Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Countdown 2013 version
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:37 am 

The Bucs start their fourth 4 game series tonight after just completing thier third. So far . . . cannot argue with the results. The Bucs have won all three of their four game series and have posted a 9-3 record in those series. Curiously, the Bucs have dropped the first game in all of those series and have come back to win the final three games each time. Given that Matt Harvey was on tap yesterday and Gomez took the mound for the Pirates, I didn't hold out much hope. Baseball is a funny, funny game and the Bucs keep finding ways to win with a some key pieces missing.

Brewers have gone 1-8 since the Bucs left the House That Roids Built. Bucs have gone 5-4 since that ridiculously ugly series. Brewers are reeling. Bucs coming off of a big road series win. Brewers are likely licking their chops. Bucs are likely looking for some revenge. I'm looking for AJ Burnett (fresh off of the dissing given to him by Dan Patrick) to set the tone tonight with a big outing. In light of what's on tap after this series, I'd be tempted to write that a split with the hated Brewers would be acceptable. However, given the pitching match-ups, that Walker is coming back and we will hopefully see Martin behind the plate, I'm looking for a 3-1 record in this series. And, as hard as I am on Kdro at times, I think that we are going to see some HRs from him over the next four days. Strange as it may sound, I'm actually looking forward to this series. Looking for the Bucs to build on the weekend's momentum and to have their foot on the gas as they head into the final six games of what will - hopefully - be an incredibly productive ten game homestand. This homestand may very well set a tone for what we an expect to see for the balance of the year.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Milwaukee Brewers - Home - (15-20)
Pirates Current Record: 21-16
Number of series in 2013: 51
Series won: 6
Series swept: 1
Series lost: 4
Series in which they've been swept: 1
Series split: 2
Series played: 12
Home series played: 6
Home series won: 2
Home series lost: 2
Home series split: 2
Road series played: 6
Road series won: 4
Road series lost: 2
Road series split: 0
Overall series record: 6-4-2
Series remaining: 39

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 am 

What did Dan Patrick say about A.J. Burnett?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:11 am 

As ZM intimated after dropping the first game of the series, the Bucs had 'em right where they wanted 'em. According to script, the Bucs drop game #1 of the series only to take the next three. That makes the Bucs 4-0 in 4-game series thus far in 2013 and the Bucs have rebounded to win the final three games in each series after dropping the first game. Pure craziness.

Even though the Bucs were facing the Brewers, I thought that a 3-1 series was possible in light of (1) the pitching match-ups, (2) Walker's return, (3) Martin's return and (4) an anticipated hot streak by Alvarez. So . . . I guess that I went 3-1 as well. I'll take it. :lol: Given the history between the two clubs and the ridiculously poor effort on Monday, it was nice to see the Bucs refuse to fold up their tents and come back fighting.

So . . . the Houston Astros. What to write? A lousy ball club with a lousy record. Poor hitting. Poor pitching. Gomez, Burnett and Locke in line for starts - at PNC. This is a series that a "true" contending team has to win. As an example, the Reds just swept the inept Marlins. The Reds just showed how a contending team takes care of business against weaker opponents. The Bucs were 12-5 against the Astros last year and they need to take this series against the Astros. However, as the Tigers just learned, sweeping lousy teams is not a "given." (its the 54-54-54 principle). I'm looking for nothing worse than two wins against Houston. I'd love a sweep but I will not be dissatisfied with winning the series and heading into next week with a 26-18 record. Here's hoping that the Bucs don't rest on their laurels and feel as though they can simply put on a uniform and win. This is where guys like Burnett and Martin can be incredibly valuable. Keep everyone focused on the end game. Get out fast and keep the foot on the accelerator.

I'm also looking for this to be a series to get some guys back on track (ahem . . . that is primarily directed at you, Mr. Alvarez).

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Houston Astros - Home - (11-30)
Pirates Current Record: 24-17
Series won: 7
Series played: 13
Home series played: 7
Home series won: 3
Overall series record: 7-4-2
Series remaining: 38

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:57 pm 

Really mixed emotions about the last 3 games. Glass half full? Another series win. Played well enough to win all three games. Even horrid teams will win, on average, one out of three. Starting pitching was very solid. Glass half empty? Played well enough to lose all three. Winning a series against Astros is no great feat. Scored same number of runs as Astros in the 3 games. Hitting was lousy.

