Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Countdown 2013 version
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:43 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
The importance of the number 3. 3 series left. 3 important games on tap.

Johnny. Ray.

Dale Earnhart and Babe Ruth?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:54 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Corsair wrote:
Dale Earnhart and Babe Ruth?

ImageImage Image + Image

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:39 pm 

And then there were 2. 2 series left to determine our beloved Buccos' fate this year. Will they pull off a miracle and catch the Cardinals? Will they host a wild card game? Will they stay in Cincinnati for a wild card game? Will they travel to St. Louis for a wild card game? Or . . . will the Ghost of Sid Bream intervene and torture us with a collapse that will forever live in the annals of baseball lore?

Trying to take a "half glass full" approach to the Bucs' current situation. Yeah, they didn't win on Friday but . . . they were in relative control of the game for 8 and 2/3 innings. That is as close as you can get to a "W" and not have one show up in the standings the following day. Liriano was good; really good and he'd face the Reds in a wildcard game. Burnett followed that up with a strong performance and the Bucs generated just enough offense to turn the tide. Jeff Locke is done and the Reds tatooing him really means nothing other than another "L" in the standings. I'd be far more concerned if the Reds hung 5 on Liriano in the first inning.

Where do they go from here? Let's face it. The Cubs are not a good team. Second worst record in the NL. The way I see it - playoff mentality starts tonight. Bucs win this series and they control their destiny to get at least a home game for a wild card game. Even if Cincinnati sweeps the Mets, the Bucs get home field advantage for the wild card game if they take the series against the Reds. Similarly, even if the Bucs sweep the Cubs, the Reds can get home field advantage for the wild card game if they take the series against the Pirates.

Bottom line? The Bucs can't afford to lose a series against a 65-91 Cubs team. A team that is trending downward. They cannot afford to look past the Cubs to the upcoming weekend. They need to take care of what is staring them directly in the face. And it has to start tonight.

I'm holding out hope that the Nats pull off a few big wins over the next couple of nights and that the Mets reach out and bite the Reds. But I'm not holding my breath. The realist in me is looking for three solid games. Strong starting pitching. Fast starts from the offense and comfortable wins. Build some momentum for the last regular season series of the year.

Haven't done it much this year but I'll do it one last time. I'm predicting a sweep and I am basing that on what I expect from Morton, Cole and Liriano. The Cubs will be relatively disinterested; they are looking ahead at the Cardinals. The Bucs will still have to win the series in Cincy to host a wildcard game but the Reds will be facing a 92-67 Pirate team when the series starts on Friday.

Trends:
Cubs' last 10: 4-6; last 20: 10-10; last 30: 15-15
Pirates' last 10: 3-7; last 20: 7-13; last 30: 11-19

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Chicago Cubs - home - (65-91)
Pirates Current Record: 89-67
Number of series in 2013: 52
Series won: 27
Series swept: 8
Series lost: 18
Series in which they've been swept: 4
Series split: 5
Series played: 50
Home series played: 26
Home series won: 15
Home series lost: 9
Home series split: 2
Road series played: 24
Road series won: 12
Road series lost: 9
Road series split: 3
Overall series record: 27-18-5
Series remaining: 3[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:22 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
The Cubs will be relatively disinterested; they are looking ahead at the Cardinals. Series remaining: 3
[/quote]

Interesting, anyone else harboring the suspicion that the Cubs may mail it in for three games against the Bucs and play their hearts out in order to REALLY, REALLY, REALLY F**K the Cards over?

God, I hope so! :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:24 pm 

Well . . . here we are. 51 series down. 1 to go. 159 games in the books. 3 to play.

Against the Reds. Both teams have clinched a wild card berth. Pirates will throw Liriano in the wild card game; Reds will counter with Latos. The only remaining issue involves . . . where will that game be played?

Unfortunately, the road back to PNC Park was made all the more difficult when the offense couldn't score against Arrieta and Liriano brought his B- game to Wrigley Field. I'd feel eminently more confident if the Pirates needed to win one game to secure home field advantage as opposed to taking 2 of 3 in a bandbox of a baseball stadium against a team who wins at an impressive rate at home.

There really isn't much to add at this juncture. We all know what's on the line. There's no debating the importance of the series. At a minimum, we should see great baseball theatre over the next two games. Sunday could be amazing if the two teams split the first two games.

For me, I'll be keeping my eyes glued on four players: Burnett, McCutchen, Marte and Alvarez. They are the key. Will AJ be the rock solid veteran tonight or will he be the grouchy "things aren't going my way" pitcher that we've seen lately? The Bucs need 6 solid innings out of him tonight. They need him to have a strong feel for his pitches so that he isn't forced to pitch guys like Choo, Phillips, Votto, Bruce, Frazier and Ludwick from behind in the count. If we see AJ in a lot of 2-0 or 3-1 counts tonight, I forsee trouble - big trouble. As for the offense, I'd like to see Cutch "stay within himself." GABP may cause some players to get HR happy . . . I just want Cutch to focus on making solid contact and good things will follow. I want to see Marte get on base in any manner he can and create some havoc. And I want to see confident, purposeful PAs out of Alvarez. We saw some outstanding effort in Chicago in that regard and I'm hoping upon hope that he gets into one of his little "runs."

If we see those four players have a good series, I like the Pirates' chances . . . a lot.

When push comes to shove, I think that we will see a split of the first two games (I personally like our chances better on Saturday) and it will come down to Cueto and Cole for the home field advantage. If it comes down to that . . . it will be an incredible finish to a marvelous regular season - no matter who wins.

Buckle up fellow UPPMB members. This is what we've been waiting for. Enjoy. Let's hope for some fun this weekend.

