Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shortstops on the Move
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:11 pm 

Khalil Greene traded to St. Louis and Renteria signs with San Fran...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp
Quote:
In a slow-moving market, the Cardinals are acting quickly. St. Louis answered the biggest question in its 2009 lineup on Thursday, trading for Padres shortstop Khalil Greene. A day earlier, the Cards signed reliever Trever Miller to a one-year contract.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp
Quote:
They hiked their total free-agent signings to three, more than any other club this offseason, by securing shortstop Edgar Renteria on Thursday with a two-year, $18.5 million contract with an option for a third year. San Francisco already has bolstered its bullpen by signing left-hander Jeremy Affeldt and right-hander Bobby Howry.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Shortstops on the Move
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:10 pm 

Scratching my head on the Renteria signing. Is SF trying to knock off Seattle as the most expensive bad team in baseball?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:23 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

See, it wasn't really DL's fault. He was possessed by the evil, bad UFA demon who is now channeled to the next GM.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:59 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Scratching my head on the Renteria signing. Is SF trying to knock off Seattle as the most expensive bad team in baseball?

The really absurd part is that the Renteria signing actually makes them younger.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:08 pm 

They could improve their team significantly if they let Renteria pitch and Zito play short.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The Giants just (re)signed Atlee Hammaker to a two year deal...

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:18 pm 

Im a Buccos fan til death, but I always pull for the Giants because I hate the Dodgers so much. Im sure i'm not the only one here who feels this way. Breaks my heart to watch the Bay Area guys being run by semi-moronic chimpanzees.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:55 pm 

The Renteria signing smacks of a Brian Sabean move, and yet I could have sworn that he was fired this past season. Am I wrong, or does his ghost still haunt the Giants?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:23 am 

Willton wrote:
The Renteria signing smacks of a Brian Sabean move, and yet I could have sworn that he was fired this past season. Am I wrong, or does his ghost still haunt the Giants?

Renteria is atleast an upgrade over Omar Vizquel...Too many base runners were complaining about getting spiked with his walker last season

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 pm 

Willton wrote:

Don't know where that idea came from, but as of this morning Sabean was still running baseball operations in San Francisco.

From a Winter Meetings preview in today's Boston Sunday Globe:

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO: Brian Sabean has started to rebuild the back end of his bullpen by signing lefty Affeldt and righty Bob Howry, and he inked shortstop Edgar Renteria to a two-year, $18.5 million deal. He'll try to upgrade at third base. He's been in talks with the Marlins on Jorge Cantu but he'd also consider a deal for Adrian Beltre. Sabean would also like a power-hitting outfielder; Burrell, possibly Ramírez, and Ibanez could be on his list. The hometown tug on Sabathia is also there. If that should happen, it would be the only way Sabean makes righty Matt Cain available in a big deal for hitting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:09 pm 

One less suitor for Jack.

Orioles Sign Izturis

I'm beginning to think that Jack's extension, not Matt Morris, was the biggest albatross NH inherited from Littlefield.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:11 pm 
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:

Orioles Sign Izturis

I'm beginning to think that Jack's extension, not Matt Morris, was the biggest albatross NH inherited from Littlefield.

Worse that Morris? I disagree there. Jack is overpaid but at least he's a competent major league shortstop. Morris wasn't competent or even "bad" ... he was awful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:13 pm 

Elmer wrote:

Orioles Sign Izturis

Worse that Morris? I disagree there. Jack is overpaid but at least he's a competent major league shortstop. Morris wasn't competent or even "bad" ... he was awful.

Yeah, but the Morris situation sorted itself out fairly quickly and painlessly. Morris knew he was done and did the right thing and retired. Imagine if NH had had to shop that contract around.

It's going to be difficult to convince any one to take on Jack's contract for his level of production, and get anything of value in return.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:23 pm 

Orioles Sign Izturis

The contract was backloaded. That's why he is making what he is right now because he was making less before.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:23 pm 
Elmer wrote:

Orioles Sign Izturis

Yeah, but the Morris situation sorted itself out fairly quickly and painlessly. Morris knew he was done and did the right thing and retired. Imagine if NH had had to shop that contract around.

It's going to be difficult to convince any one to take on Jack's contract for his level of production, and get anything of value in return.

We agree there. It will be very hard to shop Jack. As a player, alone -- money aside -- I don't think he's horrible.

It seems as if the Pirates are going to have to live with the salary no matter what. At least there's some return on that money if you have a good fielding shortstop who can hit at least a little.

I'd rather not have the contract, don't get me wrong, but I don't think (from a pure on-field sense) that having Jack Wilson as your shortstop as THAT bad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:52 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
The contract was backloaded. That's why he is making what he is right now because he was making less before.

And that's why structuring contracts to pay people more $$$ as they're more likely to decline is generally a bad idea.

Elmer wrote:
I'd rather not have the contract, don't get me wrong, but I don't think (from a pure on-field sense) that having Jack Wilson as your shortstop as THAT bad.

I agree in the sense that I think Jack has more value here than he does on the open marketplace. But if I were NH I'd be busting my ass to send Jack, Pearce & $$ to Minn for Delmon Young.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:07 pm 

But if I were NH I'd be busting my ass to send Jack, Pearce & $$ to Minn for Delmon Young.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not saying I want the Pirates to acquire a bunch of "bad seeds", but they aren't in a position to turn away good players because they have some "issues". This is a deal I would love to see get done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:54 pm 
PirateParrot wrote:
But if I were NH I'd be busting my ass to send Jack, Pearce & $$ to Minn for Delmon Young.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not saying I want the Pirates to acquire a bunch of "bad seeds", but they aren't in a position to turn away good players because they have some "issues". This is a deal I would love to see get done.

I agree with your "bad seed" take. Tabata could have been viewed as a bad seed. I still have some concerns, but I sure have no problem with rolling the dice on a guy who has talent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:20 pm 

Izturis signed with Baltimore, and Furcal signed with Atlanta

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3772769

Quote:
The Orioles filled their hole at shortstop, agreeing Tuesday to a $5 million, two-year contract with free agent Cesar Izturis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3772806
Quote:
The Atlanta Braves have reached preliminary agreement on a multiyear contract with free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal, a baseball source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

The deal is pending completion of a physical exam.

The source said the agreement was finalized in a phone call from Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, to Atlanta general manager Frank Wren on Tuesday morning.

A club spokesman said an announcement has yet to be scheduled.

The Furcal deal talks about a possible Escobar trade...Is there anyone Atlanta might be interested in for him?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:30 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

The Furcal deal talks about a possible Escobar trade...Is there anyone Atlanta might be interested in for him?

If Atlanta is smart, they shift Escobar to second and Johnson to the outfield, so that when Furcal gets injured in April, they can shift everyone back...