Conclusion? As I noted in last post, I'll take it. Particularly when you win a series and play lackluster baseball. Play like that against the Reds, Cardinals, Giants or Braves and you are looking at getting swept.

Don't look back. What's done is done. It is what it is. (Insert favorite cliche here) Move on and focus on the next opponent. Keep winning series; the record takes care of itself. Keep winning series and the team will be a playoff contender.

Off day tomorrow. Perhaps a good thing to allow the team to find their bats. Cubs are coming into town and their record was a bit better than I had realized. Szmardjia will throw on Wednesday and he always presents a problem. I'm looking for another series win. I'm looking for the Bucs to take two of three from the hated Cubs. Get some revenge for the opening series loss at PNC and, at a minimum, pull even with them for the year. Finish up the homestand at 7-3? Head out of town at 28-19? Where do I sign? I'd be quite happy with that result.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Chicago Cubs - Home - (18-25)
Pirates Current Record: 26-18
Series won: 8
Series played: 14
Home series played: 8
Home series won: 4
Overall series record: 8-4-2
Series remaining: 37

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:07 pm 

Sweep! Most excellent result. I'm not exactly thrilled with how the bats are performing but the pitching has been absolutely lights out. Can't argue with an 8-2 home stand. Absolutely fantastic. I can't think of anything that can break my good mood . . . .

. . . except for a trip to Miller Park. Hated Miller Park. The House that Roids Built. The Retractable Dome of Death. Ugh. The only good news about this trip to Miller Park is that the Brewers are in the midst of a 4-16 month of May in which they have been outscored by 41 runs. They looked lost in their latest loss - a drubbing handed to them by the Dodgers. Burnett v. Estrada; Locke v. Fiers; Rodriguez v. Gallardo. Estrada and Gallardo have given the Pirates fits. The Brewers' hitters mirror Gehrig, Ruth, Mantle and DiMaggio when the Bucs come to town. I may not sleep at all this weekend; I have awful nightmares watching Buc/Brewer games.

Predicting (or hoping) for anything better than one win against the Brewers in Milwaukee is pure folly. Thus, I'll take one win out of the next three games. Mind you, I won't be happy with a series loss. I simply want the Bucs to avoid a potentially disastrous start to a very difficult 13 game stretch. Going 1-2 in Milwaukee and heading to The Motor City with a record of 30-20 . . . I can live with that. I'd prefer 31-19 but I'm not going to be greedy.

And, oh yeah, there is only one more visit to Milwaukee after this series. We can all be thankful for that.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Milwaukee Brewers - Away - (18-27)
Pirates Current Record: 29-18
Series won: 9
Series swept: 2
Series played: 15
Home series played: 9
Home series won: 5
Overall series record: 9-4-2
Series remaining: 36

Last edited by No. 9 on Fri May 31, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

My reaction when I just heard the Pirates are on pace for 100 wins...

November 29, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:23 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
My reaction when I just heard the Pirates are on pace for 100 wins...

I'm confused, since you posted Keanu Reeves....

Since that pic is Reeves showing the full range of his acting emotions, does this mean you are stunned/shocked/surprised? Or does it mean that you were quietly confident????

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yes. That is the beauty of keanau. Reeves.

Pure Oscar.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 am 

Had our own version of "The Natural" beginning on Saturday morning. Woke up at 1:30 a.m. to what sounded like a bomb going off in the backyard . . . shortly after, fire trucks were at neighbor's house. Lightning strike hit neighbor and started a fire. The surge took out almost all of our electronics. Yesterday we learned (after my daughter was in the laundry room commenting about how nice and warm the floor was) that the surge blew open a hole in our gas line and we had the equivalent of several pilot lights going for 36 hours under our laundry room and kitchen. Gas lines need to be replaced and we've been told that they have to go into walls and ceilings to assess for damage. Feeling very fortunate to have a house standing . . . we are without gas, without home internet (using my phone as a hotspot) and without television. But . . . all are safe . . . and that is truly all that matters (closely followed by sticking the Brewers, of course)

So . . . wasn't paying very close attention to the games other having the radio broadcast as background noise. Suffice it to say - suck it Brewers! If what I saw of them against the Dodgers and what I heard from the Bucco announcers is indicative, they've thrown in the towel. Sounds like a dead team. Maybe Ron Roenecke (sp?) will be on the hot seat? Who knows? Who cares?

