Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: J. Sanchez, Inge make team
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:40 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
I'll take the Pirates based on a Gaby/Jones, Tabata/Snider, McKenry. This isn't the point JC, the point is that the Pirates bench is not any weaker than the division favorite. No team has great bench players top to bottom in MLB. The Tigers are going with Don Kelly again.

I disagree. I believe the Pirates' bench is "weaker" than the Cardinals' bench, and lacks youth and upside. I'll take Adams as a lefty thumper and decent prospect, Wigginton as a decent right-handed stick, Descalso as a young utility guy with some upside, and Cruz as a young backup catcher over the Pirates' McDonald, Inge, Sanchez, McKenry, and Tabata.

I agree it's minor, but it's still quite disappointing to me that, after five years of building up the farm system, Huntington doesn't have a guy like Matt Adams to turn to as a bench option and instead feels like he has to bring in guys like McDonald and Inge...

He does have younger guys as options, but perhaps this is about other things beyond stats. NH has a clubhouse that is used to losing and coming off two straight collapses. Maybe some leadership is needed. The players themselves made a big deal about losing McGahee last July. At any rate Inge will be on the DL so it will be Josh Harrison again. We are in agreement that Presley would be much more useful than Harrison.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:38 pm 

A.J. Burnett, Russell Martin, Jason Grilli, Clint Barmes. There are plenty of sources of veteran leadership -- including guys who have been part of successful MLB teams -- on the Pirates. The PBC does not need to load up its bench with old, declining players so that they can tell stories to keep the young 'uns focused.

If that's management's view, then I'm not pleased at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:44 pm 

I continue to be amazed at the level of consternation over Jordy Mercer and Alex Presley's demotion to AAA.

I may be in the minority on this issue but I'd rather have a player in a lineup everyday than sitting on the bench and playing sporadically at most. If the Bucs view Mercer as a potential everyday shortstop, then - IMO - Mercer should be playing everyday. Same with D'Arnaud when he comes off the DL. I don't see much value to having either player get 4-5 plate appearances per week.

FWIW, the Cardinals demoted Tavaras to AAA and have Robinson going north with the big club. Does anyone really think that Tavaras wouldn't be a better option off the bench than Robinson right now? Why would the Cardinals send a better player to AAA and keep a player of less talent?

The underlying theme seems to track previous arguments that Huntington's drafts have been a miserable failure. I took the time over lunch today to look at the Cardinals' drafts since 2008. While I cannot profess to know the bios of all of those players, I wasn't exactly blown away by the major league success of those drafted since 2008 (Huntington's first draft).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I continue to be amazed at the level of consternation over Jordy Mercer and Alex Presley's demotion to AAA.

I may be in the minority on this issue but I'd rather have a player in a lineup everyday than sitting on the bench and playing sporadically at most. If the Bucs view Mercer as a potential everyday shortstop, then - IMO - Mercer should be playing everyday. Same with D'Arnaud when he comes off the DL. I don't see much value to having either player get 4-5 plate appearances per week.

FWIW, the Cardinals demoted Tavaras to AAA and have Robinson going north with the big club. Does anyone really think that Tavaras wouldn't be a better option off the bench than Robinson right now? Why would the Cardinals send a better player to AAA and keep a player of less talent?

The underlying theme seems to track previous arguments that Huntington's drafts have been a miserable failure. I took the time over lunch today to look at the Cardinals' drafts since 2008. While I cannot profess to know the bios of all of those players, I wasn't exactly blown away by the major league success of those drafted since 2008 (Huntington's first draft).

The difference is that Taveras is a starting OF prospect, thus you want him starting. Mercer and Presley are MLB bench prospects, thus why not let them see if they can do that job? More critically, they are both at stages where its is now or never, they are not 21 year old's. You either see what they have or be faced with making an uneducated roster choice and let them go. I have less issue with Mercer, but Presley is certainly a more useful bat to have around.

BTW, Shane Robinson supports my view, he is a youngish MLB backup type prospect and the Cards are going with him instead of 35 year old vets.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:37 pm 

Additionally, due to the recent trends involving the allotting of playing time among such players, you have to realistically look at it as perhaps it is just a direct result of Clint Hurdle's preference to preferring veteran players and lack of faith in young players rather than a strategic move of letting the younger guys get ABs in AAA given that they might be a useful ML player in the future. It's very clear, for example, that the way he handled Mercer last year after his promotion of letting him do nothing for 4 months (even giving Harrison playing time before him as the back-up SS, when Harrison barely even knew that position and was having a dismal year at the plate) that he mainly just had no faith or interest in using him. So yeah, it's fine to take a guy like Inge as the 25th man if he is going to be the Mercer/Ciriaco of year's past, but I don't think the other half of that equation (that the younger players are actually being sent down for their benefit for the future) is necessarily in place if the recent past is any indication. Overall I think BD summed it up pretty well, especially if the FO's overall outlooks on these guys are indeed in the bench role realm.