Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J. Sanchez, Inge make team
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:29 am 

:?

Post subject: Re: J. Sanchez, Inge make team
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:32 am 

and Inge may go on the DL, so it may just be a delayed decision on him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 am 

Someone tell me why, after having more than five years to rebuild the Pirates, Neal Huntington has John McDonald and Brandon Inge as bench players for the 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates? Shouldn't the Bucs have younger, better options at this point?

This is disappointing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:03 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Someone tell me why, after having more than five years to rebuild the Pirates, Neal Huntington has John McDonald and Brandon Inge as bench players for the 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates? Shouldn't the Bucs have younger, better options at this point?

They do have those options (Mercer/DeJesus and Presley/Pie are fine IN/OF bench options), the fact that they're choosing to not go with them is the disappointing part.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:32 pm 

TheShark wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

They do have those options (Mercer/DeJesus and Presley/Pie are fine IN/OF bench options), the fact that they're choosing to not go with them is the disappointing part.

Maybe this is the right decision, maybe intangibles matter for a team that has blown two straight playoff spots. I say this as a Saber guy, but players swear by Inge and Johnny Mac.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:59 pm 

I said this in another thread, but this is either Hurdle insisting on having veterans or NH going with "proven" guys in an attempt to squeeze out enough wins to save his job. Problem is these aren't good veterans. Inge is done...has been for awhile. Sanchez stinks...has for a couple years now. McDonald can't hit and he is one of your pinch hitting options. This just makes no sense at all. I am not insinuating that Jordy Mercer, Dejesus, Locke, McPherson, etc are going to be future all stars, but it's time to find out what they can do. If you are replacing them with solid veterans then fine, but they aren't. They are replacing them with over the hill has beens. Dumb!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:01 pm 

I can understand the McDonald thing. Nice to have that steady glove available. I can understand the Sanchez thing. If he produces, he really helps with our depth. If he doesn't, I presume he's not costing that much.

But I can't understand the Inge thing. He's old, he can't hit, and I don't see where he helps at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:29 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

This is disappointing.

I would say it is a matter of a GM knowing his manager. If Mercer was there backing up Barmes Hurdle wouldn't use him. But with McDonald he will. Clint likes and trusts old players more than he does young players. That's why you saw Barmes not hit the entire first half of the year but remain at SS while Marte later in the year had a two week struggle at the plate and Hurdle benched him.

Biggest disappointment for me this season is they chose to keep Clint Hurdle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I can understand the McDonald thing. Nice to have that steady glove available. I can understand the Sanchez thing. If he produces, he really helps with our depth. If he doesn't, I presume he's not costing that much.

But I can't understand the Inge thing. He's old, he can't hit, and I don't see where he helps at all.

^ Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:59 pm 

The Sanchez thing I get. I don't get Inge. Is there really not a better option out there?

McDonald, I like only that you can pinch hit for Barmes in a close game and not worry about your defense in the late innings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:42 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
The Sanchez thing I get. I don't get Inge. Is there really not a better option out there?

McDonald, I like only that you can pinch hit for Barmes in a close game and not worry about your defense in the late innings.

Yeah, but who you gonna pinch hit with?? I would rather have a bat there on the bench than a defensive guy. Just my opinion though!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:46 pm 

Outside of Gaby Sanchez, the Pirates' bench players may as well bring a whiffle bat to the plate...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:00 pm 

Upon further review.

Maybe Inge and McDonald are an upgrade?

In all honesty, even at his age Inge may be a better BENCH player than those other options...as long as he is not getting many starts. Last year, he only had 12 HR and 54 RBI in just 330 at bats. That is more HR and more RBI than everyone on the Pirate roster except Cutch, Alvarez, Walker, and Jones.

Even JMac #2 hit 6 HR and had 22 RBI in just 200 at bats.

I know we all like JHarrison..the hustle and all. But let's face it, he hit .233 last year with just 3 HR and 16 RBI. Despite their advanced age, perhaps Inge and McDonald will be a better option off the bench.

