Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The veteran bench signings?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:05 pm 

Just my take:

I believe those bench guys were brought in for two reasons.

1. To provide as much veteran stability as possible to ensure a good start to the season. After two late season collapses, I think management is having night sweats about a slow start in April and May.

2. To be "June" trades" as injuries take their toll on other teams, they get dealt to contenders for some minor league depth, and then we bring up Mercer.

Post subject: Re: The veteran bench signings?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:46 pm 

1. Possibly close to the mark.

2. How have the last...*thinking* I don't know... 10 or so 'veteran' signings went? Other than Dotel (who netted JMac and Lambo), which veteran FA signings lasted long enough to net something of actual value in a trade? Aki, Overbay, Veras (who begat McGehee, who begat Qualls), Matt Diaz, McLouth... those all turned out to be rather pointless, or arguably 'regressive', signings. Surely there are more that could be cited.

It's far more likely that Inge and/or J-MacII are cut by July than traded by August. Best case scenario they're Barajas/Barmes redux; frustrating and polarazing contributors.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:57 pm 

Number 3 ...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:18 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
2. How have the last...*thinking* I don't know... 10 or so 'veteran' signings went? Other than Dotel (who netted JMac and Lambo), which veteran FA signings lasted long enough to net something of actual value in a trade? Aki, Overbay, Veras (who begat McGehee, who begat Qualls), Matt Diaz, McLouth... those all turned out to be rather pointless, or arguably 'regressive', signings. Surely there are more that could be cited.

This is the exact reason I have a hard time putting any stock at all in the "maybe internally the team wants veteran leadership there after the second half collapses the past two years" argument. I would think that the exact opposite would be true. By far one of the most fair, accurate criticisms of NH's tenure so far has been bringing in subpar to very bad veteran position players (I clarify "position players" because he has excelled in other others, such as the bullpen - you mentioned Dotel, Huntington has consistently strung together solid bullpens via FA signings or trades and also used them as quality trade bait like Dotel, Hanrahan, Veras, Carrasco, Lopez, Resop, Grilli). But with veteran position players (and here's a few more you didn't mention - Crosby, Church, Vasquez) that gets an alarming failing grade. To be fair, early on the system wasn't in the shape it was in now, and so you didn't always have options like a Mercer or Presley or Sands as potential immediate fill-ins with considerable upside to step in at the ML level, so sometimes unless you wanted to bring up a horrible non-prospect like Brian Bixler to play SS then someone like Bobby Crosby was your best option and that was just the reality. But overall, this strategy has simply not worked, and now that the Pirates do have some promising internal options to work with, it is increasingly bizarre and disappointing to make what are ultimately literally the exact same moves this year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:43 pm 

TheShark wrote:
...here's a few more you didn't mention - Crosby, Church, Vasquez

Thanks for mentioning them!

It's hard to remember them all! :D

TheShark wrote:
...But overall, this strategy has simply not worked, and now that the Pirates do have some promising internal options to work with, it is increasingly bizarre and disappointing to make what are ultimately literally the exact same moves this year.

*nodding*