Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: March 27 moves
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:55 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Robinson was claimed by the Blue Jays today. His best shot will come with an AL team anyway.

I just do not understand the team's obsession with keeping not one, but TWO no-hit, middle-infield backups.

Okay, fine, obtain McDonald in trade, but then demote Harrison. Keep Robinson on the team as a left-handed bench threat. A bench with three legit bats (Sanchez/Jones part of platoon, Tabata, and Robinson), plus the infield backup (McDonald), and a decent back-up C (McKenry) is far more intriguing than the Sanchez/Jones, Tabata, McDonald, Harrison, McKenry group - particularly where a righty is pitching and the Pirates have exactly ZERO left-handed bats off the bench.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:28 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
And as predicted, keeping Gomez has cost Clint Robinson a roster spot. I hope he clears waivers, I doubt it.

Robinson was claimed by the Blue Jays today. His best shot will come with an AL team anyway.

Adam Lind Insurance.

We all know that the last journeyman batter that the Jays got from the Pirates was one Joey Bats.

Great omen. Not worried one bit. Nope.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:31 pm 

I don't disagree with your frustration over losing Robinson or wanting to utilize the roster differently than carrying two back-up infielders, but it wouldn't have made any sense for Robinson to actually to make the team to start the season. He's a first baseman, and the Pirates are already going to have to allot playing time to two of those with the current platoon, let alone carry a third which would just be bizarre. What makes more sense is to keep another OF for the bench instead of the extra IF, such as Presley or Pie.

Robinson would have been good depth to have at AAA. The acquisition of Sands might have rendered him irrelevant to the FO, especially if they plan on giving Sands a lot of starts at 1B, which I expect they will now. Still, frustrating to lose an actually useful player while protecting the likes of Inge and Gomez.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:22 pm 

Robinson plays 1B only, but the Pirates have the advantage of Garrett Jones being able to do a reasonable job in RF. Therefore, if the Pirates want to do a 2-1 switch, they could put Robinson at 1B and Jones in RF.

Also, Robinson's role would be primarily as a legitimate left-handed bat off the bench. He would therefore provide two things that Harrison and McDonald do not - left-handed hitter, legitimate bat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:53 pm 

If Jones was the only first baseman then that scenario would make more sense but with Gaby also there in a platoon role with Jones, they simply wouldn't carry a third 1B just for PH opportunities. Plus I don't think Jones should be in the OF picture, it is nice that he is versatile enough to play there reasonably well if need be, but there are already two (younger) guys fighting for playing time at that position in Tabata and Snider. And again, that left-handed bat off the bench could be Presley, having another OF option rather than the two infielders actually makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:43 am 

I find it odd that Toronto claimed him and sent him to AA...Maybe there was something the Pirates saw in him that says he is not a Major Leaguer?

Gaby was getting work at 3rd this spring, I don't see why they couldn't have tried Robinson in the Outfield to see if he could play some out there.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:31 pm 

The could have tried Robinson in the outfield, but it's obvious from his body type that he's not capable of playing that position.

I'm surprised that they didn't put Morton or Hernandez on the 60 day DL so they could keep Robinson. Kinda shows how much they valued him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:58 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Gaby was getting work at 3rd this spring, I don't see why they couldn't have tried Robinson in the Outfield to see if he could play some out there.

We're going in circles now, once again there are already guys with a lot of upside fighting for OF playing time in Snider and Tabata (and you could even add someone like Presley or Sands as well), Robinson wasn't interesting enough that you would actually change his position (when he has the physique of a first baseman, at that) and give him a shot in the OF while leaving the others without playing time. Robinson was minor league depth at AAA, but good depth to have, and was still young enough to possibly break out and make an impact. I certainly find it very illogical to protect some of the players they did and let Robinson slip away, but as I said before, one thing I can think of is that maybe they found their replacements for them by acquiring Jerry Sands in the Hanrahan trade, who is a similar player but with more upside and actually can play corner OF as well as first.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:48 pm 

The odd thing about all these moves is that they seem to be like the Manatees from South Park writing Family Guy episodes.

They trade two low-level MiLeaguers for Robinson and Mazzaro (possible contribution guys), but then negate those additions in a solid move by trading Hammer for Sands, an actual ML ready reliever (Melancon) and another 'potential laden' pitcher (Pimentel). THEN they trade for Gomez , bring on Sanchez, sign Inge, trade for J-Mac2...

It seems aimless.

While it's understandable that a team would want to 'maximize their options' and 'cast a wide net', the Pirates have appeared to make a number of superfluous moves.

Granted, any/all these moves should not impact the ML team more than say... 10-15%, but it seems like the FO is either making moves for the sake of making moves or throwing darts at boards trying to 'strike oil'.

It's also probably easier for us as 'super fans' to pick nits since this is 'our team'. It's doubtful that any other fanbase or analyst gives a crap about any move the Bucs made this offseason outside of signing Martin and trading Hanrahan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I thought that the point of Clint Robinson was that he could become Garrett Jones.