Could Inge still catch an inning or two if necessary? Maybe that will allow Hurdle to PH McKenry or Russell more. Maybe the bench wont be bad.

Jones or Gaby
Snider or Tabata
Russell or McKenry
Inge
McDonald

Hopefully we can live with that!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:05 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Outside of Gaby Sanchez, the Pirates' bench players may as well bring a whiffle bat to the plate...

McKenry and Tabata disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:12 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

McKenry's 2012 was an outlier from an offensive standpoint, and don't tell me that Hurdle will be using his only backup catcher as his primary pinch hitter. That's not gonna happen.

Tabata, despite looking much better this year, lacks power and hits the ball on the ground too much.

And don't get me started on the lack of a reliable lefty stick on the pine...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:17 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

McKenry's 2012 was an outlier from an offensive standpoint, and don't tell me that Hurdle will be using his only backup catcher as his primary pinch hitter. That's not gonna happen.

Tabata, despite looking much better this year, lacks power and hits the ball on the ground too much.

Even at his age, Inge should be able to provide some depth as a third catcher, so Hurdle may indeed use McKenry or Russell to PH.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:36 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Have you reviewed the Cardinals bench? Their 2012 ops listed -

Tony Cruz .632, Ty Wigginton .688, Daniel Descalso .627, Shane Robinson .665, Matt Adams .669

Be realistic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:41 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Also, McKenry hit very well throughout his MiLB career. He has two MLB season's one where he hit and one where he didn't. You pick the outlier.

And, I'd be willing to bet that Tabata hits a lot more like he did over the final 4 months of 2012 (and his previous career), than he did in 2 bad months last spring.

I wanted Presley as a lefty and he may still make it since Inge is likely DL bound, but they do have Snider if Tabata starts in RF some. Against LH starters the bench has Jones and Snider along with Fort.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:25 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Have you reviewed the Cardinals bench? Their 2012 ops listed -

Tony Cruz .632, Ty Wigginton .688, Daniel Descalso .627, Shane Robinson .665, Matt Adams .669

Be realistic.

Are you serious?

Look at Matt Adams' minor league numbers:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... pid=571431

Yeah. 50 homers the last two years in the minors, hitting at least .300 every year, and an average OPS well over .900. That's a young lefty bat off the bench with power and hit tool pedigree.

Also, Ty Wigginton may not get on base much, but he has some pop.

Finally, the Cardinals don't need as much firepower on the pine because they have a TON of it in their lineup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:33 pm 

While it may be all in good fun to debate whether it is better to have Brandon Inge, Chase D'Arnaud, Jordy Mercer or Ivan DeJesus on the bench to serve as a pinch hitter or to make a spot start every 2 weeks, it is my personal opinion that the debate is not particularly meaningful in the scheme of what will make this team successful or not successful in 2013.

If Pedro Alvarez doesn't meaningfully produce at the plate in April or May, this team is in trouble.
If Starling Marte doesn't materially advance his OBP and make meaningful strides at the plate, this team is in trouble.
If Neil Walker's back is not healthy, this team is in trouble.
If Russell Martin is the second coming of Rod Barajas at the plate, this team is in trouble.
If the planned platoons at 1B or RF result in lousy production, this team is in trouble.
If the starting pitching blows, this team is toast.

This is neither a defense nor an indictment of Huntington. The difference between what Inge brings to the table or DeJesus brings to the table - at least to me - is not worth the worry. Its not going to keep me awake at night. Would I rather have a Lee Lacy and Gary Varsho coming off the bench? Yeah, I would. But . . . what's going to keep me awake at night will be (1) whether Alvarez continues to K at alarming rates; (2) whether James McDonald looks like post-All Star break McDonald; (3) whether Marte turns out to be the real deal; (4) whether some combination of Sanchez, Locke, Gomez and McPherson can man the 4th and 5th spot until Liriano, Morton, Karstens and/or Cole are ready. Those are the issues of concern for me. This other stuff is simply minor background noise.