Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't look now . . .
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:59 am 

I'm hearing more and more "national" folks saying that the Pirates may be a dark horse in the NL Central. Doesn't mean much but it is a lot better than the typical comments made this time of year about whether then will lose more or less than 100 games.

Post subject: Re: Don't look now . . .
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:11 pm 

Harold Reynolds just said Pirates could be a surprise team on the Dan Patrick show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 pm 

Scoobiedoo wrote:
Harold Reynolds just said Pirates could be a surprise team on the Dan Patrick show.

How does anyone say we are a "surprise" team? We were a surprise team last year, starting out getting massively outscored and keeping a winning record, and then having a historic June and July. We aren't going to surprise anyone this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:23 pm 

val wrote:
Scoobiedoo wrote:

How does anyone say we are a "surprise" team? We were a surprise team last year, starting out getting massively outscored and keeping a winning record, and then having a historic June and July. We aren't going to surprise anyone this year.

Come on Val, its "same-old Pirates" until the streak dies. No one in the media cares that we were good for 4 months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:37 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
val wrote:
Scoobiedoo wrote:

Come on Val, its "same-old Pirates" until the streak dies. No one in the media cares that we were good for 4 months.

I agree that the monkey is on our back until we break it. But lots of folks in the media can remember we were good for four months because they spent a ton of time writing about it. We showed some bounce last year. Now, unfortunately it was more of the dead-cat variety, but I still don't think we'll surprise anyone. Now, if the Cubbies win 60 games by August 1st, that will be a surprise.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:30 pm 

val wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
val wrote:

I agree that the monkey is on our back until we break it. But lots of folks in the media can remember we were good for four months because they spent a ton of time writing about it. We showed some bounce last year. Now, unfortunately it was more of the dead-cat variety, but I still don't think we'll surprise anyone. Now, if the Cubbies win 60 games by August 1st, that will be a surprise.

We are a novelty to the national media, if we start winning I bet every story will be Pirates are good for the 1st time in 21 years!