It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meek throwing heat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:32 am 

Control still shaky.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08342/933372-63.stm

Post subject: Re: Meek throwing heat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:47 am 

I like that he is making the most of this situation...This was a nice pick up at a minimal cost...He could be the setup man in a few seasons

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:54 am 

nad69dan wrote:
I like that he is making the most of this situation...This was a nice pick up at a minimal cost...He could be the setup man in a few seasons

I remember when many people here were calling for his head. Funny how things have changed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:45 pm 

This is good news indeed, but until this guy can throw more than just one pitch (heater) for strikes, he will not have a chance in the majors. His potential cannot be ignored though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:24 pm 

Willton wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I remember when many people here were calling for his head. Funny how things have changed.

Yes it is...yet some here, understood the value of Meek could be in the future

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:41 pm 

Anyone know why the Rays didnt take him back?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:36 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Anyone know why the Rays didnt take him back?

They probably thought the money was more valuable to them, especially given their position as contenders.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:46 am 

An example of a very good personnel decision by the Buccos.

They saw Meek throwing 95 mph in the minors in 2007. Select him Rule 5. See what he has to offer. Figure his velocity is enough to keep him on the team, work out a deal with Rays to keep him.

What it costs the Pirates: $50k and a roster spot for about 4 weeks. Potential upside: reliever who can reach 97 mph, and showed a devastating slider in his stint with the Pirates. Fastball/slider guy who throws that hard is a valuable commodity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:07 pm 
urbanexplorer wrote:
This is good news indeed, but until this guy can throw more than just one pitch (heater) for strikes, he will not have a chance in the majors. His potential cannot be ignored though.

You nailed it. A great arm is, well, great. But if you can't throw strikes with it, the great arm has zero value. I hope he learns control, but when his control is that bad, I'm not banking on it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:12 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Bucfan- stop being such an apologist.

This will serve as one more reminder...the Pirates are not capable of good decisions. Until they sign CC and Manny, and trade Jack for ARod, they are not trying to win. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:15 pm 

BBF wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

This will serve as one more reminder...the Pirates are not capable of good decisions. Until they sign CC and Manny, and trade Jack for ARod, they are not trying to win. :roll:

We need a mega super Closer too...we need to sign Fransisco Rodriguez too...I bet if you threw in Paulino with Jack, the Pirates could get ARod, Jeter and get Nady back!!!...we're douche bags!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:19 pm 
BBF wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

He's not an apologist. An apologist is one who would claim that every personnel decision the Pirates make is a good decision. They make good and bad ones. I've seen Bucfan praise where deserved and criticize where deserved. That's a reasonable fan, not an apologist.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:32 pm 

Elmer wrote:
BBF wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

He's not an apologist. An apologist is one who would claim that every personnel decision the Pirates make is a good decision.

I have yet to see anyone make that claim.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:59 pm 

Elmer wrote:
A great arm is, well, great. But if you can't throw strikes with it, the great arm has zero value. I hope he learns control, but when his control is that bad, I'm not banking on it.

Are we talking about Evan Meek here . . . or Craig Hansen?

Or both? :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:19 pm 

I cant imagine a time when our minor leagues will be stocked with fast track, cant miss pitching prospects. So short of that, turning kids with electric arms into projects makes alot of sense, even if most of them dont pan out. Not that Hansen or Meek are nearly as good, but it even took Koufax forever to stop giving away free passes like it was candy at Halloween. Point is, sometimes guys can figure it out, and when that guy can throw in the mid 90s its worth finding out if he'll be one of them. Given our circumstances, mining for gold has to be part of an overall strategy and, lets face it, its one of the reasons a GM was hired whose primary talent is talent evaluation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:20 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Elmer wrote:
A great arm is, well, great. But if you can't throw strikes with it, the great arm has zero value. I hope he learns control, but when his control is that bad, I'm not banking on it.

Are we talking about Evan Meek here . . . or Craig Hansen?

Or both? :(

Meek, but this criticism is certainly applicable to Hansen as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:59 pm 

Meek and Hansen are similar in several respects. Both throw serious heat, with a devastating slider, but have trouble staying in the strike zone.

If these guys can just replicate their deliveries, they can predict where the ball will go. Their problems with control are related in large part to the fact that they change their arm angle just a touch on delivery, or stride just a few inches short or long. These very minor inconsistencies pull the ball outside, or cause it to run too far inside, etc.

And these issues can be corrected with a good pitching coach and some confidence by the pitchers in their instructors.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:04 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I wonder is Kerrigan's hiring has anything at all to do with an ability to work with Hansen?

I doubt it, but the topic might make for a good 5-7 pages.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:11 pm 
Bucfan wrote:
Meek and Hansen are similar in several respects. Both throw serious heat, with a devastating slider, but have trouble staying in the strike zone.

If these guys can just replicate their deliveries, they can predict where the ball will go. Their problems with control are related in large part to the fact that they change their arm angle just a touch on delivery, or stride just a few inches short or long. These very minor inconsistencies pull the ball outside, or cause it to run too far inside, etc.

And these issues can be corrected with a good pitching coach and some confidence by the pitchers in their instructors.

Bucfan, are you talking about, gasp, observations? Observations you've made in their deliveries? That is blasphemy. Stats tell the whole picture and the stats for these two pitches are not good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:27 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Bucfan, are you talking about, gasp, observations? Observations you've made in their deliveries? That is blasphemy. Stats tell the whole picture and the stats for these two pitches are not good.

The stats unfortunately show that Hansen walked ... let's see, I need to look it up. Okay, here it is, according to the Pirates' official web site, Hansen is noted as having walked "a zillion guys."

That sounds like a lot.