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:08 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Pedro should be released. We all know he can't hit. Or run or field for that matter. What are they waiting for?

Yeah, then we can see a combination of John McDonald, Josh Harrison, Jordy Mercer, and Brandon Inge manning third.