Heading to Motor City. First place Tigers. Front end of a home/home "double-header" over the next four days. Verlander and Porcello waiting in the wings. Liriano and Gomez on deck for the Pirates. Cabrera tearing the cover off the ball. DH in effect.

Yet . . . Cutch is on. Alvarez seems to be coming on. Walker hitting better. Marte may have woken up. Pitching continues to roll.

Pittsburgh media has jumped all over the upcoming schedule and noted that the Pirates have played the 10th easiest schedule in the majors thus far. Cue Gauntlet II. 1 series down . . . 1 series win . . . on the road . . . at a hated venue. Excellent start. Get one in Detroit and head home 32-20 after a split. Let's Go Bucs! Silence the doubters.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Detroit Tigers - Away - (28-20)
Pirates Current Record: 31-19
Series won: 10
Series played: 16
Road series played: 7
Road series won: 5
Overall series record: 10-4-2
Series remaining: 35

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:50 am 

Man, No. 9. Glad to see you are okay. Hope it all works out.

BB

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:48 am 
 WWW  Profile

O'm glad everyone is safe and the house is still standing No. 9. Whew!

Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:53 am 

Wow! Hang in there and don't light any candles. Hope everything works out. Insurance companies can be no fun.... ;) ;) ;) ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:46 pm 

Scary story, No. 9. Glad to hear your family is safe. Take care.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:24 am 

Road trip ends with Bucs winning one series and splitting the other. Finished set at 3-2. Against the hated Brewers and the first place Tigers. Nice. Very nice.

Pitching continues to amaze. There may actually be a day in June when I don't cringe with the thought of Gomez taking the bump. Absolute surprise story of the year. At worst, he has provided excellent pitching while keeping the spot warm for Morton to return. At best, he may pitch his way into the rotation for the remainder of the year. Great story.

Hitting? Eh, not so much. Like that stretch last year, this team seems to be relying an awful lot on the long ball to put runs on the board. And, IMO, that poses a sustainability/long term problem. This lineup simply is not talented enough to amass runs on a consistent basis through home runs. At some point, they must string hits together. I'm not knocking HRs; love 'em. Just being realistic. I'm not seeing a return of Murderer's Row.

In the 2 games against the Tigers, 29 of the 60 outs came via a strikeout. That's only forcing the opponent to get 50% of the outs via "real" defense.

When the Pirates put the ball in play (46 total times) against the Tigers, they reached safely 17 times. That's 37% of the time. If the Bucs could cut down the strikeouts by 50% and reach base 37% of the times that they put the ball in play, that's about 5 extra hits. Who knows what 5 extra hits could provide?

Back home. Burnett on the mound. Locke to follow. The back end of the home/home doubleheader with the Tigers. No DH. Looking for another strong Burnett outing. Looking for Cutch to have a big two game set. Looking for Alvarez to bounce one into the river. Looking for Jones to golf one out of the park. Looking for Marte to stir the drink. Looking for the locals to fill the park and to be loud.

I'm calling another split. Bucs will be 33-21 when the Reds roll (and they are "rolling") into Pittsburgh for what better be three straight sell-out crowds.

And, oh yeah, the 2013 Pirates join the '91 Bucs and the '99 Bucs as the only squads in team history to post 17 wins in May. Sitting on 32 wins as of May 28th. Pretty sure that is a franchise record (although other squads have reached 32 wins in fewer games). Whether this is sustainable is a fair question. What's not debatable is whether this is a historic start for this team. That's become a given.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Detroit Tigers - Home - (29-21)
Pirates Current Record: 32-20
Series won: 10
Series split: 3
Series played: 17
Road series played: 8
Road series split: 1
Overall series record: 10-4-3
Series remaining: 34

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:41 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
In the 2 games against the Tigers, 29 of the 60 outs came via a strikeout. That's only forcing the opponent to get 50% of the outs via "real" defense.

