Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Teke right?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:50 pm 

Basically what Teke said on the Pregame show the other day is that because of the Pirates poor offense at the beginning of the season last year, the starting pitching collapsed at the end of the season. The starting pitching had to be so good at the beginning of season (because of the poor offense), it took it's toll on them and that's the reason why they pitched so poorly at the end of the season.

Of course, the offense also took a nose dive at the end of the season last year.

Does anyone buy that? This season is starting out the same way! :roll:

Post subject: Re: Is Teke right?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:11 pm 

I don't buy it. Come May and June, the offense was bashing the ball, then the pitching got REAL bad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:13 pm 

I'm just a fan, a mere observer but I'm gonna say something that might seem shocking to some. The bucs offense wasn't what everyone thinks it was last summer during the middle of the year. The run inflation was due to high homerun totals, a mirage, something I doubt this team will reproduce. The batting average was still average at best during the run surge. Pedro's numbers will drop beacause hes a swing and miss guy and lets be honest due we expect Cutch to hit that number every year. Jones numbers will also fall because of the platoon with Sanchez.

The pitching has been good and hopefully it stays that way. 1 and 2 are solid veterans. 3 is still to be determined. 4 is a long reliever. 5 isn't ready for this stage. Got to get some starters healthy. The bullpen has been good.

This team played way over there heads last year.

I'll aways be a bucs fan but reality is reality.

In closing I think the pitching will be good up till the break but with movement as the pirates will be well out of contention.

The offense, well below average with the occasional outburst but nothing like last year. Not even close.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:34 pm 

Teams started pitching around Cutch, thats when the offense faltered.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:52 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Basically what Teke said on the Pregame show the other day is that because of the Pirates poor offense at the beginning of the season last year, the starting pitching collapsed at the end of the season. The starting pitching had to be so good at the beginning of season (because of the poor offense), it took it's toll on them and that's the reason why they pitched so poorly at the end of the season.

Of course, the offense also took a nose dive at the end of the season last year.

Teke's full of crap on that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:03 am 
 WWW  Profile

If a team like the Tigers scored 10 runs in a game, I don't think Justin Verlander mails it in so as not to collapse down the stretch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:45 am 

I dunno.

We know that pitchers perform better when they are loose and confident. Actually, that's true of performance for most endeavors. If a pitcher feels that every pitch could win or lose the game, they're going to feel a lot more pressure. And most people crack as pressure increases. Seems to me that Teke's got a valid point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
If a team like the Tigers scored 10 runs in a game, I don't think Justin Verlander mails it in so as not to collapse down the stretch.

Verlander is a poor example since its well known that he doesn't throw as hard as he can at times and saves himself for big spots. Of course, he's a freak of nature.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:06 am 

sisyphus wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

Teke's full of crap on that.

Yep full of crap, confirmation bias.

AJ didn't collapse last year and they still lost his starts. They were finding all kind of ways to lose late last year - it was bullpen, key injuries, SP, and hitting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 am 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Verlander is a poor example since its well known that he doesn't throw as hard as he can at times and saves himself for big spots. Of course, he's a freak of nature.

You're a poor example!