Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The time is now....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:02 am 

Jameson Taillon for Jurickson Profar. Rangers just extended Andrus 8 years, Kinsler extended last year too. It rarely happens, but a prospect for prospect trade makes sense for both teams.

Post subject: Re: The time is now....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:42 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Jameson Taillon for Jurickson Profar. Rangers just extended Andrus 8 years, Kinsler extended last year too. It rarely happens, but a prospect for prospect trade makes sense for both teams.

If I'm the Pirates, I make that deal in a heartbeat. A 5-tool middle infielder has more value than a starting pitcher, every day. Further, Profar is actually at a higher level than Taillon.

Rangers would demand more. If I am Huntington, I would not give Taillon AND Cole for Profar, but Rangers are not likely to deal for much less than that.

Perhaps Taillon, Hansen and Kingman? Something like that?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:20 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:

I'd give Taillon and Alan Hanson in a heartbeat for Profar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:41 am 

If the Pirates trade Taillon and Hansen how will they land Stanton? :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:27 am 
 WWW  Profile

Was thinking the same thing Sunday night. They should at least inquire as to what it would take.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:38 pm 

Stop living in fantasy land, top prospect swaps don't happen. Teams love their own top prospects more than anyone else does and thus values never match up. The Rangers have no reason to trade Profar, they have plenty of holes in their lineup. Even if they did want to trade the best commodity in the game, it ain't gonna be for a pitching prospect, it would be for an established superstar young player. Why on Earth would the Rangers want prospects back? They have a perennial top 3 system. You want Profar, offer them McCutchen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:55 pm 

^^^Agreed. Prospect for prospect doesn't make sense. If he's moved, it's going to be for a help-now piece. Funny Stanton should be mentioned in this thread, since he could very well be the one Profar ends up netting. If not, the Rangers don't have to trade him at all. This isn't football, where you draft a great QB prospect when you already have an elite QB in his prime. There's 7 other positions out there after SS. A true 5 tool player can play any of them with success.

Plus, our M.O. is to trade for formerly great prospects who haven't quite worked out in the MLB. So if anything, look for us to acquire Justin Smoak sometime before the deadline this year. I actually made that trade in one of my Show franchises, I believe it was Garrett Jones (who was having a career year) for Smoak straight up. And Smoak went on to suck for me.

The problem here is that Mercer/dArnaud suck so badly that they can't even play over Clint Barmes. The solution isn't to try and trade for guys they have no way of ever getting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:03 pm 

Leway512 wrote:

The problem here is that Mercer/dArnaud suck so badly that they can't even play over Clint Barmes.

How would we know? You may be exactly right, but neither was given enough of a chance(Mercer really got no chance) to prove that point.

And for the record, I agree that we need to stop thinking someone is trading one of the best prospects in baseball. I heard one of the national media members(can't remember who) trying to stir up rumors of St. Louis trading Tavares for Profar. That would make more sense than trading him for a AA pitching prospect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:08 pm 

The Cardinals have been "trading" for every SS in baseball since Furcal's injury made the news. They probably don't acquire a big time SS at all, it's just media speculation.

I saw nothing about dArnaud that made me think he could be an answer at SS, his bat looked worse than Barmes. And he couldn't field nearly as well. Mercer, from my understanding, does have some pop in his bat. But is he an every day SS? The Pirates obviously don't think so, since like you said, he's never even been given a legit shot. I just feel like if Mercer was anything special, he'd be our starting SS by now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:10 pm 

I read an article about the Andrus signing saying one of the options now is to trade Profar for David Price or Giancarlo Stanton. Maybe the guy, who was a national guy, is way off, but maybe not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:21 pm 

Thought I read somewhere that Price was working out an extension to stay in TB, though I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:16 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I read an article about the Andrus signing saying one of the options now is to trade Profar for David Price or Giancarlo Stanton. Maybe the guy, who was a national guy, is way off, but maybe not.

That isn't way off, that's exactly what it would take, a young superstar player. Like I said, think McCutchen, not prospect A through C.