When the Pirates put the ball in play (46 total times) against the Tigers, they reached safely 17 times. That's 37% of the time.

Those stats are amazing and they make it hard to tell if it's more indicative of the Pirates Problems or Tigers genius (maybe both?).

The Tigers know their D is average (at best) and have assembled a nice collection of high K SP's.

The Pirates played right into that strength.

Glad they managed to split.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:29 am 

Quick reconciliation here . . . when I started this thread, I apparently counted the last 4 games as one four game series as opposed to two separate two game series. But . . . because I have broken down the series into home/away sets, I'm counting the games with the Tigers as two separate series. Thus, the Bucs have a total 52 series this year, not 51 as I originally posted. There are 34 series remaining in the season.

I've often written of the 54-54-54 principle. Last night marked the completion of the first one-third of the season. If you extrapolate (for merely illustrative purposes), the Bucs could be expected to win 18, lose 18 and the "other 18" would mark where the team stands. Using their current record, the Bucs went 16-2 in the "other 18." An amazing 1/3 of the season.

For symmetry purposes, let's count the games with the Tigers as one series. That would mean that the Bucs have not only played exactly one-third of their games but also completed exactly one-third (17) of their series for the year (51). They went 10-4-3 in those series, including 10-2-3 after losing the first two series of the year. Again . . . a fantastic 1/3 of the season.

The Bucs have now played the same team for four straight games on five separate instances this year. In those instances, the Bucs have won 3 of 4 in all five instances after losing the first game of the set. How fun is that?

Going toe-to-toe with defending AL champs and currently AL Central leaders. Taking 3 games out of 4? Taking both games at PNC Park? Shutting down that offense? I feel bad for those who can't look past "advanced metrics" and sustainability questions to enjoy what has been a historic start for the Pittsburgh Baseball Club. The season consists of 162 separate contests and the games are played by humans on dirt and grass. And . . . thus far . . . those wearing "P"s on their hats have supplied an awfully fun and entertaining first 54 games. Might they lose 3 of 4 against the Cardinals in August? Maybe. But . . . I'm not obsessing about that right now. Might Melancon and Grilli regress? Maybe. But . . . I'm not pulling my hair out or stewing over that right now. I'm enjoying the ride - with its ups (many so far) and downs (few so far).

Reds coming to town. I believe that the Reds are best of class in not just the NL Central but also the NL. Cueto, Leake and Latos. Bucs' lineup has had its issues previously with both Cueto and, if memory serves correctly, Latos. Reds' lineup is, as we know, also impressive. Reds likely looking to avenge the earlier sweep. I'm going to predict that the Bucs take two this weekend. Big crowds on Friday and Sunday. Some bats will wake up. Pitching will be solid. Games will be nail biters. Here's to hoping that, yet once again, we only see Chapman in mop up duty.

So . . . let's compare 2013 to 2012.

In 2012, the Bucs finished their 17th series on May 30th (against the Reds). Their overall record was 25-25. Their series record was 7-7-2. In 2013, they are 34-20 and 11-4-3. So far, advantage 2013.

Bring on the next series!

EDIT: Oh yeah . . . I fully expect and predict that some killjoy is going to write about the likely smaller crowd at PNC Park on Saturday when the Pens are playing. About how this is a huge series for the Pirates against a division rival who is currently neck-and-neck with the Pirates near the top of the NL Central and how the two teams are sporting two of the best records in the majors. About how, despite the importance of the series, that the Pens are the team in town that really "matters" and how the Pirates only draw flies. Or something to that extent . . .

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Cincinnati Reds - Home - (33-21)
Pirates Current Record: 34-20
Number of series in 2013: 52
Series won: 11
Series swept: 3
Series played: 18
Home series played: 10
Home series won: 6
Overall series record: 11-4-3
Series remaining: 34

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:54 pm 

Whew. What was looking like a rather demoralizing sweep at the hands of division rival and NL powerhouse Cincinnati turned into the salvage of Game #3 of the set. While I will admit that I'm never happy when the Bucs lose a three game series, dropping one game in the standings is far more favorable than dropping three games in the standings.

