Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:25 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:28 pm
Posts: 1359
Please don't think for one second that I am making any career comparisons here, but I just watched the Marte hit in slow motion and what I saw was Roberto...front foot out too soon, but those strong, quick hands going down and slapping a single off his shoe tops. Like I said...no further comparison, but I think we have a keeper.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:25 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2053
He certaintly has all the tools to have an unbelievable career in this great game. Early on teams will make adjustments and he'll go through slumps but with talent like his I don't see him slowing down.

Quite a nice outfield us burgh fans have a cooking.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3350
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
I really enjoy watching him like I do with Cutch. And, yes, he does remind me of Clemente. I do believe Marte is a special player.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:20 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2214
His arm reminds me of Clemente.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:51 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 903
I just wish that he was like other teams superstars and was able to be at this point 4 years ago. He will be 25 at the end of the season and we are still talking about how he is going to have a nice career, true superstars (like cutch) are having nice careers by the age of 25.

Not trying to be down, it just seems that the pirates never get guys that bloom young.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6215
Nice at bat on the single up the middle off of a breaking ball last night..... 8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4842
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Nice at bat on the single up the middle off of a breaking ball last night..... 8-)


A two strike breaking ball at that!

_________________
#15 Kansas State Wildcats (1-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (0-1)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 6, 2014
11:00 AM CST
Fox Sports 1


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:09 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6215
After being in the hole 0-2 too.... 8-) 8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2053
He chased a fastball up and away protecting the plate in that at bat. The fact that he made contact with that pitch to stay alive tells me he has unbelievably quick hands. Cannot say enough about his speed and his gun for an arm.

When does he move to center? Does he while Cutch is in a bucs unifom?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:48 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6215
Nah..... 8-) 8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:57 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3575
Location: Economy, PA
rellimie wrote:
I just wish that he was like other teams superstars and was able to be at this point 4 years ago. He will be 25 at the end of the season and we are still talking about how he is going to have a nice career, true superstars (like cutch) are having nice careers by the age of 25.

Not trying to be down, it just seems that the pirates never get guys that bloom young.


We finally get a stud player to come up out of our minor leagues and you are complaining because he is already 24. Please enlighten me. Why is that a problem?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:20 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 903
Ralphie wrote:
rellimie wrote:
I just wish that he was like other teams superstars and was able to be at this point 4 years ago. He will be 25 at the end of the season and we are still talking about how he is going to have a nice career, true superstars (like cutch) are having nice careers by the age of 25.

Not trying to be down, it just seems that the pirates never get guys that bloom young.


We finally get a stud player to come up out of our minor leagues and you are complaining because he is already 24. Please enlighten me. Why is that a problem?


I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I am glad he is here and I am glad he is 24. By no means though is he a stud......yet. In a couple of years IF he becomes a stud he will be 27. I just wish ore players would bloom younger like McCutchen, that is all. It's more of an observation than a complaint.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:56 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5529
He belongs in AAA.

What?

Bottom 8th GW HR?!

M-V-P! M-V-P!!!

:lol:

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:20 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6215
I think any questions about whether he is for real may be a moot point..... :) :) :)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10582
Marte has hit everywhere he has played - including the major leagues. The guy has a very good swing, plus speed, and some pop.

Walker is heating up.

McCutchen is still a superb hitter.

Jones is starting to put some good at-bats together.

Once Alvarez starts to hit, the offense will be pretty darn good, I think.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5146
Location: Pittsburgh
bradf wrote:
Please don't think for one second that I am making any career comparisons here, but I just watched the Marte hit in slow motion and what I saw was Roberto...front foot out too soon, but those strong, quick hands going down and slapping a single off his shoe tops. Like I said...no further comparison, but I think we have a keeper.

I saw the same thing, Friday and Saturday. Way out in front, but he managed to wait and line singles both times.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5146
Location: Pittsburgh
rellimie wrote:
I just wish that he was like other teams superstars and was able to be at this point 4 years ago. He will be 25 at the end of the season and we are still talking about how he is going to have a nice career, true superstars (like cutch) are having nice careers by the age of 25.

Not trying to be down, it just seems that the pirates never get guys that bloom young.

Four years ago he was learning to eat American food for the first time. He didn't hit the in Dominican league until he was 19.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
buccosfan77 wrote:
He chased a fastball up and away protecting the plate in that at bat. The fact that he made contact with that pitch to stay alive tells me he has unbelievably quick hands. Cannot say enough about his speed and his gun for an arm.

When does he move to center? Does he while Cutch is in a bucs unifom?


That is an interesting question. Could go either way. Maybe we should put one of them in RF and the other in LF. They could cover so much ground and make up for the CF. LOL!

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1115
we need to sign him right now...if he has a breakout year and hits 310. 20 homers and 75 rbis from the leadoff spot than his price tag will go up dramatically..give him a 5 yr/30 million dollar deal now...i know they did that with tabata and it bit them in the butt but eveyone can see he has more of a ceiling than tabata and he does not have a 45 year old wife holding him down....by the way did you see tabata tatoo on his neck of red lips..yikes


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:22 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2451
Kind of like a permanent hickey, huh?

Anyway, Starling has always reminded me a bit of The Great One, just in his physical build, looks, the way he runs, and other little nuances. The throwback uniforms yesterday just made it downright creepy.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], rks, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits