Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greinke breaks collarbone in brawl
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:49 pm 

Baseball fights are usually safer than a trip to the mall, but not last night in the Dodgers-Padres game. Zack Greinke hit Carlos Quentin in the top of the 6th. Quentin and Greinke have a history, and Quentin took 2 or 3 steps towards the pitcher's mound but did so with limited interest before Greinke apparently said something to Quentin.

After Greinke said something, Quentin broke into a sprint and collided with Greinke at a good pace. Greinke lowered his left shoulder in the collision and suffered a broken left collarbone. He is out between 4 and 8 weeks, depending on the healing and rehab time.

Greinke now denies saying something but I saw his post-game interview, and Greinke acknowledged saying something to Quentin. When asked about what he said, Greinke responded, "I'll say what I said to him but not here."

Post subject: Re: Greinke breaks collarbone in brawl
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:03 pm 

Not condoning Quentin's actions but Grienke was looking to stir the pot. He immediately said something to Quentin and tossed his glove to the mound very quickly. I'm not shedding any tears for Grienke or the Dodgers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:04 pm 

Just our luck that would happen a week late.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
Just our luck that would happen a week late.

Nah, we still get full schadenfreude points out of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:47 pm 

As an educator for 30 years, I've had the opportunity to work with many "Asperger's" kids. They are wonderful people, but God bless 'em, they just have a natural talent for pissing people off. They are just blatantly honest about their feelings, and if you don't like it, tough.

I really doubt Greinke was throwing at Quentin in that situation. I thought it might be significant that Greinke had hit him twice before until I found out how often Quentin gets hit. Quentin didn't really have a gripe, but obviously Greinke said something to him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:42 pm 

Greinke did not throw at him intentionally. He would not do that in that situation. Hitters have all the advantage. Armor etc. Quentin crowds the plate and should expect to get hit. Must go with Greinke on this one despite his Dodger blue.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:55 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
I really doubt Greinke was throwing at Quentin in that situation. I thought it might be significant that Greinke had hit him twice before until I found out how often Quentin gets hit.

The 2009 beaning was intentional, IMO. Greinke drilled Quentin between the shoulder blades and the Royals catcher jumped from behind the plate immediately and grabbed Quentin, where he had not moved much towards the pitcher's mound - almost as if the catcher knew what was coming.

Quentin obviously remembered that event, and therefore was not willing to think of the game situation, score, etc. last night since he knew that Greinke had gone after him previously.

Also, Quentin was pissed and took a couple steps towards the mound but was not "charging" initially. Only after Greinke walked towards home plate and said something to Quentin did he charge Greinke.

Did Quentin erroneously believe the beaning was on purpose in that situation? Yes.

Did Quention overreact? Clearly.

Did Greinke play a huuuuge part in the brawl by forgetting that he beaned Quentin intentionally in 2009, and then walking towards the plate, and then saying something to Quentin? Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm 

Can't help but wonder if this fight and resulting injury will have an effect on this weekend's series. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:23 pm 

Sucks for Grienke, but screw the Doyers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:41 am 

I got no problem with it. If you're going to throw at a guy, then run your mouth right afterwards, you deserve everything you get. No matter how big you are, or what kind of gear you're wearing, a baseball at 90 MPH is going to really hurt and could cause permanent damage. So be prepared for an ass kicking, and Greinke definitely knew it was coming.

It could of been an accident (especially given how often Quentin is hit), but the history and the fact that Greinke said something tells a different story. Regardless, I doubt Quentin wanted to break his collarbone, shit happens. If Greinke had broke Quentin's collarbone with the pitch he hit him with, we wouldn't even be talking about it right now.