Trends:
Reds' last 10: 6-4; last 20: 12-8; last 30: 17-13
Pirates' last 10: 4-7; last 20: 10-10; last 30: 15-15

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Cincinnati Reds - away - (90-69)
Pirates Current Record: 91-68
Series won: 28
Series swept: 8
Series played: 51
Road series played: 25
Road series won: 13
Overall series record: 28-18-5
Series remaining: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 pm 

Finish with a sweep . . . and clinch a home playoff game. Nice. Very nice.

Final series stats listed below.

Of note, the Pirates lost 9 home series and lost 9 road series.

They finished 15-9-2 in home series.
They finished 14-9-3 in road series.

Given those records, you wouldn't necessarily have expected them to be 19 games above .500 at home (50-31) and 7 games above .500 on the road (44-37).

I first started following the Pirates in 1978 when they made a strong run to catch the Phillies beginning in mid-August.

They won 98 in 1979.
They won 95 in 1990.
They won 98 in 1991.
They won 96 in 1992.

In my 35 years of following this team, this team posted the 5th best record. In 1979, I didn't have cable TV. In 1990-1992, they were shown fairly frequently on ESPN but there was no internet, there was no MLB.TV or MLB.com. I could occasionally get KDKA on a clear night and would go to a high place in town to listen to KMOX to listen to the Cards/Pirates games on the radio.

I can count the number of games that I have wholly missed on either TV or radio on my fingers and, possibly, a couple of toes. When you count MLB Gameday, I bet that I have "touched base" at some point during at least 158, if not all 162 games, to see what is going on.

Its been an unreal year and I'm thinking that it may be the best year of baseball that I have ever followed when you factor in the technology advances and access to games since 1992.

To all of the UPPMB members . . . its been a wonderful regular season and I'm very much looking forward to post-season banter for the first time since I first began posting in this community (including the predecessor www.sportsonly.com/10554 site) in 1999. I may not agree with all of your particular viewpoints on the game or game strategies (and vice versa!) but I relish the chance to share my views with a passionate group of fans who all want the same end result - a World Series Champion.

I've made some good friends over these past 14 years. I applaud all of you who have stuck it out and held firm to your fandom and realized that, at some point, greener pastures would arrive. There are some I don't miss (Gary, VOR, Bullishitter) but there are some that don't post here much (if at all) anymore. From the bottom of my heart, I hope that Van is still around and following the team. His Spring Training reports were the highlight of my mornings for a long time and, after my Dad died in 2001, Van sent me an extremely kind note in the mail. I hope this finds him well, healthy and able to enjoy winning baseball. I know that he'd enjoy it immensely.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Pirates Final Record: 94-68
Series won: 29
Series swept: 9
Series played: 52
Road series played: 26
Road series won: 14
Overall series record: 29-18-5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Great post, No. 9. The "Countdown" thread was one of my favorites during the season, especially the stretch run. Kudos!

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:07 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Great post, No. 9. The "Countdown" thread was one of my favorites during the season, especially the stretch run. Kudos!

I am in complete agreement with IA, 9. I expect the same next year. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:39 am 

I concur with the above kudos. Thanks for keeping track and organizing of all of this so I didn't have to :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:48 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Finish with a sweep . . . and clinch a home playoff game. Nice. Very nice.

Final series stats listed below.

Of note, the Pirates lost 9 home series and lost 9 road series.

They finished 15-9-2 in home series.
They finished 14-9-3 in road series.

Given those records, you wouldn't necessarily have expected them to be 19 games above .500 at home (50-31) and 7 games above .500 on the road (44-37).

I first started following the Pirates in 1978 when they made a strong run to catch the Phillies beginning in mid-August.

They won 98 in 1979.
They won 95 in 1990.
They won 98 in 1991.
They won 96 in 1992.

In my 35 years of following this team, this team posted the 5th best record. In 1979, I didn't have cable TV. In 1990-1992, they were shown fairly frequently on ESPN but there was no internet, there was no MLB.TV or MLB.com. I could occasionally get KDKA on a clear night and would go to a high place in town to listen to KMOX to listen to the Cards/Pirates games on the radio.

I can count the number of games that I have wholly missed on either TV or radio on my fingers and, possibly, a couple of toes. When you count MLB Gameday, I bet that I have "touched base" at some point during at least 158, if not all 162 games, to see what is going on.

Its been an unreal year and I'm thinking that it may be the best year of baseball that I have ever followed when you factor in the technology advances and access to games since 1992.

To all of the UPPMB members . . . its been a wonderful regular season and I'm very much looking forward to post-season banter for the first time since I first began posting in this community (including the predecessor http://www.sportsonly.com/10554 site) in 1999. I may not agree with all of your particular viewpoints on the game or game strategies (and vice versa!) but I relish the chance to share my views with a passionate group of fans who all want the same end result - a World Series Champion.

I've made some good friends over these past 14 years. I applaud all of you who have stuck it out and held firm to your fandom and realized that, at some point, greener pastures would arrive. There are some I don't miss (Gary, VOR, Bullishitter) but there are some that don't post here much (if at all) anymore. From the bottom of my heart, I hope that Van is still around and following the team. His Spring Training reports were the highlight of my mornings for a long time and, after my Dad died in 2001, Van sent me an extremely kind note in the mail. I hope this finds him well, healthy and able to enjoy winning baseball. I know that he'd enjoy it immensely.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Pirates Final Record: 94-68
Series won: 29
Series swept: 9
Series played: 52
Road series played: 26
Road series won: 14
Overall series record: 29-18-5

No. 9 -- You truly deserve to bask in the warm glow of the success of the 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates. I salute you, sir, and I thank you for providing so much great stuff to read throughout the season.

Now, let's #DeckTheCards today...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6