Big picture? Three straight series against first place (or first place contending) teams. 3-1 against Detroit. 1-2 against Cincinnati. 4-3 overall. On to Atlanta to face the hated Braves who appear to be the class of the NL East (notwithstanding the Upton brothers deciding to go cold at the bat). The good news? (1) The Braves offense isn't exactly tearing the cover off the ball right now; (2) The Braves are a free-swinging high-K offense which might play well into at least Burnett and Rodriguez's hands; if Locke can get some off-speed stuff working, he might K a few as well and (3) this marks the end of the Bucs playing the Braves this year. The bad news? (1) The games are in Atlanta and the Buc offense is not hitting on anything resembling "all cylinders."

The offense needs to get A.J. some help tonight. We need to get him some runs and we need for him to go deep into the game. Rest the bullpen. Tuesday's matchup against young lefties (Locke and Minor) may prove to be particularly entertaining. The series is capped with an afternoon matchup where the veteran Rodriguez goes against the youngster Teheran. Thursday will be a off day which will allow for Liriano to pitch on Friday and A.J. to pitch on normal rest.

Although I have no business feeling optimistic in light of the lack of offensive output, I'm putting my money on the Bucs taking 2 of 3 heading into the off day. They'll head to the (hopefully) Friendly Confines with a record of 37-23. Meanwhile, perhaps the top two teams in the NL West can throw us Bucco fans a bone by winning their respective series.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Atlanta Braves - Away - (34-22)
Pirates Current Record: 35-22
Series lost: 5
Series played: 19
Home series played: 11
Home series lost: 3
Overall series record: 11-5-3
Series remaining: 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:52 pm 

Just finished reading the entire thread. Sorry about your home emergency and glad everyone is ok.
This is a very enjoyable recap of the season so far. Of course the entertainment value is significantly increased by the record so far. Your work here is very much appreciated by me and I would guess many other posters. So, THANKS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:54 pm 

Well . . . ain't that a kick in the freaking stones? Talk about a serious buzzkill. Game #1 - umpires squeeze the crap out of Burnett. Game #2 - blow a 2 run lead fairly late in the game. Game #3 - Wandy's elbow explodes. Ok . . . it didn't explode but the tea leaves I'm reading don't leave me with warm fuzzies. Swept in Atlanta. That is not going to be a happy flight into O'Hare this afternoon. Not at all.

That being written, I just looked outside and confirmed that the sky had not fallen. All teams have a tough stretch and we can take some solace in the fact that this stretch just happened to come against two teams that will be contending for the NL crown. It happens. Can't change the past. Move on.

How about the Chicago Cubs to salve the wound? Sounds good to me. Liriano, Burnett and Locke. A hitter friendly ballpark to aid the Bucs' woe-is-me offense. McCutchen loves hitting against the Cubs. Jones loves to hit in front of his hometown buddies. Walker has had plenty of heroics at Wrigley. Alvarez will be looking to knock out a window in a brownstone on Ashland Avenue.

Still 10 games above .500. Finished a stretch against top flight competition at 4-6. Not great but certainly not death. Just take care of business against the Cubs. That's what good teams do. Gut check time. Bucs will get at least two this weekend and will enjoy an off day in the 'Burgh with a record of 37-26 as they get ready to face the Dodgers and Giants.

Very much looking forward to raising a cold one with IA Pirate on Saturday afternoon at the Friendly Confines . . .

Everyone take a deep breath, relax and enjoy tomorrow's off day. (I, for one, need a day to decompress).

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Chicago Cubs - Away - (23-33)
Pirates Current Record: 35-25
Series lost: 6
Series in which they've been swept: 2
Series played: 20
Home series played: 11
Home series lost: 3
Road series played: 9
Road series lost: 3
Overall series record: 11-6-3
Series remaining: 32

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:42 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
Very much looking forward to raising a cold one with IA Pirate on Saturday afternoon at the Friendly Confines . . .

I'm very excited as well! Do you happen to know what hotel the team stays at in Chicago? I'm assuming somewhere around the Mag Mile? It would be great to bump into some friendly faces and maybe get a picture or two. Yup, I may stalk the team.

Fox Sports 1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next