Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Irwin down; Presley Up
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:54 pm 

According to "Beer Temple" on twitter. I'm surprised. I thought the Inge Era was about to begin.

Post subject: Re: Irwin down; Presley Up
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:03 pm 

Inge makes me twinge...... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:07 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Inge makes me twinge...... 8-) 8-)

Giving credit to Bucs Dugout, the posters on that site have come up with the apt nickname, "Cringe."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:34 pm 

Go figure, a LH bench bat. You know its taking them a few weeks, but they are slowly but surely getting the roster right.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:13 pm 

I was worried that it was just temporary with Irwin's necessary demotion and that calling up Presley by default would mean a horrendous swap for Harrison (just sent down, not sure of the rule but I assume he has to be down a certain amount of days) or Inge (still rehabbing) in the near future, but K. Robinson reported the following ...

Quote:
Hurdle said brought Presley instead of INF bc of match ups. Lot of RHP coming up & wanted a lefty on bench. Felt he is best plyr 2 help now

... so I guess it could technically still be temporary, but in place for the time being. Yeah, carrying Presley was what I wanted for the roster initially. If by chance this means they will finally stop being afraid of carrying 5 OF instead of 2 bench IF I will be very happy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:34 pm 

I like having Presley on the team but with Marte and Cutch both hitting well I don't expect him to do much more than pinch hit.

I hate to say it but with the way Alvarez and Walker are hitting (or not hitting) lefties maybe Inge could help.

But you can't have both if you want 7 relievers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:35 pm 

Well, you know they are not going to keep Inge in the minors...but don't mind seeing Presley. I actually think he would be a pretty decent bench guy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm 

I may be wrong, but I don't think we have any remaining options on Presley now. Anyone know for sure?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:45 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I like having Presley on the team but with Marte and Cutch both hitting well I don't expect him to do much more than pinch hit.

I hate to say it but with the way Alvarez and Walker are hitting (or not hitting) lefties maybe Inge could help.

1. RF is where Presley would get playing time if any so it won't be affected by Marte and McCutchen.

2. No, no no. A 35-year old who has never hit in the majors and who is currently hitting .125 with 12 Ks in 32 ABs in AAA is not who you want to go to for solutions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:05 pm 

bradf wrote:
I may be wrong, but I don't think we have any remaining options on Presley now. Anyone know for sure?

Doesn't matter, they used up this year's option when they sent him down to start the season. They are now free to move him up and down any time for the rest of the year. I don't know what his option status is for next year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:06 pm 

I hope I'm wrong...really...but...the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw Presley being recalled is: "oh boy, I get to see Presley stand there and take strike three again"... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:16 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

1. RF is where Presley would get playing time if any so it won't be affected by Marte and McCutchen.

2. No, no no. A 35-year old who has never hit in the majors and who is currently hitting .125 with 12 Ks in 32 ABs in AAA is not who you want to go to for solutions.

I don't know... Inge has been in double digits in HR in 8 of last 9 years. While his average might not be great, I like the pop off the bench. If he can catch in an emergency, that means we could use McHenry or Martin as a PH too. I'd take him over Harrison.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:12 pm 

Interesting further explanation of how they'll utilize Presley as well as a potential "trick card" of Russell Martin playing third from Hurdle himself (via Tim Williams article on PiratesProspects) ...

Quote:
“What we did was we looked at the schedule — all right handed pitchers with the exception of (Paul) Maholm who’s not a traditional left on left. How we want to set our bench, how we want to set our in-game decisions. We felt we were stronger with another left-handed bat, speed guy. Lead-off an inning, come out late, maybe spot Marte for a day if we need it. We did talk about a couple other guys but at the end of the day we liked adding Presley.”

Hurdle added that the team still has a “trick card” it has yet to play this season.

“Russell Martin can go to third base and play tonight if we need him,” he said. “He’s played in the big leagues at third base. I watched him play a handful of games and we’ve talked about this. We didn’t want to have him out there because as soon as he went to short that got a lot of press. He’s backing off taking balls in the infield, but third base — he knows that he’s capable and we know that he’s capable if I need an in-game adjustment there I can go with him there and (Michael) McKenry behind the plate.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:50 am 

I'd rather see Mckenry play another position. Anywhere than behind the plate.