Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Diamondbacks 4/10/13
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:29 am 

Leway512 wrote:
But on the optimistic side, AJ Burnett had a similar start to this early in the season last year, then went on to pitch like an almost-ace most of the time. Lets not overreact yet.

Good advice.

And it's not like we haven't had any positives yet this season. We did take 2 of 3 from a pretty good Diamondbacks team. Marte is looking every bit the stud that BD thought he'd be, and while we got skunked in LA, we did face two of the five best arms in the NL. And tonight notwithstanding, we've pitched pretty well. As JC and I both posted, we've got The Gauntlet from Hell these first 34 games. It was always going to be a rocky start.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am 

TheShark wrote:
Ryann wrote:
OKAY this team obviously doesn't give a shit about winning...How is Jonathan Sanchez even on this team?!?! I don't care if we got hit by injuries shouldn't there be better internal options then brining in Jonathan Sanchez?

Funny how you wait until he has a bad game to make this post instead of criticizing the move at the time, or saying similar things when he delivered a great start against the Dodgers a week ago for the sole purpose of playing the idiotic "they don't want to win" card. Oh and brushing off the common sense reasoning by claiming that you simply "don't care" that there were two injuries that allowed him to make the team to try to augment your point. Yes, there are internal options, but Sanchez earned his spot over those guys in ST. I wasn't in favor of it, I would have taken my chances on McPherson, but it's not like it was an inexplicable move.

He wasn't good at all in spring training, how did that earn him a job in the rotation? Really do the pirates purposely make poor baseball decision, or is there just no one better? He was absolutely terrible last season. We signed him to a minor league deal, so obviously no one else had too much interest in the guy.

Doesn't it alarm you that we don't have internal options that NH has drafted in the last 5 years, for that starting spot? 5 years of drafting and we have NO pitchers that are major league ready (Except for possibly Gerrit Cole a #1 overall pick, hard to screw that one up). Really our best option is Jonathan freaking Sanchez that really goes to show you that this team has some serious issues.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:53 am 

Ryann wrote:
He wasn't good at all in spring training, how did that earn him a job in the rotation?

He earned the spot because he was better than his competition was in ST (McPherson). How much so and whether or not it was the right decision, that's debatable (as I said, I would have taken my chances on McPherson myself). But it's not like the decision made no sense. And once again, Liriano and Karstens aren't expected to be out very long and could be healthy by May. J. Sanchez is making a couple of fill-in starts before then. Not something to get outraged over.

Ryann wrote:
Doesn't it alarm you that we don't have internal options that NH has drafted in the last 5 years, for that starting spot?

No, because that isn't true. There are internal options of that variety like the one I mentioned in the original post that you ignored, McPherson, and others like Phil Irwin. Oh and another is currently the fifth starter. Just because Clint Hurdle chose to go with a veteran for a month instead doesn't mean the other options don't actually exist. Sanchez is a short-term temporary replacement, the others will have a better opportunity to help the team in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:01 am 

Quote:
No, because that isn't true. There are internal options of that variety like the one I mentioned in the original post that you ignored, McPherson, and others like Phil Irwin. Oh and another is currently the fifth starter. Just because Clint Hurdle chose to go with a veteran for a month instead doesn't mean the other options don't actually exist. Sanchez is a short-term temporary replacement, the others will have a better opportunity to help the team in the future.

Yeah, I don't think anyone in the Pirates organization is viewing Jon Sanchez as anything but a short term fix. If McPhereson dominates for a month in AAA, it's hard to believe they'll keep Sanchez in there over him. Karstens/Liriano still have to get healthy, then they still have to rehab and everything, who knows when they'll be back in the rotation. And who knows what we'll get out of Liriano to begin with? He might be no better than Sanchez.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
and behind door #2, the other pitcher who has no business being on a major league roster.

Come on, bring up Morris.

With you on both guys. I've never understood their fascination with Leroux. He had, what, a two week period two years ago where he was good and suddenly people acted like he was the next coming of...well, someone he's not. I don't get it. Bring a couple of the young guys up and find out about them. We've found out all we need to know about these clowns!

Leroux was much more interesting when he was throwing 93.7 back in 2011. Now he is at 91-92 and its like they are grasping at hope that the velocity will come back. Its really hard to make a decent argument for Sanchez, Lerous, and Gomez when you have Irwin, KMac, Morris, Black, and Welker all available. I continue to be puzzled about NH's reluctance to see what mid-level prospects can do prior to having to make roster decisions on them. As the season move forward it will get tougher to find starts for guys and the pen will occupied by combinations of Morton, Karstens, Liriano, and Cole. This is the time to see what the mid-level guys can do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:04 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I continue to be puzzled about NH's reluctance to see what mid-level prospects can do prior to having to make roster decisions on them. As the season move forward it will get tougher to find starts for guys and the pen will occupied by combinations of Morton, Karstens, Liriano, and Cole. This is the time to see what the mid-level guys can do.

This is the part I don't get either. It's hard to believe the production from your young guys would be any worse, and may be much better. It wouldn't make or break your season and it could give you some perspective on these guys.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:49 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I don't think anyone in the Pirates organization is viewing Jon Sanchez as anything but a short term fix. If McPhereson dominates for a month in AAA, it's hard to believe they'll keep Sanchez in there over him. Karstens/Liriano still have to get healthy, then they still have to rehab and everything, who knows when they'll be back in the rotation. And who knows what we'll get out of Liriano to begin with? He might be no better than Sanchez.

Isn't it bad that Jonathan Sanchez is our short term fix? We have other options? Please tell me these other options, they are likely just as depressing as sanchez. Again NH promised the Pirates would be a team that developed their own talent and wouldn't sign short term fixes. Thus far almost all of NH signings have been short term fixes JUST LIKE david littlefield. Has NH even provided one major league starting pitcher that he actually drafted? Actually the best

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm 

Oh look, Ryann is back........until we start winning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:05 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

We haven't been winning since I was born.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 pm 

Ryann wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:07 am 

Ryann wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

You went noticeably absent from May-mid August last year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:59 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
Ryann wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

You went noticeably absent from May-mid August last year.

That is incorrect I was active especially around the Pirates inactive trade deadline.